Trip Report: Turon State Forest + Bridle Track

Sideways Subaru

Trip Report: Turon State Forest + Bridle Track

Post by Sideways Subaru » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:58 pm

Just thought i would post up some info on a trip i took last saturday...

Left Penrith about 7:30 on Sat morning and travelled to Lithgow via Bells Line of road and continued to Sunny Corner. From there had some fun in the state forest before heading through the Winburdale Nature reserve towards Sofala. All of this section was just 2wd but there was some good scenery and a few other 4 wheelers about too

Continuing through various properties continued north till about 6km out of Sofala we came across a beut camping ground along the Turon River. Plenty of grassy camp spots and a clean toilet!

From Sofala it was a quick trip to Hill End for lunch, before we headed off on the Bridle Track. It's along the first 25km stretch that there are prob 10 major camping grounds with toilets and plenty of grass + shade. There was even a few water crossings for the adventurous but didnt have time to check them out.

While not particularly challenging, the trip did require 4wd on about 3 occasions but nothing too serious. There was plenty of bush to go exploring through and while it only took a day, you could spend a whole weekend up there.

Hope you enjoyed,
Alex

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:35 pm

Hey Alex nice trip, thanks for posting the pics. Its nice country out there, looks drier than I remember though..

Last time I was there was in the VL, came down to the main river crossing at the Turon River down from Hillend. Was just after a lot of rain and the crossing would have been several meters under, water was rushing very fast.

There are heaps of good camping areas along the turnon, and being Gold country a good place to crack out the pan or a metal detector if your that lucky.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:36 pm

looks awesome over there :) good to see another trip report and pics up..cheers for sharing that with us dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

subalex

Post by subalex » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:06 pm

I've been out that way a few times with the Subie club and it's always been fun. Like you said though, pretty straight forward. A lot more of the bridle track has been paved over the last five years. What has made it more interesting has been a trip that continues on after stopping by Hill End and goes through to Orange. Some nice scenery and further creek crossings, as few hill climbs etc. I couldn't finish the trip that time but I heard about the trip leaders, in a Toyota Kluger ripping their plastic sump guard off a couple of times and copping a bit of a bashing. They've since moved on to a Jeep.

I was just thinking about taking a Saturday trip out there again.

Did you go via Blackfellow's Hand Road, from Clarence (the Zig Zag Railway) to get to the back end of Lithgow or did you drive the rest of Bells Line of Road and turn off then?
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

Sideways Subaru

Post by Sideways Subaru » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Na just went through lithgow onto the great western highway and turned off at Meadow Flat-just south of Sunny Corner. I've been to Blackfellow's hand etc a few times now tho but i find there's too many moto's. I think the treck from hill end to orange that u r talkin about is the one that goes to Orphir-haven't been out that way either but would love to take a weekend or somethin there cause there are some pretty beaut camping spots.

Alex

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:46 am

reminds me of jarrahdale..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:46 pm

it does doesnt it
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

dibs

right or wrong

Post by dibs » Mon May 21, 2007 3:59 pm

is that the trail that goes from vic to qld or am i wright calling it the national trail. i used to live at medow flat but was still in nappies so dont remember much of it. only driving through or around it now when i lived futher out when i had my lisence.

dibs

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:13 pm

Think I drove past this area the other day, love the sign :)
SUBYDAZZ

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”