DENI 2009, The Good, mainly the bad, and the Ugly. Comments appreciated.

carlie400

DENI 2009, The Good, mainly the bad, and the Ugly. Comments appreciated.

Post by carlie400 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:49 am

Hi Guys, I am sorry I have to have a grumble.
I have been attending DENI every year since 2005, I buy my tickets as early as possible every year and usually have an absolute ball!
This year however.. To name a few dramas...
Two girls had their esky stolen with all their FOOD for the weekend in it, one guy had his gas bottle and lantern stolen, I had 5 flags stolen from my flag pole (one of which is unique and was given to me by my grandfather who recently passed away) another mate of mine had his ute damaged by drunken idiots trying to lift it.. I can go on.. my ute and three others got sprayed with rocks and mud by some drunken idiot driving around the paddock damaging the paddock and chewing up the humps that are there for a reason, I cant imaging the paddock owner being too happy about that. Anyway, Powderfinger???!!! Thats not country.
Anyway, we used to come to deni for a relaxing weekend, show off our utes and catch up with mates.. now, we spending all our time locking everything down if we want to go anywhere and they only people who come up for a chat either say.. show us your tits OR have you seen my ? it has been stolen.. Its just not right. i will be returning next year but only to see if the idiot that stole my flag is stupid enough to fly it in 12mths time. If it has not improved we will not be returning in 2011. I am sorry to have to winge but its just not like it used to be, the crowds are changing and they are changing for the worse. I know the organizers are just into making money but if it keeps going the way it is they may as well turn it into just another rock festival and call it a day.
I was terribly disappointed this year and if anyone has any leads on my missing flag I would greatly appreciate it.. Its big and bright green with bright yellow writing saying UTES on it. There will be a reward if found.
Cheers, Carlie.
Not Fugly!![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Willie

Post by Willie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:50 am

Sound familiar ....

A good mate of mine from Wadonga used to go down each year with his rare Toyota Tiagra ute - think Datsun 1200 ute, but a Toyota!

He stopped going a couple of years ago when his ute was damaged by drunks lifting it up - they damaged the rear panel. Than late one night, a few drunks tried to break into it to take it for a run. When my mate woke up and told them to piss off, they turned on him and broke his nose. They then threw a stubbie through the side window. These idiots were caught and charged by police, but were only given a $200 fine and no conviction recorded by the judge.
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Yeah - it was Sunnie that copped a bum dent in the rear tailgate. Being our first time there we camped in the family section, then moved into the ute section - it was the moving that got us noticed by the mind-numbed "by dick is bigger than yours" excuse for a man... A few guys lifted the rear of the brumby to do a wheelie not realising that its frontwheel drive (and that I was engaged in 4wd). This is when the dent happened. I should push out ok - but I shouldn't have to be repairing the vehicle anyway.

In general there's a serious lack of respect for any property that is not their own :( This goes for students in schools too.

I agree with Carlie about the choice of band - Powderfinger can be seen just about anywhere and its not country - the music the night before was completely country, even the covers they did from time to time were in a country style.

Being my first I enjoyed it (except the moving of the ute) - we learned a lot - what to take (firewood!) and how to do it next time - get in the ute section early while everyone else is busy setting up, and just starting to can on.

I think there may be a bit of a blur starting to occur between B&S balls and the ute muster... Anyway, we can only hope it gets better next year and that I get into one of the records :mrgreen: I missed the bluey record :(

I'll resize the photos I took and post them up somewhere.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:17 pm

This is a shame. I saw Charles Woollies piece on 60 minutes about the Deni Ute Muster, and while I thought, Gee this is getting to be a big show, when I saw him with the idiot in the car doing donuts I thought, well the event is obviously attracting all the dickheads as well. Not the sort of place I would be taking my ute, I'm sorry.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Oh i thought they were well behaved? News you dont hear about.. what a shame because I've always wanted to go there too... and if you hear that kind of thing happening puts you off..
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:24 pm

subybrumby wrote:This is a shame. I saw Charles Woollies piece on 60 minutes about the Deni Ute Muster, and while I thought, Gee this is getting to be a big show, when I saw him with the idiot in the car doing donuts I thought, well the event is obviously attracting all the dickheads as well. Not the sort of place I would be taking my ute, I'm sorry.
I missed it :( Would've been good to see what they were reporting - most things I've been to are misrepresented by the media. Any event like this is going to have its ugly side, just a shame that Carlie really felt the brunt of it.

