85 versus 92 wagon... what're the pros & cons?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
RubysueEA82

85 versus 92 wagon... what're the pros & cons?

Post by RubysueEA82 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Hey blokes,

I'm looking at buying an 85 touring wagon with high roof, to replace the 92 wagon. I've noticed the dash is a bit different of course but are there any issues that're not obvious, aside from age?

The pros for the 85 include an RX makeover with Turbo, dash cluster & LSD. Previous owner has reciepts for $10k in service/repair over the last few years, so there's new CVs & various bits following a gearbox blowup. Rear disks have been pinched:/

Cons include some undercarriage damage from offroading, Electric windows always are crap in my experience. No electric mirrors either. Rocker cover(?) oil leak.

I guess I'd like to know if a flapper AFM is a liability? It rattles a bit when you lift the oil cap at idle. Engine stumbles but doesn't seem to have tragic amounts of crankcase blowby. Is the non-spider manifold good bad or indifferent?

Shows 270km on the odometer, seems to pull nicely, scrabbling for traction a bit in 1st, FWD on 13" tyres. I was slightly dubious about the brand new radiator having a dose of "copper flake" type sealant shite in evidence under the radiator cap... but it's not like that stuff will cover anything but a slight weep. Headgasket failure doesn't seem to be the reason.

Anyhoo, we're not talking cattle stations price wise... just thought I'd ask if there's something I'm missing... and can manual window winders be fitted? ;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Really no different body wise other than cosmetic things like the grille and corner indicators up front.

Interior wise there was a two tone blue version or brown interior. The instrument cluster lights are a different colour in the series I compared to the series two. Series one has headlights and wiper controls on the dashboard as opposed to the steering column stalks.

Suspension etc is all the same (except the RX rear end, see below question)

The basic engine setup is the same as your NA carbie EA82. Differences are in the head intake ports and intake manifold (same as the MPFI heads and intake manifold), cam profile and the piston heads are dished for lower compression. Everything else is the same, oil leaks and all.

Does it have the RX rear swaybar rear end in it too?

Is this the type of info you were after?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RubysueEA82

Post by RubysueEA82 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Yeah cheers Bennie,

I like the ergonomics of the later steering column but it's negligible really. I guessed the later manifold went with a hot wire AFM & things like better belts on the A/C & per steer... but in any case the whistle definitely wakes up the old 1800, so this unit with the earlier gear would do.

Noticed the distributor has been vandalised. Screw missing from the cap, a broken drill poking through the hole & a cable tie holding it all together:P

The windows shit me but I might have to buy it... 270 isn't that much for a Subaru engine;) The car has plenty of rego left anyway & I can't remember the last time I saw an LSD... do they wear out incidentally? I've never even wondered before, is it a cone, clutch or geared LS mechanism?

RubysueEA82

Post by RubysueEA82 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:04 pm

And yeah there is a rear swaybar... just no discs!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:11 pm

Ah I forgot about the windows - You can swap to non electric windows but seriously it'd be easier to swap the doors that already have manual windows installed!

Clutch LSD - I'd love one, thought I had one with a similar purchase but alas, it had everything else but the LSD... bloody Murphy :evil:

So what's the plan? Drop the gear into your 92 wagon, or roll in this one as the daily?

Cheers

Bennie

RubysueEA82

Post by RubysueEA82 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:13 am

Think I'll use this car, the premise is that it'll save a good deal of maintainenece work that I was looking like having to do...

With any car now, if you have to buy a set of tyres, a rego sticker and a tank of fuel... the thing is written off. Sadly people are so well programmed to consume, they don't notice it's a colossal waste, they'd rather pay $40k for shinyness. So provided you can drive it away, a wagon is worth about $1500 wether the heater works or not.

I can take my 14" mags and good radio, sadly I think the rest can go. Someone else can love it :P

AusTas75

Post by AusTas75 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:42 am

El Freddo is the master when it comes to the L series. Does the car have a lift kit ? If not well worth the investment. They are great little 4wd I would recommend putting 14" rims with all terrains or muddies

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:53 am

AusTas75 wrote:El Freddo is the master when it comes to the L series.
Cheers for the compliment Tas! I don't think I know all there is about the L series... just one way to mod them for offroading :twised:

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”