Possibly coming over to Canberra - meet and greet anyone?

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Fri May 05, 2006 7:26 pm

It won't technically be a fourby, but really a hire car can be anything you want it to be :lol:.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 06, 2006 11:13 am

So, did Tim make it or did he fly over the Bermuda Triangle on the way ?

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sat May 06, 2006 12:22 pm

Another month Jono. Haven't taken off yet. :D
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Thu May 18, 2006 11:27 pm

So who's up for a mine shaft and surrounding areas run the weekend Tim is over this way, I'm keen to get the Outback off the bituman and Tim needs a chance to demolish his hire car :twisted:

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

LTurbo

Post by LTurbo » Fri May 19, 2006 12:03 am

yep yep yep, lets go. Hurry up Timmae, when you coming?

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Fri May 19, 2006 1:36 am

Hey guys, got my tickets today, finally have some (semi) definite details for you.

I'm arriving early in the morning on Thursday the 1st of June (midnight horror!) and leaving the following Monday around 5pm. I'm planning on spending a fair bit of time outside of the Subaru circle so to speak, family obligations. I have been toying with the idea of spending a night in Sydney (smoov offered to put me up :D) but I'm still not 100%. I'm not even totally sure I'm getting a hire car, so this is the main hiccup in me laying down definite plans. Oh and if I do get one, I plan on giving it back in one piece, albeit with a little less road grip :P
I definitely want to head out to Robertson to meet Sir ChickenPants, and I definitely want to meet all the ACT members!

I have to start making plans for the WA Subaru DVD's I'll be bringing - how many should I bring roughly?

I'm also going to do some of the touristy stuff too - it's not every day a West Aussie like me gets to visit the nation's capital.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 19, 2006 2:00 pm

If you get to Robertson, they have a pretty famous pie shop, and you'll need a bit of nourishment after your month of 20 cent noodles .

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Fri May 19, 2006 7:06 pm

Yes they do, among others the Apple and Wildberry pies are hard to beat.

They also have an unreal pizza and ribs shop, nourishment a plenty in robo :wink:

Jordan.

smoov

Post by smoov » Sat May 20, 2006 1:12 am

im already craving a pie since my last visit, of about a couple of months ago..... :lol:

c'mon tim.... you can't come to the east (best) side without visiting sydney... 8)

1 X DVD my way please :wink:
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sat May 20, 2006 8:18 am

Oh yeah, I'll grab a DVD too thanks :D

Jordan.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sat May 20, 2006 10:48 am

5days is very tight i'd say,eg if you want to see war memorial (recommended) it takes a day, been there last week, from 11am-5pm, I think I got to walk thru all the halls,but not saying I saw everything. Hadn't been there since I was 12 or so, Alot of audio/visual effects etc now, and less up close to some stuff as i remember.

You mention going to Robertson, can I suggest an itinery then? Goulborne, wombeyan caves,Mittagong,Robertson, maybe do this on the Sunday ? maybe ask the Baron if you can camp over, and return to Canberra via freeway on monday for your flight back? The wombeyan part will give you a good experience of winding dirt road (should be allowable for your hire car) thru the mountains.
... you can't come to the east (best) side without visiting sydney...
bah ! Sydney is looking like any other sky scrappered city getting more so all the time..you won't miss anything there, and you will miss getting lost for 1/2 day tho :wink:

smoov

Post by smoov » Sat May 20, 2006 3:38 pm

i'll place any money on the table (as long as i can have a refund :P) that tim will attract a fraction more females in sydney, rather than wombeyan caves 8) :lol:
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sun May 21, 2006 4:41 pm

Fred that does sound a likely proposition. I'm deliberately running a bit of a loose itinerary, so I'll see where I end up going.
Alex, what's wrong with cave-girls? :lol:

So is there any sort of ACT member meeting I can arrange? Not sure if I want to smash a hire Corolla down a mine shaft either. :P

The countdown has definitely begun, got my passport and have changed $500 of West Aussie dollars into Canberran Rupees (awesome exchange rate atm!) and I've had my travel immunisation shots. :lol: :P
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm

Cave girls ?? depends on how you carry them :twisted:

better you hurt a corolla that you can hand back than any1 elses !!

make sure you spend all your Canberra Currency because you won't be able to change it back into your western dollars when you get back

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Mon May 22, 2006 9:29 am

cave girls ? :P :P they'd be a whole lot less complicated, don't ya think? gota work on that time machine project too :lol: first stop ......err i degress...

:twisted: lol given smoov's answers i was almost beginning to think this was a east coast smut sampling tour :twisted: not that theres anything wrong with that :!:

anyway Goulbourne is a good halfway point, tops 2hours from Sydney, easy 2hr(less) from Canberra - good meeting point, i'd be tempted to get there too...for another drive down the wombeyan road. Do you think its possible we could get a good turnout of ppl, to show wa?

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Mon May 22, 2006 5:41 pm

Is there a possiblity you're going to be available on the Friday afternoon for a coupla hours? Can't seem to manage much else unfortunately.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm

Absolutely Muddy, it's all up in the air at the moment...
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Mon May 22, 2006 7:43 pm

Righteo - we'll keep in touch about that.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue May 23, 2006 10:30 pm

Well here I was thinking it was all up in the air... forgot I had a mum for a second there! I now have an itinerary, well, she gave me one and I just rang her to move some stuff about - she left NO time for Subaru stuff at all! 8O

When I said I had my tickets that was a little bit of a fib. You see I had got word that my mum had got me my tickets, and yes she did. However in an effort to save every last penny I've had my departure time shunted forward 1 full day! I now leave Sunday arvo, 5pm!

We are getting a hire car. By the sounds of things I'm not even sure if I get to drive the damn thing, I'm under 25 and thus I cost heaps more - my offer of paying entirely for the car has gone unnoticed, every last dollar counts apparently. So my idea of giving it to a manual Corolla is fading away quickly.

Mum's got Thursday and Friday off now - despite telling me otherwise last week. So Thursday its being a tourist in Canberra, not a problem for me at all. I'll go see the museum and war memorial on this day, and if I can I might squeeze a little more sightseeing in here. Friday we're off to the Snowy Mountains (very pleased with this) however she frowned on the idea of detouring to Tumut to see Muddy. BTW, I can't find any good maps of the ACT and the place names over there and in country NSW are downright scary. I'm spending Friday night in the Snowys and returning Saturday. Both Saturday arvo and Sunday until mid arvo by the sounds of it are free, although I'm not 100%. Somewhere around this time I'd love to meet some of the ACT members (Thomas?), and if I get a few hours I'd like to drive out to Robertson and meet Jordan.
Unfortunately its pretty definite I won't have time to get out to Sydney. However I will hopefully find my way out there within the next year or two, should I find myself crossing this big wide land for the sake of a barbeque I'll be swinging by Sydney for sure.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Tue May 23, 2006 10:39 pm

Shame no time for Subaru stuff :(

I reckon you should soak it up while you can though - Canberra is an interesting and beautiful city, you'll like it so much more with a guide (like your mom).

If you've got an hour or so to spare on Saturday mid afternoon I'll be free too! Let me know when and where you'll be - I can pick you up if you like (won't have the Subaru with me though, you'll have to put up with the Merc).

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”