MY towing a car trailer

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
JP147

Post by JP147 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:17 am

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU wrote:I've towed 750KG with an automatic L series running a 2inch exhaust and I gotta say the feeling was not fun I was nervous all the way and I couldn't climb hills faster than about 60KPH. With an MY towing 1600 KG you'd probably roll backwards down any hills assuming you don't break something.....
No hills where I'm going. I'd be more worried about going down the hills if there were.

I do still remember reading about brendan's accodent in street machine while towing his xpiggy burnout car about 10 years ago. Towing a VN being a Falcon and the trailer started swaying and put them into an oncoming van.

But they were going at pretty high speed, what's the worst that can happen at 60km/h?

And does it help that the Subaru itself will be heavily loaded?

Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:24 pm

The extra weight will reduce sway, but it will also reduce your braking ability (which in an MY is already way under what it should be).

If you do it, I'd keep it to yourself. I've met a cop who owned a drift car (S15) and he said the police do crawl some forums to catch people doing stupid sh!t. So what I'm saying is, if you admit to doing it than you could be fined for it without even being caught in the act.

Plus, it's best not to give more people the idea of doing it. :P
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

purp

Post by purp » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:09 pm

I've towed a box trailer of wood pushing the 1000kg mark with an L series. It was really starting to push the car around, and certainly not something I'd recommend at speed/distance/extra 500kg.

Also, I started to become concerned at just how the tow bar is bolted to my L. Not sure how solid it is on on MY.

Ps, for the popo reading, I as totally driving on private property....

mattw

Post by mattw » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:53 pm

No way! That's my advice. I'd be suprised if they will hire you the trailer, as they would be liable as well. A court case some years ago set that precedence. In my experience Kennards refuse to hire a car trailer to anyone who doesn't show up in a 4wd.

KiwiL

Post by KiwiL » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:05 pm

I'd recommend against towing it with your MY... I've towed a KP Starlet rally car on a single-axle unbraked trailer behind a 2008 2.0 Impreza and that was not fun. The car + trailer would have been pushing a ton, at least, and it had no power at all up hills, and braking was bad enough. This in a car some 25 years newer than your MY, with twice the power, at least twice the brakes and a stronger chassis.

Even behind Dad's 2007 V6 Pathfinder it was quite noticeable and braking/accelerating/handling was seriously affected. And this thing usually tows our 4.9m Stabicraft alloy boat like it's not even there...

I suspect 1600kg on an MY would probably kill it, you'd be risking bending the towbar/subframe/ car body I would say!

tambox

Post by tambox » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Its not just the rating of the vehicle, there are different design tow bars that have different load capacities.
If you do it, I think it would be a "once in a lifetime experience"
A short practice run might answer all your questions, quickly.:)
L serious, still.

coxy

Post by coxy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:30 pm

Plenty of Idiots especially ones towing Big Boats even behind full Size 4WD's, The Laws are there for a reason when it comes to Towing.

Here in NSW back in the early 1990's all of a sudden the rules changed and people were getting booked towing Rally Cars behind Holden and Falcon Utes, Suddenly yhe only legal option was a vehicle with a One Tonne Load rating.
That is why all of a sudden Falcon Utes suddenly came with heavier rear springs and a One Ton rating sticker.

The real Truth is that many things such as Boats over 25 Feet length, Full size Cars or 4WD's on Car Trailers are in fact only legally able to be towed behind a t least a Light Truck.

All the different Roads Authorities will have the details for each state available online and do not forget what is legal in your home state may not be so over the border.

So when considering towing Stay Safe, Stay Legal and Stay Alive, No point going off to get that rare or desireable older Model if you do not Make it Home intact.

SubiDave

Post by SubiDave » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:51 pm

I agree with all the comments, dont do it, however the weight of the vehicle does not influence the towing capacity as some have suggested, its the vehicles braking capacity, I have a toyota townace van that hovers arround the 1 tonne mark, and have had no probs whatsoever towing an 700kg unbraked caravan behind it. Also alot of the new 4wd utes, ie ranger, bravo etc have a 3.5 tonne towing capacity and thus, they weight no where near 3.5 tonne themselves.

Return to “Subaru Chat”