Various models of RX Turbo sedans

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
AndrewT

Various models of RX Turbo sedans

Post by AndrewT » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:24 am

Just wondering if anybody has some concise info about the different variations of Rx Turbo sedans, differences in year models etc.

Mine is a 1986 Aussie model. It had 5spd dual range, NO power steering, NO aircon.
Strange because Discopotato's one is also 1986 but has p/s and a/c.
I suppose these could have been factory options at the time?

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 am

I am not sure if there is an “exact” answer to this 1, as you will also have to be aware of the import models as well.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:46 am

I have 2 RX Turbos, both are without Pwr/Str. My 1985 model has A/C but my 1986 model does not, I'm guessing that as per normal cars sold in Australia at around this time, A/C was an option.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:46 am

As you may be aware, Subaru imported the Leone-based RX 4WD turbo sedan to Australiain the mid/late ’80s. But we never received the gun model. In Japan, buyers had access to the full-time 4WD Leone RX/II coupe!
While the 5 speed manual version of the Australian-spec RX sedan had only on-demand 4WD with high/low range gearing, the 5 speed RX/II boasts full-time 4WD with a switchable centre diff lock and high/low range gearing!

info from
autospeed.com/A_2463/article.html

timmo

Post by timmo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:49 am

I think Subaru just made it as they went, whatever they felt like at the time. Theres also the auto trans models just badged 4WD turbo, not Rx. Lturbo, Steptoe & Me have these. Mine had "electro- pneumatic height adjustable suspension" go figure....!
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 am

Yer I figured the waters would be pretty muddied on this one!
Oh well mines got power steering now anyways. Aircon will be abit more work but I'll definitely do that too!

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:16 am

Yes Subaru Aust did import the RX themselves however private buyers could also import at that time. My first RX was 1 of these private imports... sorry if i was not clear on that.
My current RX (another 4 door import) has these options and is what my build project will look like (only in black. And i also have the center AWD RX display/lights to match - end hijack).

I thought years and years ago i heard that the RX was 1 of the first turbo car's Subaru build for rally. Due to the rally laws/rules at the time the car's had to basically be production cars on the factory sales floor and therefore p/s and a/c initially were not options due to needless increase in weight. May explain why they were not initially available with all the additional extras.
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:17 am

All the Jap spec ones I have owned in NZ have P/S and 2 of three had A/C.
They were all 85/86 models
85 Leone RX EJ20T Rally Car - plus spare rolling shell
91 Facelift 2.2 GX 4WD Legacy - SOLD
96 RSB Legacy

DavesB4

Post by DavesB4 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:09 pm

My 1986 Sales Brochures tell me that Power steering was not available on the RX Turbo but was on standard on Turbo AT models. It was also not available on DL either. My RX Turbo has had power Steering fitted later from an AT model.

Air Conditioning was not listed in the sales brochure at all but is included as a "New Generation approved Accessory" across the range which included Vortex, Brumby and Sherpa.
Dave Hill

MY13 Outback - The new blue one.
MY99 Outback - As it's maker intended - but with a fresher engine now.
1994 RS Turbo - Not quite so stock! And freshly repainted now :)
And then there's the family Vortex - rebuilt, updated and now unregistered and gathering dust in the shed.
:D

Turbone

Post by Turbone » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:00 pm

Wow, and we here in the States complain how you guys in Oz got all the good gear boxes(Libs with D/R) :p
The RXII from 87 to 89 in the US had the Full Time 5spd D/R with diff lock.
The 4dr RX from 85 to 86 had the 5spd D/R and no diff lock.
As far as I know, all Subaru's from 85 and on had P/S. But not all had A/C.
My RXII has P/S but no A/C. It has all the interior bits, just no compressor or condensor. Which is fine with me, no extra weight. But is a bugger in Summer because its BLACK.
The XT6 here has a Full Time 5spd with diff lock. Also comes with a Full Time 4EAT.

sublime

Post by sublime » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Magazines such as Wheels, Turbo (anyone remember that one?) and Modern Motor all complained about the manual version of the RX not having power steering as standard (unlike the automatic) when it was first released (1986).

