Electric rust prevention system

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
GTlegs

Electric rust prevention system

Post by GTlegs » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:06 pm

I remember on the old forum someone mentioned an electric system for preventing rust.

I think it was some sort of box wired to the car body and battery that stopped rust.

Also, there was some discussion whether a cahode or anode system is better.

Can anyone remember this and explain which system is better again?

Thanks
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

stinky

Post by stinky » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:37 pm

I can't remember which is which, but the one with a sacrificial anode(cathode?) is no good for cars from recollection. There's lots of cheapies on ebay, no idea if they're anygood. I've got a couplertec one on the brumby and it seems to do the job.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:53 pm

I recalll AGES ago there was a bloke who attended the Qld Suba club meeting and talked about them. Anyone else remember this?

Wasn’t he a club member?

Anyway info on this would be fantastic as I was going to start this thread as I want 1 of these units for the RX
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:50 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95524.htm

hey,its your abc, so Karl must be right, right?

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:31 pm

There's a couple of experiments being done at my work at the moment regarding these electronic rust measures.

A large mining company (I won't say which one) has a very inhospitable environment for vehicles to work in, namely salt flats. They're lucky to see 4 years out of a car, and I can tell you its quite a sight seeing a 120 series Prado gutted by corrosion.

The experiment being done at my work is the supply of two vehicles for the same site that will be used for the same duties. One has been fitted with electronic rust protection and the other hasn't. Both have received the standard anti-corrosion treatment, namely this gooey muck stuff sprayed all over the underside and Denso tape on all clamps, fittings and hoses.

The results will be in over the next few years some time. As part of the vehicle service process these vehicles are inspected for structural rust (obviously).

The opinion around my work is that the electronic rust prevention system will help out, some of the guys who fit them swear by them. I'm going to wait for the "salt racers" results to be in before I consider one.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:34 am

I know a bit about this stuff and yes some of it works. If you want it, make sure you get the Capacitive Coupling type. Couplertec and ERPS are leading examples and bulid units for other companys that put their own stickers on the "box" ie PVP. These are the only ones I know of do actually retard the rust process. I have couplertec brand on my hilux. We also sell couplertec at work, due to me. Any questions feal free to e-mail me - perfectpass05@hotmail.com
I'm not on here everyday, but emails are checked multiple times a day.
Cheers

Willie

Post by Willie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:24 am

Ask Peter Brock ...............
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

Willie

Post by Willie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:41 am

Willie wrote:Ask Peter Brock ...............
OOps, think I got my rust preventors and polarisors mixed up!
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:00 pm

Quoting yourself....you must be bored

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:14 pm

Read the article. I like thins line "scrape off any mud that has collected " LOL never ending process in itself
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

Fang

Post by Fang » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:06 pm

Lightning_Silver fitted one to my L Series (I ripped the interior apart and he fitted it!) and I cannot complain about it. I must have had it over a year now and not one iota of rust has appeared. I have been on the beach several times - and through some stray waves that crossed my path. The Couplertec gets a thumbs up from me.

I'll be interested in the experiments you are watching Tim.

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:44 pm

So is the anode or cathode system better?

Also, will it make the metal brittle later?
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:30 am

Capacitative coupling is the one that definitely retards rusting.
Couplertec's explaination http://www.couplertec.com.au/how-erps-work.html
ERPS's explaination http://www.erps.com.au/contents.php?Pid=2&Sid=4

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Tue May 06, 2008 2:42 pm

tim_81coupe wrote:There's a couple of experiments being done at my work at the moment regarding these electronic rust measures.

A large mining company (I won't say which one) has a very inhospitable environment for vehicles to work in, namely salt flats. They're lucky to see 4 years out of a car, and I can tell you its quite a sight seeing a 120 series Prado gutted by corrosion.

The experiment being done at my work is the supply of two vehicles for the same site that will be used for the same duties. One has been fitted with electronic rust protection and the other hasn't. Both have received the standard anti-corrosion treatment, namely this gooey muck stuff sprayed all over the underside and Denso tape on all clamps, fittings and hoses.

The results will be in over the next few years some time. As part of the vehicle service process these vehicles are inspected for structural rust (obviously).

The opinion around my work is that the electronic rust prevention system will help out, some of the guys who fit them swear by them. I'm going to wait for the "salt racers" results to be in before I consider one.
To bump an old post,

How's the results so far or is it too early?

seagull

Post by seagull » Wed May 07, 2008 2:22 am

I just removed one of these from a 1994 liberty that had it fitted from new
the only rust found on the car was in two spots .1st right under the unit 2nd on the left hand gaurd lower .

dibs

Post by dibs » Wed May 07, 2008 7:46 pm

i got couplertec on the forester and the brumby. the fory has a chip to bare metal no rust . when i put it on the brumby i perposly left som drill filings and ther were still not rusted . gets my vote

dibs

Return to “Subaru Chat”