The Next Meet

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:36 pm

It's more likely that I'll be able to attend for easter than anytime soon but still not making any promises, would love to come just have to wait and see how things turn out.

Jordan
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:48 pm

Stockton for Easter
yep that is a good time for it 8) was worried if it were 1st week of new year
there might only be standing room only :) so to speak.....

dwayneb

Post by dwayneb » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:26 am

Subaru club of Qld is heading down to Stockton for Easter also. Check the What's On section for more details (when the site gets its next update)
Back in a Subaru, 03 Forester XS:D

SubyDreams

Post by SubyDreams » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:35 pm

How many times did we get a laugh while pushing and pulling SUBYDAZZ out of trouble??? I do believe it was about 4!

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:38 pm

yeah the stockton is a great fun weekend...just wondering if anyone might be planning any trips that are more a expedition...

SubyDreams

Post by SubyDreams » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:45 pm

Are we going to start putting final details into this trip or what???

Last time we met at the twin servo's at Wyong at about 9am (i think). Shall we do the same this year?

What is the actual date of Easter and which day are we going?

Everyone needs to be prepared on the day to buy a temporary beach going licence at the servo near the beach too...Don't forget

It is a good idea to bring your own lunch. There are servo's and fish and chip shops but huge lines sometimes as well..

Everyone pitch in some ideas and lets get this trip organised... Is anyone still coming?

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:21 pm

If all goes to plan I'll be there.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

smoov

Post by smoov » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:25 am

i may come, but 99% not in a subaru.
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

subalex

Post by subalex » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:37 am

There are plenty of outings for those interested in the NSW Subaru and Recreational 4WD Club. I'm a member and I've got to say that it works out to be a great oppoortunity to show off my Subie against plenty of other makes and models. Not enough of the old school subies like we have though. At least one trip to choose from each weekend now and they're of varying difficulty to satify everyone's desire to be challenged. Watagans, Hill End camping, Jenolan Caves camping, Cape York, Red Center, Stockton etc.

As a regular reader of material on this forum I'm surprised to see so few owners in NSW getting involved in the Club that's here. Have you already tried it before?
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

smoov

Post by smoov » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:54 pm

i've been to one of the meets, and I must say, I was unimpressed with the lack of subarus in the club. sure, there are many members, with other makes and models, and they did seem to do a few trips, but I found this lack of loyalty to the make, to be rather disheartening.

perhaps if they took a stance more like the QLD Subaru 4WD club, then Im sure you'd (as a club) would attract more people to join and participate.

i've found organising meets with people on these forums (numbers now have dwindled, including myself for the time being :() to be more satisfying than having a subaru to non-subaru ratio of about 1:8.
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:05 pm

been to one of the meets yrs ago too, may have been more subes then...but being its sydney centric, a bit way too far away for me, besides some pple don't need clubs to be able to go places :roll: so it just didn't have much to offer.......

subalex

Post by subalex » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:39 pm

Believe me when I say I completely understand where you are coming from. I used to have an 02 Outback before selling it off and getting my cheapie but a much better offroader/fun car. As far as the club is concerned it's basically been a case of membership needs. Since Subie started making cars more expensive, complex and less out of the box offroad capable - hate to insult the Outback and Liberty owners - there was a big turn down of members. So the club became more diversified to survive and I hate how it's become less Subie oriented as a result too. Often I'm the only Sube driver there on trips. Most have owned one and moved on to bigger cars as the family grew but stayed on in the club. Those who tend to look down on the Subie never had one before and those who have moved on to bigger fourbies always look fondly at your car and glaze over, wishing they still had theirs.

I've done some pretty darn excellent hard trips lately and doing the same terrain as a 'cruiser, hilux or jeep (sometimes easier) is quite satifying, ... this side by side comparison is an excellent benefit of having the other brands there. Aside from that, there are really some good people to meet too. (I can hear you saying, "Put away the brochure, I'm not interested").

