EA82 the worst motor ever?

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
tim_81coupe
General Member

EA82 the worst motor ever?

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:15 am

I'm beginning to think it is. Since installing a "reconditioned" EA82 carb motor in my wagon I've had nothing but issues. Granted, most have been to do with the conversion, but I am really beginning to regret the decision.

My EA82 has developed big-end noise at idle. Apparently there was under 1000km's on this motor when I got it, I've done a further 6500km's. I really don't know the extent of the rebuild, except that there was extensive head porting and this motor does love to rev. Doing an oil change tomorrow night.

Also, the plugs I've pulled out were the most destroyed plugs I've ever seen in a Subaru. They were BP7ES NGK's too, a full heat range colder than what they're meant to be. Now running some shiny BPR6EIX Iridiums.

It was really lumpy and horrible on idle before, and had taken to disliking cold starts. Haven't driven the car yet on the new plugs, but I'm not expecting anything great.

Also, it randomly spits white smoke out of the exhaust. It isn't triggered by anything that I can tell, it doesn't do it when cold, doesn't do it when I'm flooring it or anything, it just appears to be a totally random thing.

If this motor carks it I think I'll make 1 good EA81 out of my 4 and I'll fit the Weber to that.

jzk25

Post by jzk25 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:30 pm

Now that you mention it, yes they are the worst motor ever built by Subaru. EA81's aren't that flash these days either but at least they have simplicity on there side.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:21 pm

There are big differences in a rebuild and a rebuild, and it's not in the spelling. I know of people who reckon there is no need to touch an EA81 or 2 crank on 'rebuild'. I have a different view after pulling a few apart.

If yours was checked and linished, or ground by a machine shop you'd have warranty issues with their workmanship. I wonder if you'd find a recent date on the crank bearings or the originals ?

At least the EA82 lead to better things......

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:26 pm

Yes I'm definitely starting to feel this motor has just had a top overhaul. There's no lifter noise at all so at least that's not an issue.

The alternator that came on this motor has just spat it's reg, I'm getting 15V atm...

*Sigh*

Oh, and I did mean exactly what jzk25 said, the EA82 being the worst Subaru motor ever, mind you I'd narrow the field a bit more to say its the worst boxer motor.
Never driven an EK42, but it would have to be better than this.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:20 pm

I've been saying this for years!!!!!!

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:35 pm

I've never been fond of the EA82's, I do my best to avoid them.

From what I've done with the EK42 (not much) it's a great little motor, sure it's no power house but you can easily pick it up on your own and it's tough as nails.

And if nothing else it's good for a chuckle :)

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:17 pm

It makes me laugh when I see people whinging about poor old Suby motors that could be anywhere up to 20 years old because they are starting to have issues, for the first 15 years of its life it probably never missed a beat, give the thing a bit of credit.

I think the problem probably lies right here.......
I really don't know the extent of the rebuild, except that there was extensive head porting and this motor does love to rev.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:42 pm

LOL, I was waiting for someone to dissect that statement.

I am a leadfoot. I'll be the first to admit that. No sense in trying to say otherwise especially considering the other vehicle in the driveway. However I have a good idea of what to expect from a motor, and basically what I'm trying to say in this post is the EA82 falls short of my expectations.

An additional note though, the two block halves have been siliconed together, I understand Subaru don't do this. So its been apart at some stage.

The iridiums have helped the cold start issue somewhat, but it is still lumpy and crap at idle. Re-tuning the carb tonight, should fix this.

Big-end noise is still there. I'm doing a filter & lube change tonight, but not holding out any hope.

I wish I'd gone for an EA81! Sorry if it makes you laugh Subaman, but give me a 25 year old EA81 over this 17 year old EA82 any day!

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:52 pm

LOL, I think they are all great motors, just dont expect too much from a motor when you dont know a great deal of its history thats all.

I think the saying about not touching the bottom end was prolly pretty well on the mark 10 or so years ago when the motors were a bit younger, but not so these days.

Fang

Post by Fang » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:55 pm

I'd agree - the EA82 is no revving motor - and it does play a part that these motors are now starting to turn 20 years old.

Its not uncommon for motors in this era to be crap - most probably due to manafacturers rushing out unleaded motors in the mid 80s

I dont love the EA82 - and I hate its lifter tick issues - but it does what I want

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:18 pm

here,there,everywhere................i agree....if you want gross power and kick butt performance....dont buy an ea82......these motors were built for a family car that could if needed go off road...i think my sons push bike puts out more KW,s then the ea82 but for what i have needed the did the job without really letting down much......i guess it comes down to expecting way to much from a motor that can only do so much :roll:
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:00 pm

Hang on - I didn't say I got an EA82 for it's power! :D

Got an EJ20T for that! I should really clarify, I got the EA82 to replace a dead EA81, it was the only motor around that I could get a hold of. The fact it had a Weber and was ported to kingdom come was a bonus.

Just changed the oil & filter. Drives a bit better, big end noise is still there. I put a bottle of Nulon crud in it, hopefully some PTFE can help this.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Funny that; although I've never experienced it personally, an engine importer I was talking to when I was organising my EJ doesn't import EA82s based soley on their unreliability.

He's has had several bearing failures and replaced more than one engine under warranty after less than 3 months of sale.

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:08 pm

i realise that......i just ramble a bit at times.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:25 pm

Hey Tim......If that EA82 goes totally bung, I've got my old one standing by for you. It's not ported, and its got BAD lifter tick, and it needs the timing belt replaced and new timing belt covers, but its still got good compression and took my old beater everywhere I wanted it to go!

On the other hand, I will soon have an absolutely perfect EA82 MPFI motor up for grabs complete with ECU. You'd just need to sort out some kind of wiring loom for it. Brand new heads, runs smooth as - you can even test drive it.

Would be a shame to waste Jay's handywork cutting the chassis rails out!

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:28 am

Well, yeah, true that.
I might take you up on the offer of the MPFI motor, we'll chat when it's time. I have considered EJ22 but I can't be stuffed messing around that much.

Gremlins

Post by Gremlins » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:30 am

The fact it had a Weber and was ported to kingdom come was a bonus.
As someone's mentioned before there's probably the issue. I found that once someone has started making changes with things then that's when the problems begin.

Having said that I'm not really impressed with my EA82T. It was good until the HG's went. Never been quite the same after being repaired.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:09 pm

just think with out the ea the ej proably wouldn't of been as good of the bat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:53 pm

This comment will show my age but here goes, when i was younger i played alot with Ford motors and i played with a few holden motors as well for mates. One thing i did learn very early was that if you freshened up the top end (or bottom end) and didnt do anything to the other end it was only a very short time after that something went bang and you began the long work home.(no mobiles thens)

The lesson i learnt was if you are going to freshen up the top end of a motor knowing exactly what the bottom end is like before you put it all back together will save you alot of hassle.

I love my EA82 turbo its a great engine, i play with modifying it in only small stages, the next stage will be a big one as i am going to bore Oring, and re bearing the bottom end, with the AWD box and having 110atw it is starting to feel it. Hey i also like my EJ as well just not real fussed on the AE engines from that other Jap car maker

spittin_teeth

Post by spittin_teeth » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:18 pm

throw out the EA and get an EJ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “Subaru Chat”