Turbo Coversion

jimmeh14

Turbo Coversion

Post by jimmeh14 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:58 am

Hey all,
This thread is sort of unrelated from subarus but it is talking about one...
I have a Subaru Liberty 1995 GEN2 as my first car.
Non-turbo EJ22 rebuilt engine, cool air intake, extractors, exhaust etc.
So.. last year queensland transport implied a new law where P platers cant have turbo cars or V8 cars.
BUT.. a guy who i buy subaru parts off told me a way that i could get around this.
He said; If i register my car now as a non turbo car, when they put in the VIN etc it will come up as naturally aspirated cause thats what the factory engine is. Once its registered as a naturally aspirated engine, i can perform a turbo modification, and when i tell QLD transport, i can file it as just an engine modification and techincaly i can't get introuble for having a turbo engine because its registered as a naturally aspirated engine with an engine mod.
could this actually be possible and i could drive around my subaru with a turbo ??? :confused::confused::confused:

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:33 pm

no

Best mod you can do is an advanced driving course

Sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:09 pm

When the policeman pulls you over and opens your bonnet, it wouldnt matter if your car was registered as a push bike, you still have a turbo engine.

You have a recently rebuilt engine, why throw it away. If you want a bit more poke out of the engine, you could get some cams that move the powerband up higher in the rev range.

Spend your money on good quality tyres and mods to the suspension to improve the handling. Even just new struts and bushes can make a big difference to the handling abilities of an older car
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:37 pm

good advice from both members there is a reason that you are restricted to the type of engine you are allowed to have and thats comes from a very old saying

"no parent should outlive their child"

do a driver training course, while going fast is great fun it is that extremely sudden stop that kills and if it doesn't kill you, you could be resposible for the deaths of others which is the hardest burden of all to carry.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “Queensland”