Driver Assistance less than functional.

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Neal n Sue

Driver Assistance less than functional.

Post by Neal n Sue » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 pm

First post from owners of a '21 Outback Sport in Sydney Metro here.

The Driver Assistance Technology in our vehicle has proven itself to be barely functional, specifically the Crash Avoidance system that on too many occasions randomly brakes and steers left when there's no collision imminent!

We've raised this issue with Subaru Australia on a few occasions, and with our local Dealership on quite a few more, but the consensus is "that's how it is".........surely not.

That's probably a sufficient background, so now for our question.

Despite the fact that our Dealership Workshop has advised "no updates available" at each of the last two scheduled services, I connected the Infotainment System to our home wifi and located THREE updates, that I've downloaded.

I didn’t write down the update numbers, but if it helps, the last one (#3) put new icons for the hill holder and stop/start functions on the bottom of the touch screen.

My question is, DO THE UPDATES TO THE INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM DO ANYTHING TO IMPROVE THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE EYSIGHT / DRIVER ASSISTANCE TECHNOLOGY?
OR
DOES THE EYSIGHT / DRIVER ASSISTANCE TECHNOLOGY ITSELF HAVE TO BE RE-FLASHED OR IN SOME WAY UPDATED BY THE DEALERSHIP?

Many thanks in advance

Silverbullet

Re: Driver Assistance less than functional.

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm

Sad to hear you're having less than desirable experience with the eyesight gear. I can't help on this matter other than saying someone at my work has a Levorg with the same system, they absolutely love it. Another anecdote I heard from someone was after they'd had the windshield replaced (at a non-Subaru vetted glazier) the installer had managed to get an oily fingerprint smudge on one of the camera lenses...which upset the whole system and required the windscreen out again to fix.

Hope you get it sorted! ;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 pm

I too can’t really help other than with two things.

1) keep pushing Subaru for a genuine response. They should be greatly concerned about their system not working properly.

2) Have you had your windscreen replaced recently? If so, was it one that’s made for the eyesight system?

I mention this as I’ve heard the eyesight system requires a specific windscreen and the system to be calibrated after the new windscreen is installed. How that’s done, I don’t know. My Subarus don’t chime at me or tell me when it needs fuel unless I look at the gauge or actually run out (not happened yet…).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:31 pm

https://caradas.com/what-is-windshield-calibration/

When does my windshield need to be calibrated?

Several common circumstances call for windshield recalibration for ADAS, including the following:

Windshield replacement
Wheel realignment
Suspension changes
Camera replacement or removal

Neal n Sue

Post by Neal n Sue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:23 am

I can't work out how to reply to individual comments, so generically, after sending a detailed enail to Subaru Australia, and receiving noting in reply after 14 days, I contacted them by phone.

They were of no assistance, and merely referred me to my Dealership, despite my advice that I'd already raised the issue with their Service Manager on two previous occasions.

After forwarding my email to the Service Manager, he booked my vehicle in for the next available on 2 May.

I rang the Service Department yesterday to arrange a loan vehicle because they want mine all day. The Service Tech. told me that they intend to update the Infotainment System and the Maps, and to test drive the vehicle "around the block".

At this stage I spat my dummy, and cancelled my appointment. Why? Because my original email had explained that I'd already updated the Infotainment System and the NSW Maps via my home WiFi, and a short test drive would do nothing other than to waste everyone's time.

NO WINDSCREEN REPLACEMENT, CRACKS, OR MARKS ANYWHERE BTW.

So after the vehicle's crash avoidance technology was flashing two reds on the HUD yesterday, when I was driving towards a "dip" at the bottom of a decline at 80kMh, I'm trading it as a straight swap for a 2017 tech-free Commodore SV6.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:25 pm

Hey Neal and Sue,

What you’re experiencing is the reason why I don’t do new cars. Our youngest vehicle is a 2005 build! It only makes a noise when we leave the headlights on and open the driver’s door. I hate chimes when driving!!

I hope the commodore does you well. If you look after them they’ll go the distance. I’m sure they’ll have their issues but I dare say ppl will know all of them by now.

Can’t wait to see what the EVs start bringing up as they come of age!

All the best, if you end up with another Subaru we might see you on the forum again. You’re more than welcome to stick around and post on other threads if you wish to ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Neal n Sue

Post by Neal n Sue » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:51 pm

....I entirely understand your point of view, as after experiencing Subaru's DAT and yet another "glitch" this afternoon when the vehicle wouldn't unlock, and after a walk to the local Servo to buy and fit new 2032 Duracell for the fob, and it then letting me in, but flashing-up a message about Eyesight and then something like "RAB not operating check manual" (no reading glasses 😀 ), and then finally starting after I locked and the unlocked the vehicle again, I'm just about over it 😠.

The tech-free VF Commodore I was intending to purchase didn't eventuate, as the Dealership would only offer $34.7k for our '21 Sport, in as new condition with 25k kM!!

So I'm now trying Carsales, and a few of the "instant offer" / "sell it now" websites in the hope of getting $40k plus.

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:59 pm

Neal n Sue wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:51 pm
....I entirely understand your point of view, as after experiencing Subaru's DAT and yet another "glitch" this afternoon when the vehicle wouldn't unlock, and after a walk to the local Servo to buy and fit new 2032 Duracell for the fob, and it then letting me in, but flashing-up a message about Eyesight and then something like "RAB not operating check manual" (no reading glasses 😀 ), and then finally starting after I locked and the unlocked the vehicle again, I'm just about over it 😠.

The tech-free VF Commodore I was intending to purchase didn't eventuate, as the Dealership would only offer $34.7k for our '21 Sport, in as new condition with 25k kM!!

So I'm now trying Carsales, and a few of the "instant offer" / "sell it now" websites in the hope of getting $40k plus.
Have you tried another Dealership in your area to see if they could be of assistance?
Providing there are more in your area of course.
I understand how you feel with these electrical issues. I have one in my Honda HR-V, the phone will not make or receive calls at times. Nowhere near as dangerous as yours though, but annoying just the same.
Last time I made a song and dance about it, the dealership pulled the dash apart and traced the wire for the USB connection. The said they cleaned up the connection points, it worked great until this week, now we are back to square one. :evil: :evil:

Good luck with the sale, I hope it all works out for you.

Return to “Subaru Chat”