EOI -> Cape York Trip 2010

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am

Fatz wrote:would be boring as hell and no point IMO
Exactly, but its the only road up there a non lifted subaru will negotiate without sustaining lower body/bumper damage/scraping, and I believe this was the question raised.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:18 am

well i got my pre approval for the 4-5 weeks off work for the end of may through june..
so you can now put me down as committed.
anyone else got confirmation to whether or not your coming along?

DavesB4

Post by DavesB4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:17 pm

This thread is scarily quiet - considering we are already into February and June is only really 4 more months away.

I am at the point of needing to commit to dates now to be certain of getting the right amount of leave.

Here's my plan
  • Finish work on Friday 28th May
  • Be wherever I need to be to meet up on 1st June - hopefully Brisbane but somewhere between there and Cairns is doable
  • I have allocated a week beyond Cairns to the top and another week back to Cairns
  • Another week or so back from Cairns to Sydney
  • Back to work on Monday 28th June
That is a neat 4 weeks away and I think it should allow me to see what I want to see.

Is there more information forthcoming or do I need to seriously consider doing this trip myself? I am going anyway because I need a serious road trip and this is probably about as serious as it gets.

Is there a "Trip Co-ordinator" to compile and arrange meet points? Someone who knows a bit more than I do about the area would be good.

I think there are a couple of starters in this thread - what are their plans?
Dave Hill

MY13 Outback - The new blue one.
MY99 Outback - As it's maker intended - but with a fresher engine now.
1994 RS Turbo - Not quite so stock! And freshly repainted now :)
And then there's the family Vortex - rebuilt, updated and now unregistered and gathering dust in the shed.
:D

DavesB4

Post by DavesB4 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Bad news I am afraid

I am probably not going on this journey :mad: :(:-(:-(

Well not this year at least...

Funding the trip has become a bit of an issue for me and I have had to pull the pin.

Maybe next year???

At least there might not be as much water in Queensland then.
Dave Hill

MY13 Outback - The new blue one.
MY99 Outback - As it's maker intended - but with a fresher engine now.
1994 RS Turbo - Not quite so stock! And freshly repainted now :)
And then there's the family Vortex - rebuilt, updated and now unregistered and gathering dust in the shed.
:D

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:56 am

well my plan is pretty much the same as daves, but will take a bit longer to get there and back

but will meet wherever on the first and go with the flow!

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:29 pm

johnny,
confused by your post?

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:32 pm

DavesB4 wrote:This thread is scarily quiet - considering we are already into February and June is only really 4 more months away.

I am at the point of needing to commit to dates now to be certain of getting the right amount of leave.

Here's my plan
  • Finish work on Friday 28th May
  • Be wherever I need to be to meet up on 1st June - hopefully Brisbane but somewhere between there and Cairns is doable
  • I have allocated a week beyond Cairns to the top and another week back to Cairns
  • Another week or so back from Cairns to Sydney
  • Back to work on Monday 28th June
That is a neat 4 weeks away and I think it should allow me to see what I want to see.

Is there more information forthcoming or do I need to seriously consider doing this trip myself? I am going anyway because I need a serious road trip and this is probably about as serious as it gets.

Is there a "Trip Co-ordinator" to compile and arrange meet points? Someone who knows a bit more than I do about the area would be good.

I think there are a couple of starters in this thread - what are their plans?
above sounds good, but leaving from tas so will leave a few days earlier....

that better fatty adam???

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:37 pm

much better :)
so is this trip going to just be us tassie blokes?
or are there still some silent comrades among us?

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:00 am

leave in and done.
i have taken 24/5/10-2/7/10 off.
now time to save and cape york proof my bus.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:44 am

good to see you tassie guys (and DavesB4) are sticking to your guns and going through with this!

What cars are you guys planning on taking? I am taking my lib up this year but not when you guys are up there.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:17 pm

johnny is still planning on taking his brumby.
ill be taking my gu ute..

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Yeah good to see guys! I am spewing that i can't get time off work!!! Grr!! If you want / need somewhere to stay in Townsville let me know, you all welcome visit! Depending on time i might come up to cairns and do the first part of the track with you. Are you doing the Creb Track? As it could be a good proving ground close enough to spares to rattle down your cars so to speak.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:14 pm

im still in
leave is also approved!
plan is to take the brumby, but i havent actually started it in the last 6 months at least, so it could be interesting...

as for where we are planning on going or staying... we have no idea on any specifics yet, just did a rough guestimate on google maps to work out how long we should need

any thoughts and suggestions are welcome, and we would love to meet up with some fellow ausubaruers along the way!

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:12 am

Johnny and I are getting closer to having things ready to go, we have decided to meet at cockle creek (lowest point in Tasmania) to begin our embark to cape york. Get to say that we have done a return trip from lowest point in Aus to highest point. Pics and video footage will be captured along the way.
It really would be great to catch up with at least one of you guys during our trip.
Just wanting to know if everyone else has pulled out due to whatever reasons, or if some of you are still keen for the journey.. (or at least a catch up along the way)
We will post up our routes closer to date.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Fri May 21, 2010 5:08 pm

looks like its just you and me fatty ol boy!

we are on the boat on tuesday!

if anyone wants to say hi, then let us know and we may be able to come visit while were on the big island

starting a bit of a blog for the progress for anyone whos interested
Bloggedy Blog Blog

cheers

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Fri May 21, 2010 5:36 pm

When you get as high as townsville feel free to call and say hi or stay the night or whatever? I Really wish i could get time off work it suxs so bad!!!!
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 am

Well Guys,
Bluesteel and I are off today for the big journey.
Is a shame that all of you pulled out :(
Would have been great to put some faces to names.
Anyway. Will call back in 6 weeks with some pics and stories of our adventure from Tassie to Cape York!!!
(Thanks Matt, Ill be taking up the laptop and Internet card, if we head around townsville area, ill shoot you a pm with my number.
Toodles

brumbybear

Post by brumbybear » Tue May 25, 2010 9:17 am

safe trip guys and enjoy...
Im looking for a cheap second hand 2-4" lift kit for my brumby... if u have one pm me plz

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue May 25, 2010 9:40 am

good luck guys and please keep us up to date with your progress. I am heading up in September so i will be watching your trip with interest.

If you need any help when your passing through brisbane (parts / tools etc) PM me. I have lots of good contacts in the area
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 25, 2010 11:53 am

Have an awesome trip! Let us know if you need a patch of grass to pull up on for the night, although I'm a little bit west of the hume its not too far off...

Take loads of pics!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Queensland”