Forester with l series hi/low gearbox conversion!

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Sean-DJP87

Forester with l series hi/low gearbox conversion!

Post by Sean-DJP87 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:54 pm

hi everyone im new here an would like to say thanks for having me.

I'm going to be given a 1998 forester auto from my father in-law for free which is very nice
I have a 91 l series wagon love it to death its the second 1 I've had, now I have 2 spare parts wagons so I was thinking for something different put an l series gearbox into the forester instead of engine to l series! Just to be different. Now has anyone here done it, though about it seen it done? I'm thinking it may make for better off road use by having actual low range

I'm all ears the good an the bad an eavn the use of your an idiot why bother!! Lol. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks an has to say. Cheers

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Forester with l series hi/low gearbox conversion!

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:25 pm

Welcome Sean,

Great intro and I like your thinking. It was done before in the US.

The down sides - limited to 3.9 and 3.7 diff ratios. Your L series will be a 3.7 ratio.
- lots of fab work - you’ll have to work out gearbox crossmember, gear shift linkages, tail shaft.
- swap rear diffs - and possibly swap diff centres to make the rear driveshafts slot into the L series ratio diff (good time for an auto locker swap! And would save pulling down the foz diff for the centre that the driveshaft clip into).

The upsides - locked centre (although many don’t have huge issues with this) and decent low range. Use the usual EJ engine to EA gearbox adaptor.

If you do the maths on the low range, 1st, diff ratio and tyre circumference at a set speed, you could be worse off with the L series gearbox simply due to the diff ratio and tyre size.

The stock foz box of that era has 1.447:1 low range and a 4.111:1 diff ratio. It will be easier to fit with all the right bits. I don’t know what the possible work around would be with the TCU wiring etc. would need to look into this if you’re going manual.

Many love the auto for off-road. No clutch to smoke/wear out, can do the centre clutch lock switch mod, can take many things a lot slower than you can in a manual.

Can also drop an EJ22 long block under the intake manifold for some extra torque. Few have gone this route, 1WD Foz is a mate that’s done it, if needed he can share his experience in that department.

Also hit up Subi Lift Oz for a lift kit. I’m sure a google search will find their webpage ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Sean-DJP87

Re: Forester with l series hi/low gearbox conversion!

Post by Sean-DJP87 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:27 am

thanks bennie very constructive information to think on cheers 🍻👍

Return to “Subaru Chat”