LIBERTY RS TURBO owner need help

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Wilco91RS

LIBERTY RS TURBO owner need help

Post by Wilco91RS » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:27 pm

Good evening people.

I'm from south Australia, I'm the proud owner of 91 build ADM Subaru LIBERTY RS TURBO.

My car is white with sunroof, I bought it about 5 years ago, it had already been updated to a 95 WRX engine and td05h.

Everything else I think is pretty much factory RS but I'm not 100%.

The car was bought as a project unfortunately it has been in storage a few years due to financial reasons.

I plan on putting some money back into it which will cost at least a few grand to replace all bushes, rubbers, links and mostly well wear and tear items that are overdue.

I do remember an issue with the clutch sticking to the floor and needed to pump it a few times to get it to move and other times very hard to get into gear.

I've been told it could simply be bad fluid or need to bleed it or actually replace the master and slave???

I was contemplating getting an GC8 WRX but then they are so common where the RS is rather rare and understated ;)

I'm hoping this forum is a little more active than others?

Also if anybody from Adelaide can help with mechanical work plz PM ME.

MIKE.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: LIBERTY RS TURBO owner need help

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:52 am

G’day Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

Clutch issue could be needing just a bleed - this usually indicates there’s a leak or the flexible hose needs replacing. If you’ve had the pedal to the floor the internal seals on the master cylinder could be shot and replacement of the master cylinder itself would be easiest. If there is any fluid leaking clean it up ASAP! It WILL eat your paint if left to sit there.

Bushes: if you’re prepared to do the work yourself it’ll just be parts that cost you, significantly reducing the cost of the work done. Look into getting or making a bush removal tool. The suspension on the RS is relatively simple to work with which is good.

Other bits you’ll have to work out along the way. Cam cover seals are a must by now. Go genuine only and make sure you get the correct ones - being that you have a WRX engine, you’ll have the one bolt coil pack cam covers. Stock RS are two bolt - and the seals are different as a result.

As for help in SA, I’m out of ideas/contacts on that front.

And lastly, this forum isn’t overly active either. If more members dropped in and posted it would pick up obviously - forums are only as active as the number of members that are willing to put in the time and effort to post! Bookface has all but killed off many forums ;(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:57 am

G'day Mike,'

Have you tried the http://forum.liberty.asn.au website? It is fairly active, unfortunately more so than this one.
This site used to be very active, that was until faecesbook came onto the scene. :evil: :evil:

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi, nice car you've got: Very envious.

What side of Adelaide are you? I'm in Adelaide, without sounding rude, I'm the type of guy that would wear the T shirt "I didn't become a mechanic to fix your #$%^ for free".

S & J are obviously 'the' subaru people: And there's one or two other 'experts' out there.

But seriously, the liberties are pretty run of the mill, nicely built Jap cars that are good to work on, reliable, and fancy trick free. Any GOOD mechanic should be able to take care of her. Trouble is GOOD is hard to find these days.

As for the forum, even in the last few years since I joined, it's slowed down significantly: A real shame.

But there's sooooo much info here if you're willing to search.

HTH.

Return to “Subaru Chat”