Freezing CV Shafts to fit.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

Freezing CV Shafts to fit.

Post by Gazza01 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:14 am

Going to try an experiment. Having trouble getting my CV drive shafts to fit without possible causing damage to the bearings. Talking to an old mechanic mate of mine. He told me freeze the end CV shaft in dried ice for couple of hours and it should slide in. NEVER heard of this before sounds crazy but with a lot of time on my hands Im going to try. Keep u informed.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Yep, works a treat ... Make it even easier, heat the bearing ... ��

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:21 am

I've posted a few videos of this on facebook, Electric heat gun is the great, at 120c it'll slide in.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1603473039901513/

https://www.facebook.com/gerard.kleyn/v ... 792086453/

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:26 am

A mate of mine who works on mining sites tells me the Mechanics just throw the bearings etc in the freezer in plastic bag freeze them then fit them easily.

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:56 am

Yep, that's what I do in the video to fit the bearings to the housing, then you heat the bearings up so the shaft fits in the bearing.

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:04 am

Yea did a trial run on that post yesterday. Froze bearing slid easy on the old cv shaft. But I ***ed up trying put it in the front/rear steering knuckle. Reckon I probably never got the bearing part on knuckle hot enough. Got that little temperature tester. Will go again today really heat up the knuckle.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:38 pm

Put the hub into an oven at 200*C for an hour or so. That should be enough to expand it with gentle even heat.

And you're doing it backwards to how Willy described his process. Freeze the bearing to fit to hub, then heat the centre of the bearing.

Personally I've been able to "press" my shafts and bearings out with carefully persuasion using a mallet and punches.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:17 am

Yea got the CV Shaft though easy after heating bearings with heat gun and Temp gun. Unfortunately the Hub was already on the vehicle. I'll get it spot on next time when I do the other Brumby I"ll take the HUB OFF and do it right. Was thinking about putting the CV shaft axle through on the bench also anyone tried doing the whole thing on the bench.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:45 am

I've always done mine with the hub off the car (done it enough times I can remove it in half an hour! ) leave the axle in the car. Never had a problem getting the axle stub through the middle, just have to make sure the center spacer is lined up. I guess you could put the axle through on the bench, I could see a great chance of frustration though!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:38 am

Yes guess it be a 2 man job putting back on the vehicle. Bloody great Video by Willy.

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 am

Guess it be a 2 man job refitting the Hub with the cv axle attached. Really helpfull that video by Willy. Thanks a million.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:41 pm

I've done mine on the bench before. Not hard with a block of wood, a decent punch and a mallet.

That's how I did mine the first time - on the bench, no heat, no freeze. In fact I've never used temp changes to get the job done. Always mallet and punches for me.

Cheers

Bennie

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:27 am

Im over these CV Shafts that don't fit easy and stuff up - Shonky Chow shafts. Im getting my CV Shafts from Suzukisuper now they slide through the Hud/Bearing fine none of this heating bearings bullshit. The Code I use when ordering is SB-8-901 they are chow but are manufactured by big Chow company. Ive installed 2 and will see how the last. If they dont work I'll tear my hair out.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:07 pm

They're not meant to slide through the bearings, they should be a pressed in fitting. Get a workshop manual and have a read.

If they slip through it's not good news as the axles will not be held in the correct position. This will have an effect of tyre wear, disc and brake pad wear.

My 20c anyway. I hope these new shafts work for you!

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:42 pm

El_Freddo wrote:They're not meant to slide through the bearings, they should be a pressed in fitting. Get a workshop manual and have a read.

If they slip through it's not good news as the axles will not be held in the correct position. This will have an effect of tyre wear, disc and brake pad wear.

My 20c anyway. I hope these new shafts work for you!

Cheers

Bennie
It's interesting you say that; no front shaft I've ever fitted has ever been more than a snug fit, I've always been able to push them through with the shaft in the car. Granted sometimes it takes a fair bit of wiggling! I don't think they should have to be a press fit as such, remember if you had to press the shaft through the bearings you'd be potentially damaging the bearings by applying force to the un-supported inner race.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:55 pm

Yeah snug fit would be another way to describe it - the manual says you'll need a press or workshop to remove the shaft from the bearings and the bearings from the hub...

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”