EA82 Conversion

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
timmo

EA82 Conversion

Post by timmo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:09 pm

G'day all,

i'm new to this online forum thing, so cut me some slack on my first go!
I've got an 87 sportswagon running standard EA82 and 5spd with dual range - I'm very keen to undertake an E82T conversion. I'm currently sounding out the the owner of an 88 leone sedan with EA82T and auto trans to see if hes keen to part with it. Would this conversion be straight forward? ie is the bell housing the same? His car is fulltime AWD, will my part time 'box be ok? Is there anything else I need about this conversion before I commit to the purchase?

Cheers,

Timmo

wrx_nut

Post by wrx_nut » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:27 pm

ive done this conversion myself..... if your car is currently a carby motor you will need the EFI fuel tank and pump and the efi computer & loom to fit in the car also.... your standard 5spd dual range box will bolt up without any hassels...

also you need to cut and modify the engine cross member to make room for the turbo up pipe...or unbolt and rebolt a turbo crossmember in

hope this is some help to you....

wrx_nut
85' Touring Wagon, EA82T, 3" Lift, 27's, RS intercooler
90' Brumby (B&S Project!) still cutting rust :P

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:43 pm

Did you wanna keep the slushbox? The dual range is the better transmission in my opinion, would make the conversion a whole lot easier. Do you know what your final drive ratio is?

You've come to the right place anyway, all the regular contributors here have done serious conversions; unlike many forums flaming is also very minimal here (and we'll keep it that way eh SubaMike?!?:p).
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 pm

I think from his post Muddy that he is going to keep the manual in his car. Best advice I can give you is to buy the complete car if you can afford it. That way you know you have got every thing there to do the swap.

Then you basically put every thing in the donor car in to yours except for the gearbox. Swap the complete wiring loom, engine, rear brakes etc in to yours.

_curlie_

Post by _curlie_ » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:49 pm

timmo all i can say is listen to byb1 closely and follow his advice as he did my ej conversion for me and it is great
89 L series 14"rims 27x8½" tyres, 2" lift kit,
EJ 22 motor,

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:57 pm

it will be much easier and cheaper for you to buy the sedan you have spotted. i can only suggest the loom may be different between sedan and wagon, but could be wrong - any differences would only be at the easy end

timmo

Post by timmo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies fellas,
Definately not going to swap the auto trans Muddy, those things are awful! The thing that daunts me the most however is wiring the thing up, is it a tricky job performing the wiring loom swap? The other things mentioned seem achievable for my modest mechanical skills - i've managed to replace the oil pump seals, timing belt and water pump on the current EA82 without too much drama so it should be alright. Speaking of the oil pump seals, that was the best tip i'd had on fixing the rattle from the hydraulic lifters - apparently buggered seals mean the the oil pump sucks air and that is usually the cause of the clatter that I hear so many EA82s suffering from, not the actual lifters themselves being stuffed as some told me. Anway i think thats enough eh!

Wraith

Post by Wraith » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:45 pm

pm sent timmo
Destroy waves, NOT beaches.

1990 L Sportswagon (Mine)
1988 L Touringwagon (Hers)
1998 Liberty GX Wagon (Ours)
1987 L Touringwagon (SOLD!!)
1986 L Jap Import Turbo wagon (SOLD TO TIMMO!!)
1986 L RX Turbo wreck (SOLD TO TIMMO!!!)

timmo

Post by timmo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:27 pm

Dont understand Wraith?

timmo

Post by timmo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Yeah well it looks like my well laid plans will be put on hold now, unfortunatley the owner of the leone with the EA82T is not willing to sell after all. Start looking again i guess!

timmo

Post by timmo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:44 pm

Right, I get it now Wraith! Im on the ball eh! I've sent you a reply aswell, looking forward to hearing from you again

Return to “Subaru Chat”