BRUMBY wheel alignment.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

BRUMBY wheel alignment.

Post by Gazza01 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Young fellow at my place has has a 2 inch lift kit installed on his Brumby, however every time he goes for a wheel alignment the wheel alignment people tell him they can't guarantee it as being true due to the fact his had a lift kit installed. The lift kit is installed correctly and the vehicle has been lifted on all required points and the vehicle is all "square". Can someone tell me how a lift kit affects a wheel alignment if the lift kit has been correctly installed.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:31 pm

Theoretically the lift kit can move ? flex ? causing the machine to give a poor or false reading.

You may want to find a place that does small trucks and 4WDs that way you can get someone with experience with lift kits to do the wheel alignment.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

tambox

Post by tambox » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Some lift kits are borderline with the front camber settings, if everything is straight, the rest should be no problems.
L serious, still.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:34 pm

If it is a steal lift kit tak weld in a suitable spot to stop it moving or flexing. It should not effect the front camber and castor if installed correctly
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks guys.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:01 pm

The only adjustable settings on the Brumby's suspension geometry is the toe on the front. All other aspects require mods most consider not to be legal or safe.

Most MY wagons and Brumby's that I've checks wheel alignment on have reasonably drastic differences between left and right side, this includes camber front and rear and toe in the rear. All these aren't 'adjustable' without drilling, welding, etc.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Ethi69

Lift kit and steering

Post by Ethi69 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Matt wrote:If it is a steal lift kit tak weld in a suitable spot to stop it moving or flexing. It should not effect the front camber and castor if installed correctly
Hi Matt, I'm new to all this but if I could ask a question about your rig "Claudia" any info would be sweet. Yeah so I'm in the same boat with regards to 2" lift and 27" tyres on a banged up brumby which is gunna climb Mt Everest hopefully. Last owner didn't take any care of it so I'll give it the tlc it deserves. Already has an ej22 motor in it too which is hummin strong... In a good way. My question to you though is what have you done to stop the tyres from hitting the wheel arches when turning and is your steering on the road really loose? As in if you touch the steering wheel a bit the car will really roll into the direction. This brumby though will only mainly be for 4x4 to show up my mates 30 grand lux's and patrols

tony90

Post by tony90 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:48 pm

My Brumby has a 2" lift kit and tyre wears great.
Wears the outside edge smooth, with the rest of the tyre on wear limit markers.
Top strut mounts have set the strut inwards to make the camber closer to 0 degree.
Can't tell you settings as never been wheel aligned.
If the kit is made solid, alignment should never change compared to the original equipment.
Just have trouble destroying inner CV joints and dustboots.

Return to “Subaru Chat”