Hatch Supercharger progress

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:20 pm

i recall u tellin me hatchie wasnt gettin any more fruit things changed have they lol

how much boost is it goin to produce any idea
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:25 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:It's pretty complicated Cam... so ya can;t exactly do that.

Update: IT'S RUNNING!!!!

Just need to remount and stuff about with the accelerator cable and some mild wiring and it will be ready for a test drive. Im guessing i will get to drive it about lunch time tomorrow.

Big thanks to Devil Dave for coming over today... helped me to keep on trucking on with it when i was close to giving up for the weekend. I had some dramas with hoses calapsing under vacume this time... we got it sorted though.

Dave
What time is lunch:mrgreen:
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:42 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:I had some dramas with hoses calapsing under vacume this time...
That's insane!!!

Hope its all sorted soon, i wanna see a video of this thing... Actually, just hearing it would be great. You'll have to update the Hatchie Tribute now ;)

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:04 pm

it gorwls......makes a nice noise....the collapsing hoses bit is basically solved..its just the finishing thouches now..first test drive will be tmorrow...lookin foreward to it :D
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

bass_ke

Post by bass_ke » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Very interested to See/Hear this thing!

Hope the test drive went ok

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:59 pm

test drive went VERY VERY VERY well...99% of the issues resolved...only issue now is the boost...seems to be running slightly less then what we think it should be running

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:13 pm

D3V1L wrote:test drive went VERY VERY VERY well...99% of the issues resolved...only issue now is the boost...seems to be running slightly less then what we think it should be running

dave
dont get to bloody picky now LOL
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:20 pm

its runnign slightly less then what it should be running :P
no more subarus

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:36 pm

Yeah turned out awesome, noticeable power increasment but mainly torque improvment... Had a few teathing issues but got them sorted.

As Dave said... boost pressure is a bit low... don't know if we have done something but it appears to only run at about 3.5 PSI max... was sorta hoping for about 6.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:40 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:Yeah turned out awesome, noticeable power increasment but mainly torque improvment... Had a few teathing issues but got them sorted.

As Dave said... boost pressure is a bit low... don't know if we have done something but it appears to only run at about 3.5 PSI max... was sorta hoping for about 6.

Dave
3.5 PSI and it was blowing hoses and collapsing them under vacuum.....WTF thats nothing.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:48 pm

ur an idiot matt...vacume is still at around neg 30 when butterfly closed..hence collapsing hoses...blowing them off?? thats caus it was hooked up wrong in the beginning
no more subarus

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:51 pm

D3V1L wrote:ur an idiot matt...vacume is still at around neg 30 when butterfly closed..hence collapsing hoses...blowing them off?? thats caus it was hooked up wrong in the beginning
cant expect me to remember that and put it together lol

thught u werre turning it off at idle neway Subarino.

3.5 is way to low u definetely want more

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:57 pm

3.5 is what the stock supercharger runs..u have to remember its a supercharger not a turbo...principles are completely diffrent
no more subarus

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:06 pm

Matt... stop posting in here... i want u to think for atleast a day before u post anything more in here. If you thought about things more before u posted u would have a lot more usefull posts.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Just a few more pics with the throttle body relocated and some pines changed... i am still currently changing the pipes yet again and i have a bit of a lead on something i can do to get a smaller pulley on the Supercharger to raise the boost a little more. It's till running very very well and im more than happy with the results so far.

Dave

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:38 am

??? what the mod? i was expecting to see metal pipes.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:53 am

Im working on it... turned out i was all mechaniced out i spent all day on someone elses car yesterday. LOL

Dave

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:03 am

I must say.... VERY NICE !!!! Well done ;)

I would like to ask tho, How did you run the belt for the s/c? is it off the same belt as the Alternator or seperate? If it's separate you may be able to increase the size of the crank pulley to speed up the s/c.. :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

vidler
General Member

Post by vidler » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:03 pm

yeah, he's using the same belt to run the alternator/power steering and super charger... pk5-1650... bloody big belt. he's looking into finding a smaller pulley for the supercharger, rather than increasing the size of the crank pulley and over driving the alternator and power steering pump. That'll require another idler puller mounted below the S/C so the belt will still clear the pulley below the radiator hose.... its a tight fit but will be AWESOME when its completed
09 Forester XT Touring Wagon

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Yeah as Vidler said... there is all sorts of other problems when making the crank pulley larger. And i would probably only get away with a 10mm diamter larger pulley at the most due to the air con idler pulley bracket being close to it. This would also be at very big cost as it would have to be custom made. I can't find anywhere that does a overdrive crank pulley for an EJ.

Only real way to go about it is making the SC pulley smaller... which would mean i lose the clutch. Anyone that has had much to do with these knows thats no big loss. Im also trying to experiment with theses pulleys on the cheep cos there doesn't seam to be an exact calculation to work out pulley sizes and boost.

I don't mind spending big bucks on a pulley but i do have a problem with spending big bucks on a pulley that will give me not enough or too much boost. Aiming for 6-7 PSI. Although if i happened to fall about 5 PSI i will leave it at that.

Dave

Return to “Subaru Chat”