Want more power

rexy

Want more power

Post by rexy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Hey Guys,

Dynoed late last year, 153 kw atw - want more power now (I want to reach the 200 kw atw mark). Only mod is a 3in turbo back system, im thinking - cold air intake/ecu tune/re-core my tmic (not sure about a fmic yet). I dont have a huge budget so a turbo upgrade would be the last option. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated, cheers Vic.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:41 pm

You want 200kW at the wheels on a small budget?

What year model is your car?

Presuming your car is a 98 model or older...

You will need...
* 650cc injectors and parallel fuel rails
* FMIC
* Some form of fuel management, either piggy back or replacement ECU
* Turbo, a vf34, or slightly bigger like a VF23 or TD05 20g (but will make it more laggy)

Much easier if you had an EJ25

But i must ask, why do you want 200kW? Its just a number.
You could have 180kW and have a much more drivable car
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:35 am

Ok so it's a 99 STI, I'd suggest a Bunnings CAI about $20 (90mm pipe from your air box into the guard) a GD WRX top mount, pretty easy to change over and an under manifold intake around $120 + freight from http://stores.ebay.com/ZENARacing that should knock about .5 off down the Qtr, that's all I've done to mine and if it wasn't for a strong head wind I'd have easily hit the 12's.
Mine was dynoed at 157 with just Cai & zorst when the best it would do was 13.4 so the other couple of mods made a big difference remembering mine is heavier than yours too
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

rexy

Post by rexy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Yep, thought that - just not possible on a small budget.

99 sti coupe

Thanks for the below suggestions guys, very much appreciated.
I think i'll go with the CAI & ECU tune for starters. I do want a driveable car.

Yep, 200 kw is just a number. I'll be be happy with what ever few kws i can get. Mission is to get there 1 day thou, slowly but surely (finances back in order...etc). Cheers Guys, very much appreciated.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:53 pm

My son recently sold his 2 door V5 STI, it had 3" TBE, a PWR top mount, VF34, Autronics, pod and after all that it was only .4 quicker than mine down the qtr 12.68 and it only started to pull away toward the top end of 2nd (not that we ever had any drags lol) mods I'm suggesting should cost less than $300. My daughter has a Ltd Edition 00 WRX also.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Your call but what you want to do is make more torque without necessarily increasing the state of tune so to speak . On a budget , not easy .

An expensive but worthwhile mod is to buy the factory twin scroll header manifiold and use one of the factory twin scroll turbos - preferably a ball bearing one . To fit it up you need the matching sump pan and oil pick up too .
The win is two fold , engine breathes properly on the exhaust side and the turbos have greater pulse energy to get them cracking sooner .

This is the way to have more torque without turning higher revs and the reason why Legacy GT's OS use them to pull the extra weight .

People don't like hearing it but that moronic boxer burble is the signature of an engine with its exhaust phasing all screwed up . Really the layout of the std header is an accountants decision not an engineers one because no turbo four cylinder engine functions terribly well with the wrong pairing of exhaust ports in the manifold . The cylinders don't scavange properly and the exhaust pulses all fight each other in a common turbine housing .
The fact that Subaru made a twin scroll system proves that they know there is room for improvement in the single scroll version .
The hatefull example for Soobphyles .
All Evolution Lancers from 4-10 have twin scroll turbochargers and split pulsed exhaust manifolds and its a lot of the reason why they pull like buggery at lowish revs . My 6 has a 10.5cm turbine housing on its std TD0516G bush bearing turbo and its not the least bit laggy , supposed to have 206 Kw rock stock std on 11 pounds of boost .

A three inch exhaust will cost you torque down low and the production rally Rex's often go to 2.5" tube in what some call the "diff back" section . The reason being that the exhaust gas cools and contracts quickly along the exhaust and slows down if the tube is large down the back . As the gas slows it loses momentum and any extraction effect down stream of the turbine housing . You get reversions meaning poor scavanging/air charge dilution and pre heating which costs torque to get the thing moving .

Even if you do all this I wonder if the gearbox is going to put up with the kind of torque developed in a 230+ Kw engine ...

A friends Evo 7 has a larger after market TS turbine housing/3" exhaust/Walbro pump/larger injectors/simple boost controller/higher rated boost actuator/18+ pounds of boost and E85 . It was flash tuned and churned out I think 240 Kw on Insights chassis dyno and I have to assume this is wheel killowatts .
I know for a fact this original engine has NOT had the head off or aftermarket cams fitted and its manifolds are unported factory std ones . Its not laggy and drives like factory around town . I haven't been in it yet but by all accounts its scary fast with the boot in .

A .

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”