MV Brumby brake pads differences ??

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
steptoe
Master Member

MV Brumby brake pads differences ??

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:16 pm

OK, long time ago I wandered into a brake joint sprouting 10/84 earlier post had a typo - 10/81 :oops: Brumby, wanted front pads.He sold me DB326. They either did not fit, maybe did not look same as ones that came out, but anyway I recall coming away with a swap - for DB426. No problems since. Have recent years fitted up Bendix DB426 to an 89 Brumby with ...OK, reco calipers from Rockauto

Just figuring everything pretty much for these 84 to 94 Brumbies are the same and DB326 may have been for 83 and early 84 models. My 10/84 might have been a 85 ModelYear, compliance plated 10/84 or had calipers swapped in somewhere in its lifetime before me.

Just pulled out some not so happy with US sourced Bendix DB426 that went in last August late one night. Have found the inner right pad has well, separated from its backing plate due to a bend in the backing plate !

Something, such as the anti rattle do dad clip on the inside lower of the caliper looks like it was preventing the pad from full even pressure. I got uneven wear in these pads to reflect the bent backing plate, and on trying to fit the new pads up the bloody little anti rattle was getting in the way of the pad backing plate, not allowing pad material to sit neatly on the disc (same for the run in titanium strip stuff slapped on the pad face !)

Having decided Oz Bendix DB426 GCT were for this job on my 92 Brumby - this time fitting up calipers I have reco'd myself, [yup, worked out where to get complete kit, undo the handbrake stuff and used genuine tiny O ring and orange grease] calipers that I pulled off same ute in Augst when the left caliper did not wanna work after piston pushed back. Muttering something about 450,000 odd km on its dial :(

OK, now I have DB426 ingrained on the brain the brake supplier reckoned DB392 ? were the listing and always have been. DB42 are the same excpet for the inner pads have an extra flat metal spring clip attached.

On previous fittings I have slipped that tension spring under the anti rattle clip, but today been more wary of things and busted the bloody thing off to make them ....more like a DB392 (if that is the number I should be remembering!)

Yes, where was I ?? What I found on pull apart was the inner pads lower anti ratle clip had been gouging into the inner disc surface :( They are only the lightest of spring steel, woulda thought it would have crumpled, rather than the backing plate bend !!

Hmmm

my 2003 listing of Bendix stuff has a listing for a Brumby pick up ...81-84 DB392
then it lists Brumby pick up 4WD 82 - 85 ....DB326
then it lists Brumby Pick up 4WD Mar 85 - 94 ...DB426

Curious as to where and what the differences are/were ?

I might have got a misprint catalogue ??

And, not to leave Willy and his Fugly mates out of this DB112 for 78-80 Brumby

Maybe someone managed to shove in some DB326 calipers on the 450,000km ? And of course, the pads that came out last time, no longer able to read their numbers, or have them to read anymore .

This 92 ute is jinxed with brakes - calipers and master cylinder.

Learnt my lesson before, so this time also using hose clamps to make bleeding a dream - or so I thought. Did one side, got it nice, took it for a drive around the block. Next side, LHS same bloody PITA as the last time !!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:43 pm

aha....looking at the picture samples

DB326 are 15mm, 109.7mm long
DB392 are 14.8mm, 108.8mm long

other than length - look the same shadow outline etc different to the

DB426 @ 14.8mm , length not stated but i have a sample which are US sourced so not technically born as DB426 108.3 mm

excuse me while i tear out pages 135 - 142 [non subie anyway] so i can compare side by side

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Early brumbys had non vented caliper? Not sure if thats correct.
Just bought a set of DB426 for my 92 brumby off ebay for a whole 29 dollars delivered.
Not sure what they are trying to sell you Jonno.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:13 pm

well the trusted brake dude [ lived and breathed brakes for nearly 40 years now} reckons his pen written notes of 392s do the job, his wholesaler expressed would be happy to get rid of his only set of DB426 !
Yeah, Toonga all I have seen is venteds on Brumbies ! Let us know if you have all the anti rattle clips installed, the shim on the back of the pad and can get the inner lower spring thing in as well. Mine, busted them off !

Thinking maybe my 84 Brumby may have been swapped from solids to venteds if that Mar 85 onwards thing is an indication of swap from solids to vented at factory ??

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 pm

might just be if 392's can be fitted to all models, coz it is the shortest, and one of the thinnest - one less part number to stock [the DB426} ?

Brakes are nice now. I did the Subaru tech of the 80's recommended loosen of the handbrake at the adjuster, pumped the pedal [sort of like crazy :) , engine off and bled off more fine air bubles [edit, sorry Michael] I reckon a dry or reco caliper might just need some pressure and crazy pumping to get every skerrick of air replaced with fluid.

And with a few short drives and a sort of break in procedure even though the titanium stripe supposed to not make break in necessary she is braking nice and bitey. Time to look at the rears - had some shoes and cylinders sitting about for some time. Not even looked at them in the 96,000km - just adjusted every oil change.

Gonna do an inspect if a week or so time, check how the pads are, and maybe fit up some new anti rattle clips I got from Rock last year :)

My problem may have been due to bodgy clips ? Or that retainer spring rivetted to the inner pads. They gone now - too late !

Been dodging the dearer Bendix for years but previous owner of my ute was a spendthrift and bought quality stuff - had Bendix metals in her. The replacement import Bendix were no match, these GCT are better :)

Just aint worth saving 30 or 40 bucks if it the difference is an insurance excess coz ya run outta room

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:20 pm

Sounds like a bit of a headache for a set of brake pads :) Hopefully this story will save others from the same grief.

Also, wish I knew what Bendix pads felt like! Every time I try and buy them they're either out of stock, 3 weeks away or discontinued :mad:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Here you go SB

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... CT&_sop=15

A few to choose from :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:29 pm

Thanks Jules, but a few times now I've bought and paid for something on ebay, bendix rear disc pads being the most recent, that the seller didn't even have any in stock. Got a phone call a week later re the rear disc pads, discontinued! :(
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:05 am

mm..can see how trade prices are set now !! Figuring sellers make more on non Bendix, many people want the cheapest, making it harder to move quality known brand stock.
Likely more important on drum braked rear models coz the discs are working harder up front. Really not expecting any improvement in braking when the rear shoes go on. Think I have spare drums to give to a mate to give me a demo on drum machining. They'd likely be L drums ....

Return to “Subaru Chat”