Updates, new cars, scrapping cars, I'm back I guess

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
T.Farm.Brumby

Updates, new cars, scrapping cars, I'm back I guess

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:42 pm

Okay so it's been a long time since I've been around here. Uni got hectic and I replaced the old beast (RX Turbo) with an MY04 H6 Outback (I'll get a thread going for her soon enough) so mods have been shelved for a while and I've just been enjoying driving a "new" car.

Anyways, I'm parting the RX Turbo out if anyone wants bits.

The running gear, electrics and suspension aren't going anywhere (plans for a newly acquired brumby). The rear seats, all the seatbelts, rear door moulding things and the boot including spoiler are all already sold.

I know that doesn't leave much but if anyone wants interior bits or panels, hit me up.

0432 874 280
t.j.g.farmer@gmail.com

In other news, I bought one of the parents' Brumbies off them ($500, robbed them) and it is soon to acquire some good bits out of the RX all things going well. I have a few questions though.

Did anyone hear any results from steptoe about his 5sp onto ea81 where he planned to just use a 4wd L box and a machined ea81 flywheel with a full L clutch kit? Because that would make life a lot simpler putting the L gearbox and rear LSD into the Brumby.

Looking at buying 99 foz GT seats (found some cheap up here) for the Brumby, found something searching in the archive that said they'd fit with "minimal" mods, has anyone who's still around here done this and if so, did it turn out alright? I'm more interested in the result of it and if it's worth doing, not just "yeah mate look it up, it can be done".

If anyone has any 15" wheels they feel like parting with, I can scrounge up some hens teeth to trade for them. Legit, I need a set of 15"s or a ********* kit and I can't find either anywhere, so if anyone gets onto either, please :D

Cheers,
Tom.

PS. Sorry for the essay, it's just been a while so I thought updating was necessary.

PPS. I'm still selling the better part of an entire L series fwd sedan if anyone needs parts (don't ask about a gear shift surround, we've been over it 3 times now).

PPPS. Also selling a set of stock rims, 3 x H-style 13" mags (RX Turbo I believe) and a 3.7 rear diff (assumed good condition, spins quiet and smooth in both directions).
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:22 am

I copied this down, just yesterday from a FB page....Posted by Giles in the UK (member here too)

"Seats into brumby...
Forester MK 1 & facelift ones work well as do IMPREZA 1 & 2
Clear off all mountings to new seat base using cutting disc.
Remove MV / Brumby / Brat seat runners bolt into truck then float the seat onto them and align up.
Tack weld ( carefully ) them together then remove and fully weld.
Job done.
You may need to trim edge of sill cover and you use MV seat belt anchors ( remove the ones from seat )
Comfort and driving position is improved 1 million per cent"

Re the 5sp clutch kit with EA81 flywheel:- My Brumby is EJ'd but runs the Ea81 flywheel with the L series clutch and L 5sp box.
It all bolts together fine, BUT, there will be bugger all clamping pressure on the clutch plate unless you get the flywheel inner step machined deeper by 2mm (the part where the clutch plate rubs the flywheel) OR, you can do what I had done, which was get 2mm machined off the pressure plate face. Same same either way!! This is in my car and has been driving well for the last 2 months.
Hope this helps
John

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:35 am

Thanks for that mate, very helpful :)

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:06 pm

Errr John, don't you mean the other way around? re machining flywheel; reduce the part where the pressure plate bolts on (NOT where the friction plate rubs!) Stock is 23mm, needs to be reduced to 21mm to increase clamping pressure and use all L series clutch kit.

Mine is pictured below; the friction plate surface was skimmed just to clean up. The dowels were pulled out of the higher surface and then 2mm machined off, distance from the pressure plate bolting surface to the friction surface now 21mm.

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:01 pm

Hmmm, this gets interesting!
I dropped off to the clutch manufacturers my EA81 flywheel and my EA82 pressure plate (plus also in the box was my EA81 old pressure plate, which was just for demo purposes)
I showed them where I wanted the 2mm machined off (the outer step with the dowels as you have had done) and left it with them.

Next day when I picked it up they said 'we didn't machine the flywheel, instead we machined the cast iron frame of the pressure plate' ....which was duly tested and had good clamping pressure they said.
So I fitted it and it works great.
Didn't think any more of it til your reply to this thread which made me scratch my head as to what was done!!
A quick phone call this morning has revealed that they machined the thicker cast iron part of the EA81 pressure plate (the bit that rubs on the clutch plate) and mated it with the outer frame of the EA82 pressure plate (the bit with all the fingers) i.e. they mixed and matched both pressure plates!!
More than 1 way to skin a cat as they say!!
JB

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Tom, I am doing a short run of XT6 rear hubs in the coming months if you're interested - the rest of the C-r-oss**** kit you can cobble together easily enough (I did it, twice, so it can't be that hard). See my thread on USMB for progress (I'll be putting together a offer for AUSubaru members once final design is validated).
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:55 pm

^ that sounds way too complicated. What happens when you need a new pressure plate? No off the shelf items and you'll need two clutch pressure plates to make this unit :/

Just food for thought. I'd be frustrated that they didn't do as I asked with the skimming of the flywheel. But that's just me.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Well now this is awkward! :rolleyes: Didn't mean to completely derail this thread from post #4 (sorry Tom! :eek: ) Have you driven your car with this setup John? As I haven't driven mine yet either with my modded flywheel, I guess there is a wait to see who's is right :rolleyes:

You took it to the pros, if they say they tested it and they had all the bits there to look at I'm sure you'll be right. I just went with some comments from people I've never met over the internet after all :mrgreen:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:13 pm

I was a bit frustrated at first that it wasn't what I had asked for, but it was done by a major place here in Brisbane, who have had plenty of experience with Subaru's, so I just went with it (and it works fine)
I did also ask about what would happen when it came time to change a clutch and/or pressure plate and the answer was it will just use a standard L clutch kit and reuse the machined cast iron frame on the new pressure plate (undo 6x 10mm bolts and swap, so no biggie) and it would have heaps of light skims of the friction surface if necessary.
JB

Edit.....Yes SB, the car has been driving for the last 2 months or so and all is well!!

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:15 pm

dfoyl wrote:Tom, I am doing a short run of XT6 rear hubs in the coming months if you're interested - the rest of the C-r-oss**** kit you can cobble together easily enough (I did it, twice, so it can't be that hard). See my thread on USMB for progress (I'll be putting together a offer for AUSubaru members once final design is validated).
That would be great actually! I can't get onto usmb for some reason, I have tried sending a password reset but it's just stuck on the security check part :(

If you could contact me at t.j.g.farmer@gmail.com when you're looking at getting them done that would be awesome.

And in regards to "derailing" the thread, what you're doing is the opposite hahaha. It's all just more info and options to think about :D

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Return to “Subaru Chat”