What Jeremy Clarkson thinks of Subaru owners :P

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
bluesteel

What Jeremy Clarkson thinks of Subaru owners :P

Post by bluesteel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:07 am

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:30 am

Hopefully Subaru will read it and take note. Gone are the days when the WRX was the flag ship of the fleet. A car that every man and his dog had to have. It is just another car now.

The WRX of old that created the cult following was more agricultural than what you can buy now. It was a lot leaner, more aggressive looking and distinct from other cars. It was a stand out.

These days they are over weight and ugly. They have nothing. As Jeremy said, they have even lost the Subaru sound.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:37 am

All I want is a outback ute. Bring back the brumby !!

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:38 am

thats quite a funny read.

the stuff about finding rally enjoyable is a crackup. I think most of us would have copped a rock in the face at a rally atleast once ;)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:46 am

Ok, lets get over the fact that everyone wants to piss and moan saying there ugly! Hence the nick name ‘ugly betty’, but lets take some time to look at the stats!! This is the fastest sti out yet! Handles great and is a good package.. The ugly betty has recently proven itself on the track against the new EVO10 in its various models and came out a clear winner, so yes the car may not look as most of you want but its a dam good little car.

My 2c
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:15 pm

hmm i own a rally jacket....
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:21 pm

It might be a good car but it is not an outstanding car as previous models were. It is not just mechanicals that sell cars. It is the whole package and the sooner Subaru realize that what they have built this time is not popular the better. A lot of the models coming out of Subaru of late have been quite disturbing. They need to sack their designer.

Sure they are the same, or similar, car underneath. It may even be faster and handle better as stated. Now just imagine that package in a body style that people love not hate with a passion.

I did think the article was quite funny in places.

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:30 pm

I would have to disagree, I owned a GC8 MY99 ‘classic’ the most popular and talked about model! These things were riddled with problems. Although they were the best looking of all models.
Older models pre 98 had ‘the worst 5MT’s known to man with shock loading the biggest killer, even the revised box in the MY99 spec used the double sync 2nd wasn’t enough.
AFM ‘s the worst afm’s also! I usto sneeze and they would go.(not to mention replacement value)
Now the best! Tendencies to lean out piston 2! What a killer.
I could list on. They cost me and many of my other mates who also usto own the ‘classics’
Yes I will admit I loved that car but it was a money pit, and by the time i had built it rock solid it was so far from standard it wasn’t funny.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:23 pm

If they stopped and took in some more information from buyers they'd realise they just have to put classic looks with modern technology and every one would go nuts. I hate how all cars are starting to look the same nowadays. Its stupid. Sure it may be more aerodynamic but I'm sure its not by enough to warrant making an ugly car.

And if they made a modern brumby it would seal the deal, provided it didn't look like every other ute, but even then it would still be better. I have talked to many people that have said if they brought out a new brumby they would buy one straight away.
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

madmat

Post by madmat » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 pm

he has a way with words dosn't he? you can feeeel the looove.LOL
Great fun off road. Now lives in FIJI as a mobile dentists truck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:12 pm

I think the Liberty GT looks way better than a WRX now

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:38 pm

PeeJay wrote:I think the Liberty GT looks way better than a WRX now
Oh **** yeah!

Clarkson cracks me up, so dry and cynical but often times is true what he says, it is great that there is an outlet for someone to point out the negatives in a car rather than the likes of Australian mags that just drool on and on about how great each and every car is for fear of not getting test cars from the manufacturers in the future.

I'd have a new impreza for sure, but it was the 94-96 that made them a cult classic, even with all their problems.

No-one should lose sight of the fact that a WRX, an EVO, RS (Focus) GT4 etc etc are just econoboxes with 4wd and a frigload of power - afterall, they are cars built for rallying, not for grand touring so don't expect it.

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:53 pm

Trouble These Days Is You Put A Lump Of Steel Into A Wind Tunnel Then Choose The Shape With Least Ressistance And Whaddya Get? A Corrolamaz!!
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:12 pm

He has a few good words there and much of them i agree with. Subaru had a good thing when they where different from everyone else offerings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:35 am

SUBYDAZZ

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Dredging up a post on one Clarkson.

I remember his review of the first Diesel Outback. Far from complimentary of it he was, making me feel as if they had built a flop. Read the the local Oz reviews of it and most motoring journos (not motoring entertainers) love it.

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 pm

For all his dry criticisms/witticisms Clarkson does raise valid points about todays cars . A great many of them are truly butt ugly and you really have to wonder which public toilet they got their inspiration from .

You can blame bureaucrats and marketing departments for a lot of the nonsensical garbage that goes into todays cars and I for one can say that honestly NONE of them is worth a pinch of feces .
The whole automotive manufacturing culture has changed markedly since probably the early 80s and today they are serving up horrendously overpriced priced garbage .
I could sit here typing all night but the bottom line is these mobile Warthogs simply wont be driving around in 20-25 years time , if they aren't "use up" suddenly the way over complex electronics and major consumable components will make their economic survival impossible .
They are a long way past the keep it simple stupid kiss theory in far too many ways .

The multitude of torque split/traction control options is plain kiddy stuff , I defy anyone to find the limits of cars like these without being way beyond what the law/self preservation/sheer common sense (for real adults) will allow .

As for the Evo vs WRX thing I don't think much of either in current form .
Personally I like the Evo 6 and the Top Gear mob preferred these to the later 8s and 9s .
I know someone who owns one of only about six legally registered Evo 3s in Australia and he reckons it still runs rings around Evo 6s .
Why ? Smaller/lighter/less manufacturers softening for road cars . In short it was closer to what the rally car basis was than later versions .
Both Mitsy and Subaru are out of Factory International rallying now and the WRC class really killed of the road going homologation specials anyway .

Such is life , cheers A .

dibs

Post by dibs » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:03 am

lol i got a rally jacket ,you dont have to talk slow just a bit louder (bit def) but i still love my 2000 wrx . and 1 lacerated eye

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:09 pm

How many have to yell before Subaru makes the new brumby? I may have to start a thread on what buyers would want in one maybe someone at Subaru japan could see it and take notice?

Look forward to the comments in another thread.

Cheers

chris

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:47 am

Coxy and I have spoken about that topic often over the past few years .

New thread , Brumby - what could have been .

A .

Return to “Subaru Chat”