4WD trip from Huskisson - any takers?

subalex

4WD trip from Huskisson - any takers?

Post by subalex » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:04 pm

I'm taking the family fo a camping trip at Huskisson in the second week of the school hol's (Oct 6-10). Anyone like to join me in a 4WD trip nearby?

There's heaps of great 4WDing around there and nearby Nowra but I've not done any of the tracks there and they can be pretty challenging (just what I'm in for) so I need at least one other travel buddy.

Alex
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:09 pm

gee, not much notice there matey

when you heading down?

but my OBW is no good for challenging tracks if your looking for company.....

subalex

Post by subalex » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 pm

Yeah, sorry I haven't given much notice, however, I'm on holidays now and I can never get to organise anything for a trip until work finishes at the end of term. Now I'm looking to get out and about during the week I'm down South.

I've made the decision to do the Tianjara Fire Trail trip (as detailed in the 4WD Treks Close to Sydney book by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage) next Thursday, 9th October meeting in Nowra at 9am. It starts in Nowra and goes to the Historic Yalwal remains at Danjera Dam, down to Tianjara Falls, then on to George Boyd Lookout and back to the hwy. It's a family affair, I'll probably have three of my kids along.

There are heaps of other ideas about sections of the nearby tracks being tossed at me since I decided to lead the trip yesterday and the Subaru 4WD Club endorsed it. You're still welcome to join me even if you're not a club member.

As for difficulty for an Outback... I'll check with the Club's training officers, one of which is an OBW driver himself and may well have done the trip before. Off the bat right now I can't see there being any troubles except for a couple of shorter sections that have bigger washouts. Anyway, I'll ask and get back to you if you're interested.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:37 pm

I know of that trail, years ago it was quite a serious trail, and no expense spared in blocking it off, see the massive concrete blocks steel cabled together at the yalwal end,
however a few months ago seen the gate was open, so ??
you shouldn't have too much trouble with your 3in lifted L.
as for OBW......maybe its been graded.....

subalex

Post by subalex » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:35 pm

A few years ago I do know that Yarramunmun Trail was used as the link between Yalwal and Tianjara Falls but now it's under local council control and the gates at either end aren't available for the public to borrow a key to... I asked today. So that rules out that route that many people used to use and was even in the trip notes in a book I have.

However, I'm not going to use that route anyway. Following Deans Gap Road and Turpentine Road does the same job. The treks most difficult section would be Twelve Mile Road (the most southern replacement section for Yarramunmun Trail) for an Outback but don't quote me on that yet. I'll ask. I used to drive a standard Outback and I hated constantly hearing it couldn't do such and such... but loved proving them wrong. That said, it does have its limitations and damage on one of those babies is far more costly than the old thing I have now. (Gradually becoming newer... a full complement of Nolathane bushes today and a new CV... AWD gearbox, seats and EJ coming up).

:-)

subalex

Post by subalex » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm leaving for Huskisson tomorrow so if you want to join me on the trail call me on my mobile 0403 223288. As for the tracks on the day, I've got all the toppos for the area and have had some members sent me some of their favourite tracks through there. At the very least I will try the Tianjara Trail on the way back to the Princes Hwy after seeing Yalwal and Tianjara Falls, me thinks. This is definitely out for a standard Outback so I hear, though, sorry this time Fredsub.

Cheers,
Alex

subalex

Post by subalex » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Well, I took one of the youngest with me for the day trip out to Yalwal, Tianjara Falls and George Boyd lookout. We had a great of it and the track weren't too much of a hassle at all in the end. The locations, however, were spectacular and well worth the effort. It's a pity nobody else came along this time. That said, I didn't have time to go along the Tianjara Fire Trail at all so I'm going back one day to finish this off and carry on Southward to some other great locations I've heard about too. Here's just a few select photos from the day taken on my phone... click for larger versions

Saals Lookout

Yalwal

Yalwal cemetary view

Tianjara Falls lookout

A small part of the view from George Boyd lookout

Bragging photo ok... which one of these babies am I more proud of??

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”