Mt Hotham Snow Trip Report: 28th June - 30 June ***Dial up warning***

El_Freddo
Master Member

Mt Hotham Snow Trip Report: 28th June - 30 June ***Dial up warning***

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey all,

Well, I am lucky enough to have a brother who works in the snow region. Last weekend my Gf and I dropping in on him for a quick weekend away - plus my Gf has never seen hotham without snow, there was a light dusting when we arrived:

The bit of snow I could get Ruby Scoo on to :D

We arrived late saturday night, the drive up the mt was good and clear, a mate had warned us about black ice in sections but we didn't find any, thankfully.

While we were up there I was keen to get some pics of Ruby Scoo and Mt Feathertop, here are a few of the "choice" pics:

And with me doing my best "no neck" impersonation:

And this is Ruby Scoo hanging out with other subi mates in the staff car park:

I would say that the majority of cars in this park were subarus :twisted: There's something about them...

So, that was the last of the car for a bit. Sunday nite we had Parma's - lovely, then off to the pub for a quick drink before heading off home for the night. We didn't really know anyone at the pub except my bro and a good friend of ours - both are social butterflies.

The next day we woke up to a really windy day that soon turned in to a windy snowing day. The road in the first pick was bare as you can see, when we left there was probabily 10cm covering it, the ground vegetation was almost covered too. Here's a few things we got up to while enjoying the snow:

Found evidence of "big foot":

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Checked out some other snow subi's:

Tooks some "artistic shots" that I enjoy taking - its a photojournalism thing from uni that i've found and love:

The image quality in the above pic is not fantastic - I'm only using a generic Kodak digital camera without all the fancy functions - at least it allows me to show you what I have seen up there (otherwise no trip report ;))

We then got back to Ruby Scoo at Whiskey Flat Staff Park - minus a friend and a few degrees in temprature...

Its not often that I get to see my car like this - so scroll through if your over a snow covered ruby scoo already:

With flash to show the snow falling:

No flash of same image:

Its amazing how the snow sticks to the glass but not the side panels of the car... even when we had cleared the glass it came back just as quick to set a base for the start of layering again...

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:47 pm

Choice Pics El Freddo Especially The "artistic"
Well Done
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:48 pm

El Freddo and Ruby Scoo in the snow!

Love the white look 8)

Waiting for the car to warm up:

On the road - found this sign that I thought a little ironic considering the "situation":

Again, with flash to show how much snow was falling:

No flash, same sign and view:

Ruby Scoo out and about:

The snow ploughs had been over this section at least once. It was amazing to see the area go from a small dusting of snow to almost complete covering!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:59 pm

Coming up to the main day carpark with no chains on the rear let go. I rode it out til we stopped sliding as there was nothing to hit or fall off. I learned here that to get out of the slide put a little bit of throttle down very lightly and the front end will pull the rear back in after a bit of drift. As much as I wanted to go nuts on some circle work I resisted.

The snow chain sign went from "chains should be fitted, engaged 4wd excepted" to "chains must be fitted including 4wds" pretty quickly. Which was interesting cos not even some of the bus companies up there had their chains on, the local 4wd cop car cruising around didn't have chains on...

I fitted the chains and took this pic before taking them off, I'm kinda spewing I didn't get a whole car pic now...

The drive down off the mount was awesome! I've never driven in the snow so took it easy. My Gf took a movie with no sound of 16 minutes - the drive from near town to the point we took the chains off - just past the dargo road. From here there was still thick icy snow on the road but only for a few hundred metres before we hit slush just near the ticket box. I'm glad we drove down before dark too - word had it that if the snow kept up into the night the road would've been closed. Kinda wished we waited longer but also glad we didn't.

I found out my rear demister still doesn't work and we had a little issue with a clip from the left windscreen wiper going AWOL... sqeeeeeaaaaaak! sqeeeeeaaaakkk!... you get the picture. These were the only issues with getting off the mount. And my 3 core radiator didn't "freeze" the motor like I thought it would.

Overall it was a great weekend, highlight would have to be seeing that amount of snow fall in such a short time! And driving in it... awesome fun!

Hope you all enjoyed the pics, I thought there were more to display, hope you got your "quota" though.

Can't wait to get back to the snow (or go 4wd'n again).

Cheers

Bennie

timmo

Post by timmo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:20 pm

bet your lifters were protesting starting up in that freezing climate! although its only 50mins up the road from me;). They love L series at hotham eh - biggest concentration in the country i reckon I always get stuck behind the gutless carbyd ones!
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

nudge

Post by nudge » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:38 pm

Great pics, looked like good snow fall!!!

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:33 pm

awesome mate. i have always wanted to drive my car in heavy snow like that. I always seem to be in someone elses car when it dumps!!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:08 pm

timmo wrote:its only 50mins up the road from me;). They love L series at hotham eh - biggest concentration in the country i reckon I always get stuck behind the gutless carbyd ones!
Lucky bugger! Yeah, the stuck behind the gutless carbie ones - only I was the gutless carbie one! Any high country area is subaru L series mecca.
timmo wrote:bet your lifters were protesting starting up in that freezing climate!
Actually the biggest worry was starting it - need to flood the carbie to get it started, very frustrating. The lifters didn't say much at all for once!

We were lucky to be up in that region when there was a heavy dump - never seen anything like it so was quite exciting.

Cheers

Bennie

LTurbo

Post by LTurbo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Yeah, nice dumps of snow you bloody Victorians are getting :mrgreen: . We have hardily any up at Kosi at the moment.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:23 pm

good shit! loads of snow! im going there this week. hello!

super pics Bennie, love ruby covered in snow, looks siik.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Return to “Victoria”