Bennie

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:28 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:Oh i thought they were well behaved? News you dont hear about.. what a shame because I've always wanted to go there too... and if you hear that kind of thing happening puts you off..
Cheers
AP

As Freddo suggests, its how the media reports it. The media isn't going to be reporting all the things carlie has written either, because they would have no idea, it would be so insignificant in the scheme of it all, but for the individuals like carlie who had to put up with it, it would obviously be the difference between a good time and a bad.

The Falls Festival in Tas, was great in its first few years, but as it got popular it got bigger and as it got bigger the ratio of 'not so nice people' begun hugely outweighing the true festival goers.
Last year (it was to be my last time attending) people were getting bashed with cricket bats, stabbed with wickets :O, people bought paddock bashers along to only leave them there and then hooligans went about rolling and smashing them, don't look at anyone wrongly, in fact don't look at anyone :S the list goes on. None of this will get reported. This is all the stuff that only I knew about, Imagine how much else happened there!?

The media sees the event as a success because of record crowds, big headlining acts ra ra ra, but the people on the ground see it much differently.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:25 pm

I remember years ago going every year to a car show in Canberra, was great time to cacth up with other like minded people and have a bit of fun catching up with mates, then there was the year when traffic lights where up rooted and the police came down hard ,real hard and it became a yob fest.

Doesnt it just suck when something that starts out as a really good idea turns to shit because of a handfull of idiots.

I hope it does get better as i have been wanting to go to Deni once i have the ute going
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

Dane

Post by Dane » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:59 am

I think the idiots spend all their time travelling from Festival to Festival. Ripping stuff off as they go to pay for fuel, tickets and booze.

carlie400

Deni

Post by carlie400 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi All,

Don't get discouraged due to my recent bad experiences. There are a lot of good people that still go. I have got some insider news on the line up acts for next year and it seems they may be pulling their heads in a little bit and going back to country.. Guess we will have to wait and see.

For those of you that want to go up, perhaps we could organize our own convoy or something ? I was thinking about going in the lights on convoy for next year but will see what happens.

No - the media dont always report whats right / real and I did see that on TV.. The utes doing doughnuts weren't in the crowd they were in the barrel racing comp... We didnt actually get to see that.. too busy guarding our stuff back at camp! But still it is a good weekend... I will give it one more year and see what happens! I have not given up hope yet!

My previous comment though... is not to say that people dont do burnouts in the ute paddock... it does happen, most people have brains though and the cops are around quite a bit to stop drink drivers...

Anyhoo... No luck finding the flag yet... but if anyone does want to go to deni with us next year, I buy my tickets early (they are cheaper) and usually leave on the Thursday before (camp on the edwards do a bit of fishing and talkin crap) then travel in and camp on the edwards sunday night, travel back Monday missing the traffic...

I have probably rambled enough but if anyone wants anymore info send me a pm, Im happy to fill you in on anything I may know about the event!

Cheers! Carlie!
Not Fugly!![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:14 pm

I reckon I'll be keen for next year - just gotta sort me with a rough (cheap) brumby...

I did have a good time this year, being my first. We left with the crowd thinking that we were heading in for the rolling record that had actually been canelled. We made good time through deni and cooked up a storm in Mandarah (is that the town?) for breakfast before heading on home to benders. We saw one cop car in deni doing breathos and that was it.

So plans are being prepared for next year's event... I'll def be grabbing a program next time!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”