Watagans Trip

subalex

Watagans Trip

Post by subalex » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:35 pm

One good trip deserves another I say. This Sunday I'm going to tag along with the NSW Subaru and Recreational 4WD Club on a trip through the Watagans. I'll get some more details and post them here or you can go to their website http://www.subaruclub.com.au/cms/index.php to find out more. If you aren't a member (I am) then you can attend as a guest.

It would be great to see some more Subie's there since many of the members have changed to another brand as their family grows. The trip leader will have his Forester XT so I'll ask him about whether it will be Outback friendly.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

subalex

Post by subalex » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:48 pm

Trip is Outback friendly except one part that "may" require some care to avoid a scrape. Meeting at Thornleigh Maccas at 8:30am Sunday.

The last couple of days has seen me become too tired to do this relatively long day trip with the two young boys in the back and my L still needs to have a vibration problem sorted out so I won't be going this time (dang!).
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:37 am

Watagans wouldn't be just a "day" trip for me anyways...I see next weekend the clubs heading to Yalwal, well thats more closer for me, for a day trip anyways, I may meet up with that......but I'm scheduled for out-of-hours support - work, which I'll see if I can rearrange, but its tight atm.

Your vibration problem, if you'v had all your wheels balanced, then some its some driveline problem? You know you can disconnect the tail shaft to the rear diff and try FWD and see if theres still vibration.

subalex

Post by subalex » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:57 pm

Yes, I could try swapping the tailshaft over for that of my spare parts car. I've thought about that one too. Again comes the question of why the shuddering is inconsistent. If the tailshaft was out of balance then it would rear its ugly head all the time. Just quickly on removing the tailshaft... doing that allows all the gearbox fluid to run out unless you tightly fit a cut up aluminium can to cover the output shaft.

I truly appreciate the suggestions though. I'll get the discs machined and have the caliper mechanism checked... if the calipers are loose or not returning properly then they could cause this problem and exaserbate any issues of a warped disc from going through a splash of water.

Having missed the trip to the Watagans I still took my boys to a much closed location of Wheeny Creek (same trip as I took Smokey and Sideways) and we had a ball walking around some tracks and then having a dip in the creek. I might make this a regular trip for us since it's only around 40 -50 minutes away. I was looking more at those many other 4WD tracks nearby there for an adventure soon. Just have a look at the Subaru Clubs gallery photos taken there just recently - full on for a bunch of Subies to try I think. There's heaps of tracks... doesn't need to be as hard as that one........yet.

Yalwal... haven't been there yet and I'd like to try it but my family is heading further south for a week on a farm so I'll miss that one. (Subie isn't even coming along for this trip and it's full of 4WD tracks through the place.)

Have a go at that one... say hello to Troy and Sandi (in the white XT Forester) for me.

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:40 pm

I could be wrong, but can't you remove the centre-section of the tailshaft and leave the front bit still in?
SUBYDAZZ

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:01 am

SUBYDAZZ wrote:I could be wrong, but can't you remove the centre-section of the tailshaft and leave the front bit still in?
u COULD be wrong :p but ur not

u can do that. take it out from jsut after the Centre Bearing to the Yoke on the diff. (4 bolts each side)
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Return to “New South Wales and ACT”