For those who have tried the club in recent years I can honestly say it's a LOT better organised and there are a LOT more trips available in different locations North, South and West of Sydney whether they be day, weekend or extended trips. However, as for the trips being arranged here on these forums... is it just me or is there a distinct lack of trips for us around Sydney anyway?? I feel I'm better off waiting for a good trip with the club. If I'm missing a thread for trips then let me know.

Subalex
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

smoov

Post by smoov » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:38 am

there now simply is a shortage of subaru owners that are willing to get together and go offroading. which is sad as all hell. perhaps if there were more people willing to go offroading (like the WA crew, or the QLD crew), I would ateof perhaps have kept my car as a hobby. Seeing that most people here in NSW are in the middle of their conversions, or whatever reason, the numbers are simply not there.

as for owning another L or MY: don't think i'll be going back yet. its one of those accomplishments that i'll be putting into my "been there done that" basket.
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:43 pm

still its amazingly disappointing that your having trouble getting subaru members in sydney, I mean, every where you look these days...theres a subaru...they seem to be getting more common than commodors :P
But it seems the majority of people want to keep their cars in pristine condition etc,etc..which after a short time I believe is impossible if your into off-roading.
as for the trips being arranged here on these forums... i
it doesn't happen :)
sometimes it just happens that a bunch of us decide to be at the same place same time sort of thing, but every one is responsible for themselves.
smoov wrote:there now simply is a shortage of subaru owners that are willing to get together and go offroading. which is sad as all hell.
hmm yeah, maybe we should post any intentions in off chance others want to come along
:?
I find Overlander forum excellent place to research places to go, its a damn cool forum. when my new tyres turn up, will be looking for testing them somewhere....probably fire trails west of Nowra...theres plenty there.

subalex

Post by subalex » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:53 pm

You're right about the new owners not wanting to foul up their new Subies and who can blame them, really. I was one of them for a couple of years.. from leather seats, twin sunroofs, power and touch button everything to vinyl everything for ease of cleaning, minimal electrics, modified everything - most importantly no paint to keep touching-up on those bumpers.

Yes, also, there ARE Subarus everywhere too, new and old models. Just not the culture, I guess those into 4WDing have the dosh to get into something bigger and bigger is better for showing off down her in Sydney. If I see one more oversized %$## on wheels I'm gonna have to trundle my L-series under their axles and move them off to the nearest cliff and...

:lol:

Let's know who's where in NSW on this forum. It's a big state so who's within reach of Sydney for a trip, who's in the West, North, Mid Coast etc. I know of plenty of tracks from Anna Bay to Menai (South Sydney) to Lithgow and Orange.

simmo

Post by simmo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:26 am

i live about 20 minutes from menai so i'd love to hear about those tracks :D

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:23 am

When driving south along Heathcote Rd look to the left near the quarry... Can't miss them.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:36 am

simmo wrote:i live about 20 minutes from menai so i'd love to hear about those tracks :D
from what I hear you need permissions to be there ? maybe one of those things where being in a club helps ?
Also I hear even big 4wds need to be modded to negotiate tracks there ?...
anyway I haven't been there, and if someone wants to "show the ropes" I'm willing to go :P and its not too far for me either!
Also I don't think there is much to see there other than the challenge of the tracks :roll: if its legal or whatevr......

simmo

Post by simmo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:30 am

yeh i sorta know the area.. its near where the moto riders go, near the tip? hopefully there are some easy tracks seein as my brumby doesn't have a lift kit and the back is as low as the torsion beam will allow :oops: . but any way im goin to go an have a look tomorrow for them. peejay do you know if they are private property?

smoov

Post by smoov » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:30 pm

can't say that i've been there, but i have heard that it does get very very heavy going there. (possibly subaru UNFRIENDLY)

let me know if anyone is keen on going along there for a lookysee. im about 40 minutes from there.

fred - i have heard very similar things - police on trailbikes patrol the area, and apparently you do need to be a part of a 4wd club that is active with the maintenance of the place (ie participate with local, club run 'clean up days' etc etc). else you'd be harassed by the police. (i dont know what the consequences would be, never been caught yet) *knocks on wood*
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”