EA81 oil pump

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
auster

EA81 oil pump

Post by auster » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:30 pm

Can I share an example of how not to do it with fellow brumby owners.

My Brumby is, apart from power steering, a mechanically standard 1987 model with 250K on the clock.

About 2 weeks ago I found the oil filter extremely tight and difficult to remove for a routine oil change. I was silly enough to imagine that a few gentle taps with a cold chisel at a tangent opn the rolled edge of the filter might loosen it. It didn't so I resorted YouTube and found that the recommended fix was skewering the oil filter with a screw driver. This worked but a few days later I found oil on the garage floor.

I also found that the aluminium pump body on the EA81 is notoriously fragile

A quick look under the car with the engine going showed a a leak at the oil pump but no visible damage. Oil is being flung about the engine bay I suppose by the crankshaft pulley. So far all I have done is to top up the sump every 10 km or so.

I have just got a new radiator so I plan to remove the grille, radiator and crankshaft pulley and remove the oil pump to see what the real damage is.

Replacement oil pumps seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth. At exhorbitant cost EA71 oil pumps seem available but even if they fit they might not pump much oil.

Does anyone have any advice or insight except as to the obvious?

Auster
Sydney

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: EA81 oil pump

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:38 pm

G’day Auster,

You might be lucky and find that the issue is an old dried up crankshaft oil seal. I had this happen on my brumby and found it by chance. Had I have kept driving to my intended destination, I would’ve run dry of oil with only the warning light to tell me so.

If you ever need to remove the oil pump NEVER take to it with a hammer or mallet. Any shock force on these seems to crack them almost every time from what I’ve read. Also remove the crank pulley before removing the oil pump ;)

I’m hoping for you it’s not a crack pump housing and that it’s just a coincidence that you hit the filter and now have an oil leak.

If you do need a replacement the options are EJ22 conversion ( :mrgreen: ) or trying a wreckers for a second hand one. The EJ conversion might be that bit cheaper (yes I’m taking the Mickey, still it’s a worthy mod for the brumby!).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

auster

Post by auster » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:46 am

Bennie, Thanks for that. I am going to have a proper look at the problem in the next few days.
Auster

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:16 am

Before you go pulling it apart, you'll want to get hold of a seal kit :

If the housing is not damaged, the kit should fix the leaks ...
Good luck with it ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

auster

Post by auster » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:00 am

Yes, I've got one on order.

Return to “Subaru Chat”