Most also complained about how bad the manual steering was as it was too heavy and had problems with torque steer. The power steering models were, conversely, highly praised at the time.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:08 pm

I would expect that power steer and air con were factory options and would have been at a price premium .

As far as rally is concerned power steering is a big advantage when giving a FWD or 4WD car a bit of stick .

It was pure fluke that my 85 built and 86 first regestered RX Turbo had most of the Aus spec options .

My preference was to flick the AC because of engine cooling issues and the weight of the compressor and cradle are significant , a big plus is losing the hard to work around AC belts niggly tensioner too . The original single belt form easily drives the water pump/alternator/power steer pump . Actually my car has a longer than std belt and non AC alt mount brackets and this allowed
me to "hinge" the alt up higher out of the main rad fans air discharge path .

Because I like cars with lots of positive caster I would have fitted power steer if it was not std on this car , the extra caster makes manual steering heavy . Also generally power steer racks are beefier than manual ones .

As I said recently if I was ever to buy another one I'd really prefer the later 4 plug ECU cars which I think are mid 87 on .
When I get access to an 86 factory WS manual (next week) I must check up on the curb weight of 85/86 build cars compared to the mid 87 and on ones .

Cheers A .

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:19 pm

discopotato03 wrote: As I said recently if I was ever to buy another one I'd really prefer the later 4 plug ECU cars which I think are mid 87 on .
why is a 4 plug better than a 3 plug? i have no idea what the difference is

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:21 pm

4 plug vs 3 plug
showthread.php?t=3784
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:00 pm

Dept of Motor Transport Vehicle Specificatins sheet number Subaru 18 on the 1.8l 4WD turbo sedan issued '86 april

tare weight of RX Turbo 1.8 4WD is 1070kg
tare weight of 4GLTA turbo 4WD is 1090
plus all the options of

air cond add 30 kilos ....option for both
tow bar add 14 kilos ...ditto
power steer std on auto N/A on manual
sun roof, who has one only on auto ..add 15 kilos

then , get this , lists sunraysia type white alloy wheels take off ten kilos for either and alloy wheels only available on the auto ? they are wrong are they not? take off 20kg for the alloys and take off ten for the sunraysia alloys ?

it also states drum brake rear

wrong, bloody wrong

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:56 am

every rx i have come across never had p/s (untill i fitted it)mime was a import it a/c (didnt work) but no p/s big bird's rx had p/s fitted from a vortex, and i friend of mine that bought a bog stock rx a few years ago had a/c but no p/s.

i guess coz it was marketed as a sports/ rally car they thought it would need it or something
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:22 am

AC add 30 kilos , no wonder the front ride height lifted after all the underbonnet crap was removed . Does the remaining stuff in near the heater weigh anything significant ?

Mine also has the towbar and prehistoric round I think 4 pin connector .

I must look up what the mid 87 RX's weigh to see if they were any heavier .
Mines supposed to be 1070 kg .

Cheers A .

PS Basically the mid ? 87 on 4 plug Hotwire engine control system does ignition timing as well where the earlier 3 plug system only does EFI . Its timing is controlled like a convention distributor but with nock sensing extras and retard in a separate box .

You could say the early system is EFI and the later full engine management .

If anyone has the road car reviews of these RX's when new would like to see if available on line .

Thanks muchly , A .

timmo

Post by timmo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:25 pm

I've got a modern motor magazine from '86 that has an article on the RX you could borrow it - i dont have a scanner. Theres an online one somewhere on the Group A rally spec model titled "quasi-quattro"
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:53 pm

timmo wrote:I've got a modern motor magazine from '86 that has an article on the RX you could borrow it - i dont have a scanner.
By borrow do you mean that you would be able to photo copy and mail?

timmo

Post by timmo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:21 am

yeah theres a colour photo copier at work i could run some off and mail them if people were extra nice to me! The article is writen by michael stahl (now at wheels) June 1986 Title is "Dual Purpose Dilema.... the suburban struggler becomes a dirt demon!" They're not overly complementary apart from its ability on dirt.
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

Return to “Subaru Chat”