A road cruise feeler

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Anywhere I go is a long trip just to get there! Last year's cruise was a two hour drive to get to the start, I think we spent more time driving there than we did on the cruise! Good time though.

So I'm going to set the date as Saturday the 5th of December. Route TBA - I'll have to organise that later, hopefully I'll be able to squeeze it in somewhere. I'll keep an eye out for a 4wd loop that can be done - GT, we can leave road going subis in one spot and all jump in the 4wd'n ones or call the day and part company, I'll sort something out either way.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brrrummmbeee

Post by Brrrummmbeee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:31 pm

Good to see this has been revived. I will try to make it for the 5th!

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm free on the 5th so I'll be in on this. Any ideas how far down the GOR you are planning to go (either time wise or distance). I can head down next week to look for some 4wd tracks, just need a starting point?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:09 pm

go down the forest road before the hill into Anglesea that is a right turn of hwy then turn lift down the power line track till u hit camp road then tack number 2 road to airyes inlet and back on to GOR .
i know this place very well as i grow up down there.23years
some good tracks to get on .

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:38 pm

I was thinking of starting somewhere in Torquay - I haven't been there in a while and would like to steer clear of a meet up at macca's, but If we can't find anywhere else I guess that could be the spot... Or we could meet at the Bell's beach car park :D

Dunno how far down the GOR we'd make it - gotta remember that people will have to travel home later in the day if they're not staying out over night... Any suggestions Subaruby? I'd like to join you on a trip down there to scout it out, but I'm very tight on time from now on, but might be able to do wednesday or friday next week if you're available.

Phil, thanks for the tip, I'll try and get out that way to check it out ;)

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:14 pm

For the meet point I'd suggest the beach front at Torquay, at the first set of lights coming into Torquay turn left and go straight down to the beach.

For the road cruise I would suggest aiming for wye river, depending on your start time and the number of stops along the way. Wye river gives you a few options to head inland on some 4wd tracks.

From Torquay to wye river whereis.com states about an hour. This does not allow for slow traffic nor lots of stops. For the photographers you will probably want to take lots of stops!

Well thats my suggestions, all depends on the "road" to "offroad" balance that you want to achieve.
I'd like to join you on a trip down there to scout it out, but I'm very tight on time from now on, but might be able to do wednesday or friday next week if you're available.
El_Freddo, Friday not good for me, was thinking Thursday, but may be able to do a Wednesday. Wouldn't worry too much about the recce if you are pressed for time, I have a good map of the area and on the 5th we can all just do some "exploring"
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:34 pm

subaruby wrote: El_Freddo, Friday not good for me, was thinking Thursday, but may be able to do a Wednesday. Wouldn't worry too much about the recce if you are pressed for time, I have a good map of the area and on the 5th we can all just do some "exploring"
That's all good! It's a pretty simple road to follow. Your suggestions on meet up point etc sound good to me. 8am a good time to meet up?

Would you be keen to lead the cruise? I've only driven down it once or twice and that was a few years back... I guess we could have a chat about the plan on the day for the photographers - I'm just happy to cruise with a bunch of subi nuts!

The biggest thing to work out is the lunch stop. If the 4wders head offroad the blacktop huggers might like to continue down further before heading back to the meet for lunch. Would also need a relatively easy 4wd track, not like the stuff behind my joint in the cobaws!

That's my thinking anyway - I really wish I had more time to organise this thing!

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Ok lets see if we can get something organised, I will be heading down Thursday to check things out.

We will make the meet point Torquay at maybe 8am or 9am (confirm later), lunch will be a BBQ at a location to be decided.

If we could have a list of people who will attend and wether it will be onroad only or offroad as well?

The offroad wont be extreme just a look around the Otways.

Please post up any suggestions and we will put them all together and make a great day out.
Suspension lift.

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:55 pm

subaruby wrote:If we could have a list of people who will attend and wether it will be onroad only or offroad as well?
About a month away now... I can say I'll be there!
subaruby wrote:The offroad wont be extreme just a look around the Otways.
This will actually be good for me since, as much as I would like to, I don't think I'll have more appropriate tyres sorted out by then. We'll see...

Cheers,
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks subaruby for "taking the reins" on this one! My week just got busier, I've only just got home from the cup! Now I'm booked SOLID up till the cruise... after that its all open :???:

I'll put my hand up to be there. Self cater or pool some money and do a group buy on the day?

I'll probabily be unable to check the forums again until the 22nd of November due to being OS, I'll try to look over just before I leave (and post about it briefly ;))

I'm really looking forward to this!

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Do we have anymore takers for the GOR cruise .............

[attach]1713[/attach]

Nice winding road and some dirt tracks for a bit of rally style.

[attach]1714[/attach]

If anyone is interested we can do some more offroad, it will be flexible.
Attachments
GOR-3.jpg
GOR-3.jpg (58.06 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
GOR-1.jpg
GOR-1.jpg (33.31 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:27 am

Looking good there Subaruby! Those pics have got me excited... Maybe we could sort out the longer dirt section on the day... Just a thought.

I really need some replacement shocks on the rear, I'm hoping to get these the weekend before we head off.

America = no luck on the card tables, and no XT6 parts :(

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:08 am

Just a reminder that this trip is only a week away.

If we get a confirmation of attendence from all those who have shown interest in this trip.

For those that haven't shown interest, everyone is welcome, just post up and let us know.

Any questions, just post em up.

Hope to see you there.
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:23 pm

I'll be there! And I've got some second hand shocks on the rear so its not bouncing around all over the place :D

Can we get a "final details" post with meet point, time etc?

Cheers

Bennie

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:47 pm

I got a short in the stop light/dome light circuit. I will come if I manage to fix it before the day.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm in. I'll even come along for the recce if you guys decide to do one. It would definitely be better than doing this thesis for uni.

There are a lot of good roads to cover down that way so i would prefer the 8am start on saturday!

I found this description of an inland trek from aireys inlent to wye river. http://www.australiaadventures.com/otwayranges.htm If we did this trek we would split up (off-road and on-roaders) at aireys inlet, meet up again at wye river, and then i would suggest driving on to apollo bay for lunch. Apollo bay is definitely the best lunch spot once you get past lorne. I'm guessing by the time we lunch in apollo bay and start heading back we should all be home by 4 or 5 pm, depending on where home is. If we're ahead of schedule after lunch then i know of some good tracks behind kennet river we could do as well.

Cheers,
Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:16 pm

Ok we have a start location and time.

Torquay at 8am Saturday morning.

The Meet Point.

Turn left at the first set of traffic lights when you come into Torquay, follow the road straight down to the beachfront and then you will the meet point. Turn right then left into the gravel carpark.

(ps dont get confused with the new set of traffic lights before you get into Torquay, but you cant actually turn left at these anyway)

I think we should use the meet point to see how many onroaders and offroaders we have and then use peoples ideas for a suitable cruise.

Some suby fans I met last time

I also realised I posted the wrong pic of the nice fast gravel roads in my earlier post. The correct pic.

Suspension lift.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:47 pm

The meet point is Fishermans Beach ;)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:02 pm

subaruby wrote:Some suby fans I met last time

I also realised I posted the wrong pic of the nice fast gravel roads in my earlier post. The correct pic.

Nice Mate! Looks like you had a good reckie!

I'm looking forward to the cruise! I've also found out that the EJ allows me to take corners sideways in 4wd with the help of a 'scandinavian flick'. I'm still perfecting the technique but its a start :twisted:

I'll see you all there ;)

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:59 am

Well I don't know how many are coming but I'm pumped!

I'm about to finish up here, wipe down Ruby Scoo and head off... I'll see you all soon ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Victoria”