Brumby power steering rack rebuild kits?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
hack92

Brumby power steering rack rebuild kits?

Post by hack92 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:48 am

Does anyone know the best place to get the bits to rebuild my power steering rack. I have had the necessary internal shafts re-chromed back to standard size just need to get the seals to suit. I am asking this because I would prefer not to put it into the same people who repaired it last time and it did not last so I have taken it on myself to get the internals fixed (manufactured back to standard size) properly before I have it rebuilt or if I can get the bits I will do it myself. I am in Brisbane its fitted to a 1992 brumby but not sure what year MY it originally came out of.
Thanks if anyone can help.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:37 am

Contact frog and ask him - he works at a dealership and posts parts to forum members ;)

If you have the vin of the donor car it'll help with getting all the required bits. Afaik there were no changes in the build of the my power steering rack so it should all be the same part numbers.

I really need to do the same. How did you know you needed to rechrome the internals and was it expensive?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

hack92

Post by hack92 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks for someone getting back to me. The shaft had wear marks on one side of the centre O-ring/seal quite bad and the other side has minor marks but the re-chroming place said they always do both sides of the centre seal so the whole shaft has been done. The cost $220 plus a kit for the rebuild or I take it back to the original repairers and they said $280 with the 12 month warranty for a rebuild. The big issue is this is the 4th time I have had the multiply steering racks I have, repaired, but the first time I have gone and had the internals re-manufactured back to standard size. I know it is a bit extra but I'm sick of having them redone, I'm sure they linish the old shaft but it really has not worked long term for me. I don't know what this rack is out of other than its an MY Wagon don't know what year but. If I can get a kit it does not appear to be to hard to reassembly and I am not making light of what the repairers do but I thing the MY racks are a pretty simple design. This particular rack has been repaired before but again started leaking soon after the warranty was out so its done low KLMs and has been sitting in my shed waiting which makes me thing it was the shafts and not the seals so I may just try the old seals on the new shafts as an experiment if I cant get a kit. I will try and contact the bloke you said and see what he can do. Thanks for your reply

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sun May 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Unfortunately most of the Subaru Parts for steering racks are no longer available both manual and power. As i have to go down the same track. (Already spoke to Frog aka Andy)
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

hack92

Post by hack92 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Have a well known bearing/seal shop (Brisbane) sourcing the o-rings and seals to suit my power steering rack, so will let you know how they go with supplying the bits.

coxy

Post by coxy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Try this Guy, David Bluff he was a Power Steering Guru when PBR existed and still manufactured Power Steer racks in Arncliffe Sydney NSW before the Government and GMH and Ford sent yet more Aussie Jobs to China.

He rebuilt Disco's L series Power Steer pump for him and all his years at PBR should have amounted to some real knowledge.

Power Steering Systems Pty Limited
62 Mannikin Dr
Woronora Heights, NSW 2233, Australia
Phone: 295217511

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Boxer Service in Brendale did a full power steering system rebuild for my Brumby including re-chrome a number of years ago and it has been absolutely bulletproof ever since...

hack92

Post by hack92 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks everyone, I have obtained all the seals and O rings from SIL seal importers at Acacia Ridge Brisbane. I have just reassembled my rack and will fit it in the next day or so. The rack went back together easily, I have used blue Hydraulic seals (where I could) instead of the black pneumatic seals that where used by the power steering repairers. I used these on the advise of this seal company the seals are rated at 6000psi as opposed to 150 psi for the pneumatic seals. I hope I have finally fixed this on going issue.
Will let you all know once I have fitted it back to the Brumby and used it .

coxy

Post by coxy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:42 am

Good luck your approach is on the Money let us know how it goes cheers Steve.

I guess I am lucky, David is just down the road from me and he was a Power Steering Design Engineer so really does know his stuff.

hack92

Post by hack92 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:02 pm

The rack is back in the brumby and working great. I think I will have success this time, will let you all know if the wheels fall off and how many ks I get out of this rack. I have thought that the exhaust position being so close to the rack at the same position as where the seals are is a weak point. I have wrapped a heat shielding tape around the exhausts which was put on last time the rack was done by the professionals. This time the only difference is the better quality seals (blue hydraulic seals) and the re chromed rack shaft so time will tell.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:35 am

There should be a factory heat shield as well probably long gone by now it is just a shaped piece of mild steel that goes in the bolt holes the rack bolts into.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “Subaru Chat”