Compressing Springs.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

Compressing Springs.

Post by Gazza01 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:27 am

Got spare set of Struts off a Brumby from wreckers so decided to replace the shockers. WOW what a job . Have a set of spring compressors and fitted them but had to drive them round the spring as I tightened them to help pull the spring down. Not a nice job and can be very dangerous.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:32 am

SilverBullet lent me his set, much better and safer feeling them the standard ones (Sam, i do need to get these back to you!)
This is a similar kit i believe.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161717347789
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:21 pm

Just finished replacing the shockers on front Brumby. Not a fun job and replaced with Gabriel Ultra G55726. I wondered now why I worried the old ones had no kick back and the new ones don't seem to have much drive. Could have driven along happily with the old ones. The coil springs are bloody strong would kill a man if the broke free during compression. Dangerous job.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Any spring compression using a tool is dangerous.

Use good quality tools and common sense!

Or use a fixed device that uses weight to compress the spring - like the Russian fella that's built a wall mounted device where he sits on an arm that compresses the spring so he can remove the nut with ease and maximum safety (very un-Russian of him!).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:01 pm

The spring compressor that Phizinza mentioned (belonging to me :rolleyes: ) is about as safe and easy as it gets for spring compressors. I was amazed the first time I used it, you can almost compress the spring with one hand. It uses a single screw for movement and two purpose formed jaws top and bottom, the jaws are designed so it's pretty much impossible for the spring to slip out.

I hate those hook style compressors with one on each side of the spring, too much chance of one slipping and letting go. With enough stored energy to kill a man I just don't trust those things.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:22 am

Yes those hook type you mentioned are not much good on the springs on front of brumby. They do the job but you have to drive the jaws round with a hammer to get enough pullin on the spring and thats bloody scary/dangerous a man could lose fingers or even his head if they let go. Also Im not impressed with those Gabriel Ultra G55726 front Shockers they seem a bit weak.

Return to “Subaru Chat”