Queen's Birthday Long weekend 4wd

El_Freddo
Master Member

Queen's Birthday Long weekend 4wd

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 11, 2009 11:07 am

G'day everyone!

This coming long weekend I'm planning a 3 day 4wd session with some camping on the back hill at my pero's joint and possibly a night out in the forest somewhere (TBA). Friday night camp out is welcomed, if this is not something you can do we can meet up saturday morning and go from there.

We may be lucky enough to have some SA members over to join us for this trip.

Places to visit:
- The recent Lerderderg Forest areas
- Cobaw forest
- and if we get really bored there's some areas up near benders that would be good to check out.

Please let me know if you're in for camping or not. Day trippers welcome ;) (will need to organise a meet point)

BYO:
- tent
- food
- cooking utensils/stove if not using fire
- cleaning gear
- 10L or so of water for drinking etc
- if you could manage a few bits of wood it would be greatly appriecated

For 4wd'n you'll need:
- your usual recovery gear - gloves/D shackles/snatch strap etc
- enough fuel
- no need for lift or AT's, I'm running on stock everything in the L.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me or post them here.

I'm looking forward to see you all there.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Is there any interest in this???

Bennie

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu May 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Hey, I'm coming.. 99% sure anyhow.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Phizinza wrote:Hey, I'm coming.. 99% sure anyhow.
Hehehe... thanks Phiz! I knew that. I was targeting victorian members. Either way, if you and acoustics are here I'll be having fun ;)

:D

Bennie

openflame06

Post by openflame06 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:30 pm

so where abouts is this actually? where is the nearest major town

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 14, 2009 7:48 pm

openflame06 wrote:so where abouts is this actually? where is the nearest major town
Nearest major towns:

The Lerderderg trip: Baccus Marsh. We'll probabily end up closer to Trentham/Blackwood by the end of the day - an easy road back to the western freeway.

Cobaw area: Lancefield.

Bendigo area, well, Bendigo (aka Benders). There's a few different places in this area, some close to town others a little bit out - like Mt Sugarloaf which is close to Axedale.

So there's a few areas to look at, most will take about a day each. Depending on how much fun we're having in each area will most likely depend on how long we spend there.

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun May 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Count me in for this one not sure if it will be a day tripper or overnight, hoperfully will be an overnighter:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 18, 2009 4:06 pm

subaruby wrote:Count me in for this one not sure if it will be a day tripper or overnight, hoperfully will be an overnighter:)
Sweet! Keep us posted as to what its going to be ;)

Also, I'm thinking we do it in this order:

Saturday: Lerderderg area (possible camp out - need to find a spot)
Sunday: If camped out, finish up here and move over to the Cobaw area
Monday: Cobaw/Bendigo area if board in the cobaw area ;)

I need to do some track reckie's in the Lerderderg area again so I have a better knowledge of the area. I'll be looking into maps too ;)

That's it for now!

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 am

For those who need 'em the dates are June 6-8, unless you go on friday then it'll be 5-8.

Myself and my girlfriend hope to make it, it would be great to meet you guys and put faces to names. Depending on cash and time between now and then, it is possible that Scubs will be all modified and ready to rock. The current tires are shit in the wet, so if its raining and the mods aren't finished then I doubt we'll come, but fingers crossed!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Sounds good ScubyRoo, keep us posted! I'll be hoping that it either a) doesn't rain or b) it rains and you've got your kit in by then ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Brrrummmbeee

Post by Brrrummmbeee » Fri May 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Date time and meeting point at B Marsh? If I'm around I'm in, also may have a couple others join in.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 24, 2009 10:42 am

Brrrummmbeee wrote:Date time and meeting point at B Marsh? If I'm around I'm in, also may have a couple others join in.
I'll organise that closer to the date, it'll probabily be same time same place again, that seemed to work alright last time ;)

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sat May 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Hey Bennie, what's the latest with this trip? Trying to organise my long weekend and would like some details. Also, check your pm inbox re maps.

Cheers,
Owen.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 30, 2009 10:20 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:Hey Bennie, what's the latest with this trip? Trying to organise my long weekend and would like some details. Also, check your pm inbox re maps.
Owen, I'll send you an email once I'm done here.

Okay, so the plan - with out having done a reckie (shouldn't need to, all areas have been checked out before with exception to any 'exploring' we get up to in the Wombat forest).

Friday night I'm meeting up with Phiz and Acoustics (later) and camping at my pero's joint on the back hill. If you want to join us send me a PM and I'll send you details on how to get to the farm.

