install advice re 6 gauge cluster

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
henpecked

install advice re 6 gauge cluster

Post by henpecked » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi all

I'm looking at putting a 6 gauge analogue cluster into my silver brumby.

I've got the wider touring dash and the wider analogue cluster, but I'm looking for some help re getting prep done for the install.

I gather I need the appropriate oil pressure sender, are there other sneders that I need to change/replace ?

Also - what is the best way to go about planning for the electrical connection issues, I gather that its not plug and play from a standard Brumby to an analogue 6-gauge cluster.

I don't have the loom from the 6-gauge cluster donor car.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

cheers :D

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:28 pm

showpost.php?p=227667&postcount=80

I went from digi to 6 gauge but I dare say some of the colors are the same across all cars of the era.

And sorry for the crudity of my notes, they were cheat sheets that I used before testing what each wire did.

Regards

Doug

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:46 pm

was told you need the anolouge dash fuel sender

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Do you mean you don't have the loom from behind the cluster or the engine bay loom from the donor car?
You will ideally need to find a cluster loom if that's the case cause you are going from 3 round multi connection plugs down to 2, on the back of the instrument panel.
What was the donor car?
If it wasn't a touring wagon, you wont have the Hi/Lo 4wd lights on the dash so will need to rig those up somehow.
If it was from a sedan or coupe check the headlight fuses of the donor loom (whether you have one or are going to source one), as some had 2x10 amp fuses and only 1 tin top relay, instead of 2x15 and 2 relays.
You will need the 2 wire, fuel tank sender unit, if you want the low fuel warning light on the dash to function.
For this, you may also need to run an extra wire from the plugs next to the hood pull lever, back to the rear loom connectors which sit just forward of the rear wheel arch (via the first access panel in tray behind the driver) as some Brumby's don't have this wire from the factory.
Did you get the wider cowl too? (the bit that the lights and wiper switches are fixed to)
Also if you have an intermittent wiper switch now on that cowl, you'll need the intermittent relay can, that goes with it.
Cheers, John

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Hp,

It's been sometime since I've done this but I'll hopefully be doing it again soon. Last time I did it I remember the wiring being plug and play (search Sunnie the Brumby in the resto sub forum) if you've got the wiring from the donor vehicle that matches the 6 gauge cluster.

For the oil pressure sender unit I used the one from the donor vehicle and utilised the original oil warning light wire at the engine end on the pressure sender unit. The only thing I have not worked out is where the fuel cut solenoid is located as the donor wiring for the dash makes the pump run all the time with ign ON.

I didn't know about the relay amperage differences. I'll have to look at that...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:31 am

Thanks for the replies and PMs
I will be writing all this up and posting when its done .

I'm starting with

1) bog standard Brumby dash and cluster.
2) 6 gauge analogue with no loom
3) bare touring wagon dash - no loom or digi cluster.

so far advice has been

A) brumby standard to analogue - generally plug and play with some issues, but wires are often not same colour.

B) Digi dash to Analogue dash - significant issues with wrining.

fortunately I'm A) above

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 am

NOOOOOO!!!!! A) is not plug and play unless you have the analogue dash's wiring loom.
It is only plug/play (with the correct dash loom) at the 3 main plugs at the firewall, above the pedals.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:58 am

Depending on what year/model your cluster came from compared to your Brumby you could be in for a real headache like me. From the sounds of it if you don't have the loom with the correct plugs at the back of the 6 gauge cluster you're going to have to either find one or make one from scratch :neutral: If you want to find the wiring it needs to be from the same model of car (wagon/sedan), same year with the same accessories or the wiring could be different to what was meant for your cluster. If your ute has single or quad headlights then the wiring you need should be for matching headlights. I'm in a pickle because my 6 gauge wiring was for a NZ model and is completely different to AUS models. So we're making no assumptions, it should be said that the wiring in your bog standard brumby dash WILL NOT plug into the 6 gauge cluster as it is. And depending on the year of your 6 gauge it might have had 2 completely different kinds of fuse box.

Apart from that, oil pressure sender and fuel level sender are different, 4WD lights could be tricky if your 6 gauge cluster doesn't have them (4WD and LO lights) plus if your cluster came from a 4 door the lights for the door open warnings might be different.

Ideally you would need an FSM with the pin outs for your cluster labelled so you can see what you've got. I have 2 of these at home for different years but alas I am not in the country at the moment.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:18 pm

I'll get my second cluster conversion sorted and get back to you.

The first conversion went well without the need to change masses of wiring, if any at all. I just remember starting to sort it all out, cut off all the duct tape only to work out that it should all plug and play - which for the last 5 or 6 years it has :D

SB, you're biggest issue is that you've got an NZ wiring loom, which could possibly be a JDM wiring loom too knowing the NZ car market.

I know both of my clusters do not have the 4wd lights, I'm not sure if I'll do anything about that...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”