Trip Report: Lerderderg and Wombat Forest 4wd Session, 18APR09 ***Dial up warning***

El_Freddo
Master Member

Trip Report: Lerderderg and Wombat Forest 4wd Session, 18APR09 ***Dial up warning***

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:14 am

G'day all!

Well it was a small turn out - Subaruby, Brrrummmbeee + mate and myself: Meet up at IGA:

I had my new camera out to give it a good test - I'm a little disappointed with the sound quality of video recordings but anyway:

We headed north east out of Baccus Marsh to the Lerderderg Rd, along Cameron Rd and into the Lerderderg State Park. First off we checked out the old quarry where we found one good short climb that we did a few times. I got a few videos of this but no photos...

After this we headed off to Blue Gum Tk and shortly after turned onto Holts road, this was a fairly easy track, a 2 wheel drive could have done it down to the valley and dry creek crossing. This area was a bit of fun with a challenging climb to start a longer climb up Nuggerty Tk back onto Blue Gum Tk:

At the base of Nuggerty Tk:

Subaruby climbing a section of Nuggerty Tk:

^ Once again, the images don't really depict the slope very well...

We shuttled along Blue Gum Tk to Radcliffe Tk that then followed onto fire break tk 1, this had an interesting crossing of the river in the valley, it would've been more interesting to cross if the river was flowing:

The group on the river bed:

The mud puddle in the middle of the river bed:

Brrrummmbeee and his mate checked the depth of the water and the firmness of the mud at the bottom, all checked out relatively ok. Brrrummmbeee went first and got through ok. I thought I'd transverse the ruts for a bit of fun but came in too slow and stopped in my tracks (on my roadies). I actually stuck my head out the window to make sure the wheels where still turning!
At this point it looked like a snatch was needed - I had a go at cradling/rocking back and forth - once I got some movement it was easy to gain momentum after some spraying of dirty water, Ruby Scoo actually made it out without any trouble in the end:

More to come...
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:16 am

This fire break tk took us up to the main track that draws the line between the Wombat forest and the Lerderderg forest - Firth Rd. Subaruby showed off his lift:

We had a bit of a play in some muddy ruts we found near the carpark before having lunch at the bottom of Digger's Tk:

I dropped in on O'Brien's Crossing ;) There was a largish camp of people there with a decent setup. And there was two little pools of water there, my bad.

From here Brrrummmbeee's mate took the lead over to the wombat to an area that he'd taken some new 4wd's out for a few demo runs. Apparently it wasn't as fun due to the lack of moisture around but it was still a good area to get to know your subi and pick different lines to everyone else. Brrrummmbeee hadn't been 4wd'n before today yet he managed to negoicate these tracks with the help of his mate (who has various 4wd experience). I took several videos from my sun visor position but unfortunatly I managed to cover the lense :oops:

We then headed over towards the powerline track I wanted to check out, we did a few different tracks along the way:

Easter Monday Track was one to note for next time:

From here we went and did another dry river crossing. Subaruby and I went for the same line as each-other:

More to come... pack a lunch, we did!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:17 am

Brrrummmbeee had ideas of his own on the crossing but decided to take the same that we did. Unfortunatly he was unsuccessful at this attempt due to the nortourious open diffs free wheeling on opposite diagonal wheels. Brrrummmbeee went for his original plan and nailed it with very little hastle - a good effort for someone who had not 4 wheeled before today!

After leaving this area I got a flat - seems that I knocked a tyre off the bead as its now back on the subi without a problem... I don't have a photo of this but Brrrummmbeee and Subaruby do. Its becoming a tradition for me to have a flat whenever I go 4wd'n with Subaruby - I put a rock through the side wall of a new roadie two years ago with Subaruby out at Heathcote...

After that was sorted we checked out the powerline track some locals told me about, here are some pics:

^ A bit of water on this and you'd have yourself quite a challenge on your hands!

