What is the value of a full power steering setup for a Brumby?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Phizinza
General Member

What is the value of a full power steering setup for a Brumby?

Post by Phizinza » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Trying to figure out if I modify my EJ lines to fit the MY rack and sell all the bits for Brumby power steering minus the rack or if I get an L series rack and sell the MY stuff as a complete kit. So how much can a complete kit actually sell for?

Thanks
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:50 pm

~$600 in good condition. Leak and noise free.
There was one forsale not long a go for $2000! Not sure if its still there but its want to be new at that price.
If you going to the effort of shortening the L rack you may aswell go an EJ rack. Then not need to swap fittings just mod mounts and shorten it.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:51 pm

I don't know, but if you are smart, take my tip, and don't lend any essential part out of it to SilverBullet without a full price ($600?) deposit :)

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:00 pm

I've read the EJ pipes fit straight to L rack. The rack I have doesn't leak, but the pump is a bit oily, think it probably happened from the cap over the bumps though.

Do they really fetch $500-$600?? I know I've seen around that for an asking price but do they actually sell for that?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:16 pm

I paid 100 dollars just for an "MY" power steering rack in as is condition, no boots, no outer tie rods not even the hydraulic lines. It did have the clamps and bolts though :)

Reconditioned racks on Ebay start at 300 dollars and go up and over 500 dollars.

500 - 600 dollars for everything is reasonable, as long as the rack isn't leaking and has all the stuff needed to make it work.

I bought 2 rack boots genuine from Subaru, they cost 165 dollars for the pair and that was just the boots.

And yes the EJ PS pipes bolt directly into the L series rack.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 am

and stupid here threw one out, so you have an estimate of what i valued them at (at that time) I did not think MY and L racks and rackends could interchange due to male/male or femal/female thread ends...or was that so not to mix manual and PS rack ends ?

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Got mine for free and then paid top dollar to get it reconditioned. If they're reconditioned and preferably unused then they will fetch 500-600 as it costs 700 to do (well it cost me that because I had to have mine rechromed).

Working out of a car I wouldn't want to be paying more than $200 as you seriously have no idea what issues you are going to have in the long run.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:56 pm

steptoe wrote:and stupid here threw one out, so you have an estimate of what i valued them at (at that time) I did not think MY and L racks and rackends could interchange due to male/male or femal/female thread ends...or was that so not to mix manual and PS rack ends ?
Yeah, bumped into this problem but I'll just make up some adapting threads.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:21 pm

What is actually required to convert an MY from standard to PS ? I saw one in the local wreckers this morning and obviously you need the parts that bolt to the engine (I assume the 3 pulley crank is the same as the AC one), but what about the actual rack itself ?
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:27 pm

You need the rack and it's brackets, the steering linkage, jacking plate and bolts (unless you reuse your brumby one you'll drill out and bolt back in), thermostat housing, pump with front and rear brakets and the pulley which is the same as every other 3 belt pulley unit.

It's an awesome upgrade, makes the brumby feel much much lighter! From the wreckers you should get it for a good price, regardless of it's condition. So far I've got away with just cleaning the grime off and rebooting the rack in two Brumbys.

I'd be back down there now pulling that out! What wreckers and what model is it out of? 6 gauge cluster available??? If so grab it for other forum members, guarantee you'll get your money and efforts repaid!

I wish I lived closer to the Melbourne wreckers. Shepp is just too far to make a massive day of it safely/easily.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:19 pm

dfoyl wrote:What is actually required to convert an MY from standard to PS ? I saw one in the local wreckers this morning and obviously you need the parts that bolt to the engine (I assume the 3 pulley crank is the same as the AC one), but what about the actual rack itself ?
go to here

"HOW TO" for fitting e81 P/S to a brumby ?

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Phizinza wrote:Trying to figure out if I modify my EJ lines to fit the MY rack and sell all the bits for Brumby power steering minus the rack or if I get an L series rack and sell the MY stuff as a complete kit. So how much can a complete kit actually sell for?

Thanks
apparently $600

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coffs-ha ... 1083780336

quote :" Complete Power Steering Kit to suit Subaru Brumby.

Currently fully operative in an 84 MY Leone Touring Wagon.

All parts including Pump,Rack,Hoses,Pulley,Brackets

Belt,Thermostat Housing, Nuts,Bolts Etc

Fits all Brumby's 81-92 + Leone Models to 1984.

These are Very RARE & Sought after,so be Quick
"

sublime

Post by sublime » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:31 pm

I find the $600 that is regularly asked for complete power steering 'kits' rather excessive when you can often pick up complete MY touring wagons for $500 -$1200.

I suppose you will have to get rid of the left overs but a wagon will supply a lot of extra spare parts.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:23 am

That's the same seller who wants $130 for a standard (not even a slanted!) radio console on eBay...some of these sellers need to realize most of these parts are still available at the average wrecker...
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Return to “Subaru Chat”