Recovery Points

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
VL400

Recovery Points

Post by VL400 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:54 pm

Well the rear is ok as i have a tow bar and use it fairly regularly to tow other vehicles out or be towed backwards but the front is a different story. I have a strap that goes between the two tie down points on the front and can then have a snatch strap connected to it. The problem is i dont trust the tie down points when stuck in mud holes and some serious snatching has been required - which tends to happen fairly often lately :rolleyes:

Have no problem in welding on some new points as have everything needed to do the job but there is nothing to get some serious bite into. So has anyone added a recovery point on the front or what does everyone do for recovery??

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:45 pm

I think most people just do as you have been doing, use the tiedown points. Not ideal but there isn't much other choice in an L series. Unfortunately even the big rated hooks aren't much use because there isn't really anything strong to bolt them to.
I suppose one idea might be to loop a snatch strap further down...over and around the engine crossmember - that's fairly solid. However it would have catastrophic results if you did manage to bend or snap the crossmeber bolts. I guess this would be best in a non lifted car (such as yours).
I havn't done that before, just a thought.

VL400

Post by VL400 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:01 am

thanks for that, i had thought about the crossmember and may use that if i really need it - problem is its normally the part thats buried! And after having a look over the weekend at how to brace and mount a tow hook, really dont see that i can gain much strength without really going to a lot of trouble. Its not worth it on this car so will just use the tie downs and drag it out rather than snatching.

It did get stuck in a big hole on the weekend though, thought that we were gonna have to leave it there but managed to snatch it out backwards and all was good. The hole was big enough that could not see the car from the track once in it :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Thought about getting some box steel and sticking it up the chassis rails (sized to fit snuggly), drill a few bolt holes in through it and bolt it all in (maybe with some tubing for the bolts to go through to avoid squashing the rails and box)? This would help spread the load and you could also position your now custom tow points to where you want them and with what ever attachments you want. This is something i'm going to be looking further into later.

Just thoughts at the moment.

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:21 pm

Only way is to put 1 metre scrap under the car and attach it somewhere at the front where its easy access if you're bogged. That is what I know that big 4WDs who dont have an winch do that, i've seen a couple do that but rarely.
my 2c worth.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:53 pm

just to hijack...where abouts did u find youself in a large mudhole?- sounds like a fun spot

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:34 pm

i got pulled out by my bull bar mountin point
n also towed from that same place

seams strong ATM
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:34 am

i got this wierd bracket that was used to attach to an A-frame as my car used to be towed behind some kinda campa van or somethign liek that
its held on by 3 nuts on each side..dont no if its strong enough for a recovery point lol
i did have the intention of taking it off once so i took the nuts off then it wuldnt budge and now ive lost those nuts
ill prolby get some new ones on but soon
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

VL400

Post by VL400 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:15 am

AlpineRaven wrote:Only way is to put 1 metre scrap under the car and attach it somewhere at the front where its easy access if you're bogged. That is what I know that big 4WDs who dont have an winch do that, i've seen a couple do that but rarely.
my 2c worth.
Cheers
AP
May just end up doing that if it looks like it will get bogged pretty bad. Thanks

subi wrote:just to hijack...where abouts did u find youself in a large mudhole?- sounds like a fun spot
Was not actually a mud hole but rather a hole that was nearly as long as the car and about 3m deep that a tractor had dug. There was no way it was gonna get through it but had to give it a shot anyway!! Nothing like a nearly verticle drop, haha

Fury

Post by Fury » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:23 pm

A young guy I know around here, where I live, that is not on the forum, was pulled out by a winch by his tie down points, which nearly pulled off. he has now reinforced it, welded a plate around it and reinforced the whole area on the rail back around 50cm. Now, when he works on the car, he jacks it up with a forklift from his work from the tie down points... so re enforcing does stand up. he has also been up to the door handles in a floodwater creek recently and winched himself out ( snatched to a tree mounted manual winch), where many others failed.

and the tow bar on my car ( Vortex) is welded to the rear tie down points and is ok as far as the engineer is concerned... 2 cents worth
Chris :cool:

'88 Vortex AWD turbo with "go hard" attitude -

WRX EJ20G and box , TD05 Turbo and 4.111 running gear.
5 Stud conversion (Crossbred Performance) Multi pot GT Legacy brakes and 17" rims
Plenty of plans... the plans are getting done slowly;).... getting there - NOT! ;)

Return to “Subaru Chat”