And here's a photo of my trip home to cap off an awesome day out in a new area:

- I'm sure there'll be more trips out to the Wombat and Lerderderg areas, we've only just touched the tip of the ice berg so to speak.

Hope you packed a lunch for this read and still enjoyed it if you didn't!

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:52 am

oh man i missed out the fun!!! it would have been a great day out there hey!!!
Sounds like you had fun!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:36 pm

A big thanks to El_freddo for organising this trip, and Brumbee and is mate for coming.
Was a great day with a nice mix of tracks and good company and conversation which made for lots of fun.
Can't weight to get out there again, maybe when its a little wetter.

El_freddo at the quarry

Brumbee at the quarry

El_freddo at the start of nuggerty tk

Brumbee at the start of nuggerty tk

Brumbee in the mud

El_freddo in the mud

El_freddo getting out of the mud

We all made it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Just a few more pics to add to El_fredos trip report

Loving the lift :D

Brumbee "resting" half way through a dry creek crossing!

Notice the rear tyre

Bugger!

The powerline tracks

Thanks again for a great day:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Looks like a great place for an explore/play.
Thanks for the pix.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Looks great - too bad I missed it.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Thanks for your replies - and thanks Subaruby for your pics! Its great to see another perspective on the whole thing. I hope Brrrummmbeee gets the posting issues sorted, would be good to hear/see his feedback/pics...

And it looks like that tyre was going down heaps earlier than first thought... Its now back on the car after re-inflating to 36 psi, hasn't missed a beat yet...

Subaruby, I still have that vibration we talked about, I've washed all the mud off the wheels so its got me wondering about the front left and the counter weights, will have to check it out later.

Anyway, take care all... I hope to be sorting out another trip later, I'm off for a few days without internet or mobile contact :rolleyes: Wait for that trip report ;) :D

Cheers!

Bennie

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:50 pm

looks like a fun day. good stuff

Brrrummmbeee

Post by Brrrummmbeee » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks El Freddo for organizing this – I learnt a bit about 4WD~ing and the surprising capabilities of the 2 wagons and the Brumby.

To add to the trip I have these few pics.
The Practice (warm –up) limbering exercise.

… now that’s done and dusted let’s drive…

Picture doesn’t do this justice, my legs are still shakin’…

Well that wet the appetite, the 4WD~ing continues…

Many interesting tracks here, which one’s next..

Thanks El Freddo and Subaruby for having us tag along. I can see this becoming quite addictive.
The Brumby put on a few kilos of mud along the way - split the exhaust (below the gearbox).
At the pit we discovered the gearbox mounts were clean split on the LHS and coming apart on the RHS but probably like this prior to the drive – new ones go in this weekend.

LP

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Brrrummmbeee wrote:Thanks El Freddo for organizing this – I learnt a bit about 4WD~ing and the surprising capabilities of the 2 wagons and the Brumby.

To add to the trip I have these few pics.
The Practice (warm –up) limbering exercise.

… now that’s done and dusted let’s drive…

Picture doesn’t do this justice, my legs are still shakin’…

Well that wet the appetite, the 4WD~ing continues…

Many interesting tracks here, which one’s next..

Thanks El Freddo and Subaruby for having us tag along. I can see this becoming quite addictive.
The Brumby put on a few kilos of mud along the way - split the exhaust (below the gearbox).
At the pit we discovered the gearbox mounts were clean split on the LHS and coming apart on the RHS but probably like this prior to the drive – new ones go in this weekend.

LP
G'day LP,
Welcome to this forum! I think I've seen your Brumby going around (by telling of El Freddo's pictures) in Bacchus Marsh area (I'm regularly in BM area as my wife's parents lives in Greendale) anyway... Was your pictures was meant to show up on here?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Brrrummmbeee

Post by Brrrummmbeee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:58 am

Thanks AP! I still have L plates not only for the 4WD~ing, but also with forums.
I live in the Marsh and use the brumby as the mtb carrier on weekends. PM me when you're about next time.
LP

Return to “Victoria”