CV Shafts

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Gazza01

CV Shafts

Post by Gazza01 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:59 am

Bought a couple of new Chow CV Shafts.When I tried to move the joints I could see how stiff there were and were rough to move so I decided to investigate. I released the boot clips and moved the boots back and was surprised to see that all that there was a small amount of black grease up against the front of the 6 bearing joint so I added more Penrite CV grease into the bearings and the joint forcing the grease back behind the bearings.I found that after doing that the CV joints moved freely and smooth. I will soon u them on my Brumby and I have also bought some of that silver heat deflective sheeting from Supercheap to place round the Cataylatic converter and the exhaust pipe on other side. Wioll see how we go.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:22 am

Have you checked the spline on the wheel hubs? if these are worn it can make the same noise as a clicking outer CV hub.

The tops of the splines should be square not pointed (triangular) I would try another set of hubs before I bought another set of shafts

the part in question

The outer part that unbolts from the disc

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:38 pm

I've had the same thing Toonga, the cheap shaft is cactus from the word go. This should really be in the CV shaft conversation as its a follow on to that.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”