Saturday - 4wd'n in the Lerderderg State Forest later moving over to the Wombat State Forest. Camp out near river in the Wombat State Forest, depending on numbers/weather as the site is smallish and the river may peak quickly, a risk I don't want to take if there is going to be rain. Back up Camp site will be the back hill about 30/40 min drive from this area. If you want to join up with us from the start of this day Meet at Baccus Marsh IGA at 9am, this supermarket is in the Gisbourne direction when coming from the Freeway.

Sunday - If still in the Wombat we'll do the powerline track (hopefully its a little damp for a bit of fun) then move over to the Cobaw Forest just behind the Pero's joint. If we're already on the back hill we'll go from there. Spend the day here on different tracks of various difficulties. Camp on back hill. For those who want to join us on this day it will be a little more difficult, send me a PM and I'll work something out (anyone able to access the net from their mobile? We might be able to post a message here stating where we are and where to meet on Monday morning...)

Monday - I'm keen to head up to Bendigo (a bit over an hour's drive from the hill) if we're done with the Cobaw Forest. Otherwise we can stick around there for some play. There are a few good spots I'd like to take you to, including the Epsom 4wd area - a good spot to play around in to get to know you're 4wd's capabilities (if you haven't worked them out already).

Hope this answers some questions, if there are any more I'm keen to answer them for you.

So, can I please have a show of who's coming, what day and for how long (those who know that they will be there)... Just so I know how many to expect - numbers will depend on campsite on the back hill ;)

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun May 31, 2009 6:12 pm

Count me in but unfortunately will only be for the saturday,

Cannot wait
:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sun May 31, 2009 6:12 pm

Myself and two passengers will join you for saturday and sunday :)

Any idea how much fuel we'll need? Spots to fill up on the way?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 31, 2009 9:12 pm

subaruby wrote:Count me in but unfortunately will only be for the saturday:D
I'm guessing that means we'll be meeting you at the IGA at 9am... See you there!
ScubyRoo wrote:Any idea how much fuel we'll need? Spots to fill up on the way?
Baccus Marsh will be the last spot on saturday for the 4wd aspect of the day (right at the start). On the way to Cobaw there's a fuel station at Woodend which we'll be passing through, and one in Tylden that I've never stopped at for fuel - I've heard some nasty things about the tanks at that joint...

You should be right for the two days on a full tank. If we do cover a lot of ground in low range we may need to top up before we get to Cobaw, we'll deal with this as we go - its very dependant on a lot of factors. For the Lerderderg area, if you have a full tank you'll easily do the day with fuel left over from my previous experience.

I'm hoping to re-fill in Bendigo, its usually a pretty good price and has the coles/woolies servos so bring dockets for those who will be there that day. If we need fuel before then, Lancefield is a 5 minute drive (from the pero's joint) with ok prices; Romesy is a 15 minute drive and usually has better prices... We'll work that out as we go.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Weather forecasts...

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:14 pm

G'day all,

I've just had a look at the latest weather chart for the next four days. Select "4-day forecast chart". I prefer black and white, written forcasts can be found in the victorian regions - we're sort split between Central, North Central and a little bit on the Western District. You may need to refresh the page for the current forecast.

So as it stands they reckon we're in for some light rain for the rest of the week til friday at this stage - that's all they've got up there at the moment...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:13 am

Subaruby and Brrrummmbeee: Can you remember any of the track names that Lorry took us on? I've got a few maps but most of them cut off in that area - Subaruby could you please bring the maps you had last time with you on saturday?

In other news I'm super excited but a bit nervous about my heater core - it went bust when the thermostat died the other week, I've got it out and the unit to go in isn't so flash and I want to get it checked out. If I can't do that I'll shove the new unit in and hope for the best, worst comes to worse I can divert the heater core again.

So far as most of you know it been pretty wet this week, I'm yet to call the ranger in regards to the track closures - It'll be done tomorrow, I'm getting the number off the Parks Victoria website.

That's all for now. I wish the SA boys a safe and enjoyable trip over, I'll see you Friday arvo/night.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Okay, just a note to say that my final check of the forum will be near 5pm friday arvo - that's tomorrow from the date of this post. If you have any last questions, now would be the time to post/PM me.

In other news I've got a heater core sorted, its a second hand unit and will be temporary - until the new all copper/brass one arrives (at $220 a pop - my 3 core radiator cost $450 to be fab'd up...). I'm off now to put Ruby Scoo back together.

And I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Victoria”