Never felt so at home.:o))

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
cods

Never felt so at home.:o))

Post by cods » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:43 pm

Hello all,
Firstly , love the forum just wish i knew of it earlier! I bought a brumby the first day they landed here in Aus and have loved them since . I just last week bought a 1.8 carby 1992 touring wagon in mint condiion and iam considering converting it to an efi 2 litre but i seriously want to keep the existing 4wd gerbox with the Hi/Lo 4wd and this is where my dillema begins as i have no idea if a 2 ltr efi would fit the bell housing of my gearbox and if so would the gearbox cope with the extra grunt of the 2 ltr..has this been done? or are there other conversions which i should be looking at , sorry for my haste as i havent looked thru this site entirely as yet, I just feel so at home lol..thanks

Lapsed

Post by Lapsed » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi welcome. to answer your question about the engine. any boxer 4cyl will fit. You can purchase an adaptor plate to make the ej motor fit an ea box. Most people on here will say you best bang for $$ will be a 2.2l motor out of an early liberty. have a look here all will be answered showthread.php?t=980

chris

SUBARU OFF-ROAD RECOVERY VEHICLE

cods

Post by cods » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:45 pm

Thankyou chris , its gonna be a late one :o)

Having read the article iam thinking 2 litre efi as i do lots of travelling , fishing mostly and the cost of fuel is ridiculous and it aint ever gonna get cheaper..:o( iam a little concerned if not worried bout refitting the Loom . Anyways if the camber changes slightly due to spacing of engine mounts would the vehicle handle perculiarly or have any other negative affect.. thanks again chris

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:30 pm

An EJ engine into an EA hole will be a step up from the original fitment. On of the members here has a late model 2L in his brumby and its turning 29s without too much issue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

cods

Post by cods » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:37 pm

Hey Mr Kenobi
If the distinguished member or anyone else could tell me is it possible or even easier to just by a wreck and use all the bits including the efi fuel pump instead of using a bosch from a VL turbo as Tim 81coupe suggested..thx again guys

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:21 pm

buy Nathans HISOOB plated sedan, it has what you need other than sleeping quarters. His member name is Mudrat and has a 4sale ad at present . swap it al into yours and the old stuff into sedan ??

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Unfortunately you can't use the EFI pump from the donor EJ car as these are in-tank pumps. The L series tanks run an external pump.
For a non-turbo EJ engine you can easily just use a standard EA82 EFI fuel pump from an EFI L series.
Recommend either installing a surge tank, upgrading the fuel lines, or changing to an EFI fuel tank at the same time.

cods

Post by cods » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:06 pm

thanks for the insight Andrew , iam going to spare myself the drama of extreme conversion for now and just go the 2litre efi that will keep me busy and happy enough for a bit..I cant find nathans wagon in the classifieds but iam bloody impressed with the MONSTERWAGON...thx guys

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Nathans L Series ,showthread.php?t=7332

Mike.
ImageImage

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:40 pm

you dont have to buy a VL efi pump but just a pump that is a non in tank unit. If you go the single cam engines they dont need to have the chassis rails modded in the MY series to make the motor fit
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

cods

Post by cods » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:41 pm

thanks for the bee line to Nathans rig Suba which is a beaut but my thinking is a little more conservative as really i just want the ej20 possibly turbo and the neccessities to get it to run properly on the end of the ea gearbox although not sure how the gearbox would handle a turbo so i may just stick to the simple things in life. And thx for the advice Kenobi but i have the L series . Could someone please explain negative and positive camber and there effects as i dont want to put an efi in the vehicle and apparently alter the angle of cv joints and thus the camber, needing to replace tyres every 2 mnths and i also dont want power steering so am i being realistic expecting it to drive just as well with the 2 litre efi! ..thx guys..p.s remember iam getting on , i just want to point it in a direction and think of the old days sometimes cursing the present but always having the option to go off track to my favorite fishin holes and sorry fisherman dont reveal thier spots!...:o) thx again

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:17 pm

Hey cods, You have a massive PM essay, i had to shorten it so i could send it to you.

With your camber angles i don't see how changing the engine will change this. There may be a litte more weight in the front but that would be about it.

Its easier to get an EJ22 (2.2 ltr) than the EJ20, the liberty's are coming of age where they're becoming eaiser to obtain at cheaper prices.

The EA gearbox will do fine, just don't be flogging it everywhere. If you're looking at a turbo EJ there's more work involved to get it in - you'll need a turbo engine crossmember that has the space for the up pipe or to mod your current one. The gearbox will be okay but probabily have a shortened longivity compared to the EJ22 being bolted up to it.

Have fun mate.

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:44 pm

nO PROBS EJ22 IN A L.I've got the the ej22 and a lib awd auto.Get onto BYB-01 and use his adapter plate or maybe get him to do your conversion.With kings and new struts the front still sits slightly lower[not much].You won't regret it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

cods

Post by cods » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:20 pm

Thanks stamp , How do i get hold of BYB and is he possibly and hopefully in Melbourne :o)... Is there anyone in Melb that can do the conversion otherwise i will attempt it but it could get messy . p.s how much is the adapter plate which bolts onto my ea gearbox?...thx again stamp...Oh yeah Bennie you have mail...Another edit, just reading your reply again Stamp , and iam thinking if yours sits lower with the liberty front end would my L series front end sit even lower again? and what kind of fuel consumption you getting with the 2.2...thx

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:04 am

the front end is no more than a inch lower.I've got a L series with the ej22 and auto,the auto is f#*king heavy ,so some of the loss of hieght can be accounted to the auto.Have a look at my signiture pic,the car is loaded with enough space left for 3 people + whats on the roof you can sought of see how high it sits.It has a 2" lift and 27" tyres.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:51 am

AWD autos heavy ? ain't they just..try 110kgs with converter and fluid!

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:57 am

EJ22, adapter plate, l-series box. VL turbo fuel pump, upgraded efi fuel lines. Thats what im running at the moment with no worries at all, ideally need a surge tank though.

You will NOT ever regret going EJ, particularly a ej22, more than enough grunt, and my front end does sit a tiny bit lower cos of the heavier motor. Beaf up your springs to some kings, and it should all be sweet.

I reckon you should just stick to a n/a rather than turbo, although a turbo motor will turn your car into an absolute beast that will flog 90% of cars on the road, im not sure if its worth the extra dollars and work to get it in.(brakes etc) awd would be the best option with a ej20t as well, $$$

just my opinion

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

cods

Post by cods » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:25 pm

Thx stamp your wagons a beast but Alex is driving my car!..:o)If i cant buy an adapter plate from BYB does anyone know where i could buy the adapter plate here in Melbourne , and Alex whats the fuel economy like with the ej22 and L series box?

cods

Post by cods » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:48 pm

Hey all , I have done my absolute in navigating this site looking for an adapter plate for ej conversion but still no go..where could i get one of these and a commercial lift kit here in Melbourne ..thx and dont be shy..:o))

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:54 pm

lift kit showthread.php?t=6575

adaptor 1 of them here showthread.php?t=6191

or PM BYB01 he will sort u out
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

Return to “Subaru Chat”