Remove old broken Lift Kit Bolt.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

Remove old broken Lift Kit Bolt.

Post by Gazza01 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:22 am

One of the rear Lift Kit suspension blocks came adrift at the rear of young blokes Brumby snapping off the holding bolt. Ive drilled right through the broken bolt with a smaller dia drill and have tried all means to remove what remains of the old bolt. What remains of the old bolt shows that the thread is identical as the tread that holds the tie rod end . I haven't yet tried a left hand drill bit or other DESPERATE means. Any ideas out there.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:00 am

hard to suggest without a pic to see where you are having to work ?

1)alternate extreme Heat and cold ? oxy and cold spray/dry ice ?
2)long reverse thread ezy out ?
3) belt a square shaft into the drilled hole , give a it a tig weld and then spray lots of lanolin and/or penetrol overnight before attempting to turn?

all three have worked for me at times

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:44 am

Ok Thanks will try them all.

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Mig welder usually works for me. I weld a nut onto the broken bolt and get it all red hot. Even if the weld doesn't hold and the nut comes off, the bolt might come loose when it cools.

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:16 am

Drilled it out and re tapped with a 12x1.25 tap. Got get a good 100mm bolt now. Hope it holds. 50mmx12x1.25 tap went all the way. Might try a longer bolt, Can't see whats up in the sub frame just hope the hidden anchor part is rock solid. Found a few old bolts off an old Lift kit and they are just so rusty beyond the imagination. Im not game to try and move any of the other bolts that hold the lift blocks in for fear they will snap and I think this Brumby has seen its fair share of salt water on beaches.

Return to “Subaru Chat”