Trips around Canberra ?

mroberts

Trips around Canberra ?

Post by mroberts » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for some light off-roading / gravel to do some sightseeing with the wife around Canberra.

It's an L-series with taller springs at the front and rear, so not a crazy off-road beast, but shoudlbe able to handle gravel better than our Peugeot :)

Any tips on nice routes ? Been out to Uriarra forest (if you can call it that any more) with the Land Rover club, but that wasn't the most scenic and I don't think I coudl handle the "rollover drains".

Thanks

32ford

Post by 32ford » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:33 am

If you keep heading towards tumut then you come to forest that is not fire effected. I have taken the brumby to Mt Ginn and ended up in tumut there is lots of forest around Mt Ginn so you can stick to gravel roads or find tracks that consist of nothing more than two wheel ruts . Once you get to the bridge on the brindabella road it is pretty much highway but there is still forests to look at. there are also logged forests which look like the 'forests' around canberra. Tumut is very pretty once you get there, and it is the home of epic engineering.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:58 pm

the mineshaft is a must see and a must do. take Cotter Road to the Cotter reserve and keep going a few km towards the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve. When you've hit Murrays Corner picnic spot on the left, turn around and go round a left bend past disused regen quarry, right bend and then on your left turn in and the Mineshaft is within metres. !

Usual tourist scenery Red Hill lookout and Mt Ainslie

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”