Whats an EA82T worth???

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
spaceage

Whats an EA82T worth???

Post by spaceage » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:40 pm

I've been thinking about doing an engine swap, just wondering what a reasonable EA82T is worth, is that a straight swap for the ea82 is there anything that needs to be changed,

and lastly is it worth the swap,once i've got the engine in i would probably go bigger intercoler and turbo etc to give it a bit more power, i'm not after an 11 second car just something that is more reasonable then what i got now
1999 Impreza RX

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:38 pm

I suggest that you first find out what compliancing you will need to do,
if you have to pay for that, may as well go for something more modern to get more bang for your $.
then again if you come across a ea82t cheap, say < $1k and its in good nick, it should be a good deal, but remember you need the turbo cross-member too, and a ECU + loom.
Other than that its a straight simple swap, it is still a ea82 :P
Do those vortex's as in your pic come with rear disks standard?

spaceage

Post by spaceage » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:57 pm

yep rear disks are standard ,

i though i read somewhere that the ecu was the same for turbo and na models, is this incorrect???

i need to look into it more but as far as i know compliancing is fairly simple if you don't increase engine capacity
1999 Impreza RX

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 am

I am currently running EA82 loom/ecu blaur blar on an EA82T (and Postie is as well) there should be no issues with this conversion... as far as conversions go that is.

Do not get excited about the bigger turbo and intercooler ect. these are not the strongest motors and will not handel massive amount of hp (if you want long term reliability), just make it breath better (intake but more on the exhaust).

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:11 pm

Great swap, especially into a MPFI Vortex.

Turbo crossmember would make your life a lot simpler!

TMIC and a little more boost are good mods and BOV isn't a bad idea if you like the noise (call me a ricer but I do). If you want to be fast though you're better off with an EJ20 turbo.

Maybe someone could shed some light on this subject too . . . would it be better to swap to a Japanese ECU at the same time?

Oversteer

Post by Oversteer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:50 pm

~$2.75 !

.... get a EJ20T&AWD box and be done with it, if you really like your tex and plan on keeping it for a while its really a much MUCH nicer option.

Only just a little more stuffing around to fit the EJ over the EA T conversion.

Licensing in WA should go smoothly enough.

Wanna see what one(EJ20T L series) drives like come round and I`ll take you for a blat in my L wagon.

OS
MY05 GT-STI DCCD 6spd 13.88at98.7
88 FJ62 Cruiser-5.0ChevTPI TT,6psi,Hi6,044,Wolf3dV4,FMIC

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:40 pm

Jaffa wrote:I am currently running EA82 loom/ecu blaur blar on an EA82T (and Postie is as well) there should be no issues with this conversion... as far as conversions go that is. .
yep if your car is mpfi it pretty much plugs in using your dist and i had to change the throttle position sensor as i used a earlier motor and of course the crossmember. if you have changed a motor before you can do it in about 1/2 to a 1 day.if i had my time again i would go the ej.just my 2cents.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:03 pm

I dont like to hijack,.. but.

If i say, converted my current motor to turbo, (changed the heads but kept the block) and thus the engine no. stayed the same as the rego papers. would i still need to get an engineers cert?

Cheers

Gannon
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Oversteer

Post by Oversteer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:13 pm

You don`t need an engineers cert anyway !....if your using all factory components in a car that came out as a turbo etc etc blah b;ah no engineering is required because nothing is modified !!!

Think you need turbo pistons anyway etc...... all you need do after is an engine number change...just a form, usually no inspection required.

OS
MY05 GT-STI DCCD 6spd 13.88at98.7
88 FJ62 Cruiser-5.0ChevTPI TT,6psi,Hi6,044,Wolf3dV4,FMIC

Return to “Subaru Chat”