Nowra - Yalwal

fredsub

Nowra - Yalwal

Post by fredsub » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:55 am

Nothing much goin on in nsw:confused:. so thought may as well add this intro to the yalwal area just out of Nowra.

camping...

plenty of firewood supplied, and pick a cold winter weekend out of school holidays, and probably have the place to yourself.
Flush toilets for the ladies!

The dam..

Its freezing let me tell you, now I thought I might have a decent swim as i'm an all year round swimmer at the local rock pool, but f!#@ this here!!
ventured out a few meters and muscles started seizing up, f@$! this!

Fire trails, ok there are heaps of fire trails in the area to explore. Some quite steep, I only tried the well graded ones:rolleyes: - no lift, just king springs (if that really adds anything not sure - but it copes well with the bumps)
And I'm not too confident with the OBW, the L series I would go anywhere here
Had to take some bits very slow, as I was sure I'd scrape the bottom.
Even though there was some bit of rain, I didn't find mud - damn! car still looked way too clean after.

Its actually very steep.
Heres the thing, I've found some new respect in the torque characteristic of the 2.5EJ, and also the low range did apparently make a big difference ?? this surprised me, because I thought that just couldn't be right???
claytons low-range and all that....

Best thing all of this trip, was only a 3/4 tank trip. I think the way things are going we will be decides trips on how many tankfulls:(.

There are so many OBW s around my area, as common as flies, yet mine is the only dirty one I've EVER seen round here!:(

subalex

Post by subalex » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Hey there Fredsub, I just took my 9 yr old daughter and 4 yr old son for a camp overnight on Friday just outside Lithgow so we could take our time getting to Kanangra Walls on Saturday. The camp overnight was, like your spot, incredibly cold (about 0 to -2 deg overnight) so my gas cooker wouldn't even work - spent 30 minutes trying to cook one pancake!! Ice on the kitchen box and table before I retired for the night.

As for the OBW. You might recall me mentioning that I went somewhat backwards and went from a new, luxurious '02 Outback Limited, with all the trimmings, to a 13 year old base spec L-series because I knew that simplicity would rule offroad. It sure does settle your mind when off the bitumen that you're not going to scratch any of that valuable paint off the bumpers or rip something off underneath. How's that power though, I do miss that.

I'm looking to do another trip over a long weekend (Fri-Sun or Sat to Mon) again soon... particularly Sydney-Lithgow-Oberon-Yerranderie-Abercrombie-Nowra-Sydney in the next couple of months. Anyone else like to do that? I'm looking to make it a real getaway... decent off-roading (fire-trails, creek crossings, steep hills), camping in the tent, doing some sight seeing bushwalks along the route.

Anyone else up for that?

Oh, and as for fuel being a key element to planning a trip nowadays... whoa yeah! Thanks to keeping the L-series it's still relatively cheap. I've decided against selling it and getting a Pajero largely for that reason.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Looks like a nice place Fred. Thanks for sharing with us!! Your right there is not alot happening in NSW, were all here though just quiet, keep up the good work mate.

So when is the 2" lift coming along? There are a few out there now that have sorted out any issues Im sure. No reason she can't be better that the L;)

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:12 pm

nice read mate.

good to see your taking the OB out and about.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

subalex

Post by subalex » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:32 am

Hey, reading the times of the last few posts, what are we all doing online at that time of night... poor desperate souls aren't we...
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:40 pm

subalex wrote:Hey, reading the times of the last few posts, what are we all doing online at that time of night... poor desperate souls aren't we...
depends what state u live in :p
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Hey Alex, this time of year! stuff the Gas Cooker;) nothing like a nice warm camp fire and the camp oven:D

Some more pics of yalwal

lookout on the way in

Dangera Dam

Gold!!

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:59 pm

awesome photos there!!

im considering miking a trip over east to see some of the site like this

cheers for sharing the pics:)

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:14 pm

some more about Nowra to give you a idea ...

airshow

Fleet air-arm Musuem

some other pics in the area.....

subalex

Post by subalex » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Ha! Campfire! I couldn't get the thing going because of the cold. I needed some kero bombs or firelighters to really get it going enough to burn more than the smaller sticks. It was bizarre, usually it's a matter of turning the fire down, not struggling to get it going.

Great images there. However, the lack of humans in the photos suggests that you were alone? I know how it works mate... unless you tell someone about it or show photos it didn't happen. Ok, you proved it. :-)

I'll see if I can get some pics off the phone of Kanangra Walls here.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:25 pm

the pics at the start of thread, I was there just a few week-ends ago,
other pics are of my collection of the area, different times and year!
subalex wrote:Ha! Campfire! I couldn't get the thing going because of the cold. I needed some kero bombs or firelighters to really get it going enough to burn more than the smaller sticks. It was bizarre, usually it's a matter of turning the fire down, not struggling to get it going.
You need to get out more often, that's embarrassing not being able to start a fire.......

subalex

Post by subalex » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:37 pm

I had an awful feeling that someone might pick up that phrase and, with a dirty, foul-minded immature mind, spin it around out of context and throw it back at me like that.... I would have :-)

Yeah. I know. My wife wasn't anywhere nearby and I ain't getting a "fire" started anyhow else... I gotta get out more... tell me about it... but it's hard enough getting away from the handbrake as it was for just one night.

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”