South Oz Robe Trip plan...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:56 am

Phizinza wrote:My car is pretty set for this, and I've just had a birthday so my camping gear is actually looking like a survivable setup! My brother may be coming along with me. And also sagey is coming in the L. I am really keen for this!
Meeee tooooo!

And the way things are going it looks like Ruby Scoo will be well in her prime by then!

As for your offroadingsubarus.com/forum question about camping: There are a couple of caravan parks around town but we'll have to book very soon if not yesterday. Other spots include a couple of camping sites in the dunes but I reckon these will be packed too. On or behind the beach maybe?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Unfortunately going to have to give this one a miss, I cannot convince anyone at work that my holidays are more important than theirs.

I'm sure it will be a great trip and I hope to be on the next one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:22 pm

subaruby wrote:Unfortunately going to have to give this one a miss, I cannot convince anyone at work that my holidays are more important than theirs.
Keep trying mate - you just never know! I'm hoping you can make it out there, I reckon you'd love it! And I'd hope that Subaruby doesn't instantly rust once on the beach :P

I'm now in the process of giving ruby scoo a good going over due to some cam idler issues from "the puddle incident" back in early november with Rhys.

Cheers

Bennie

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:14 pm

i'll give the caravan parks a ring on the 27th but i bet they are already booked out. I'll also have a search for other camping spots. Lucky me, i can camp where ever my car can park!
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Hazey

Post by Hazey » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:04 pm

I didn't win the canopy on eBay :(

I was, however blessed with a nice assortment of camping gear for Christmas, including one of those good quality eskies that's meant to keep ice solid for up to a week. Could be a sign for me to still go, perhaps?

Once I've got tyres and an alignment done I shall reassess the situation one last time.

Hazey

Post by Hazey » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:17 pm

Aaaaaand now the alternator's decided to go on strike. Love it when gremlins come to do some work on the Brumby!

On the plus side, my charging system will now be well up to the task... And if I can find the right guts to put in it my stereo install can go ahead :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Hazey wrote:Aaaaaand now the alternator's decided to go on strike. Love it when gremlins come to do some work on the Brumby!

On the plus side, my charging system will now be well up to the task... And if I can find the right guts to put in it my stereo install can go ahead :)
These things happen mate.

Currently Ruby Scoo sits in the shed, no radiator, no cam belt or idler pulleys, no front left drive shaft or hub. So she's in fine form for robe at the moment!

And I've still got to replace the bearings and a CV boot on the rear end...

I would also like a new (or second hand) alternator that has good bearings, mine's making noise so it'll be just a matter of time before they die...

Still looking forward to the trip though!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Ok so as it stands, I'm still coming pending my cam belt kit arrival and install... Its getting very close and I hoped to have Ruby somewhere near going again, just waiting on parts and some time to fit them + the ones I've already got (rear bearings) - best bit is that work is not giving up. Every day off I've had rostered (one so far and a string of half days) have been filled with work. Can't complain, more in the war chest for other things :D

Will update as the trip nears

Cheers

Bennie

Hazey

Post by Hazey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm still a goer- Alt was repaired this week, plus I'm in Melbourne for the next few days chasing bits and giving the ute a thorough going over with the old man assisting.

I'm not sure if this is too early days to discuss, but are we all making our own individual ways to Robe, or (my preference) go in convoy? I don't mind nipping down to Melbourne the night before, joining up with the metro Subes and picking up more cars as we head west.
Just my 2.2cents (inc. GST) anyway.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Hazey wrote:are we all making our own individual ways to Robe, or (my preference) go in convoy? I don't mind nipping down to Melbourne the night before, joining up with the metro Subes and picking up more cars as we head west.
Just my 2.2cents (inc. GST) anyway.
I'd be keen to convoy too, but not in a massively large group.

I think I'll be coming from bendigo as well - just waiting on parts :( And I reckon if we convoyed in small groups to somewhere like Hamilton (?) to meet up then join convoys to arrive in Robe as one larger group. Timing will be of the essence here and will probably need a group leader of each convoy to arrange meet points and times so that we all meet up at roughly the same time in one place such as hamilton.

The other thing that we really need to be looking at - camping! I've not made any inquires or bookings with the caravan parks in Robe or Beachport so I don't know the availability of camp spots in these parks. We can leave it and see if we get lucky in one of the camp grounds in the dunes, these are not very big though and may fill up quickly.

Can we get a show of who's definitely coming? I'll leave out on this list as I'm seriously waiting on parts, if worst comes to worse I might have to catch you up on the saturday but I'm hoping to be in convoy with someone on the friday ;)

Cheers

Bennie

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm

OK, Got it all sorted... Tomorrow I'm putting the A/L form in for Fri and Mon so I'm a GOER!

C'mon Bennie, get that cam belt fixed and let's go!! Who else is coming?

Cheers,
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:14 pm

I'll have to confirm on Monday.
I may come up late Friday and will probably have to disappear back to Melbourne on the Monday.

Jeepers Pedro, I might be the only stock vehicle now.
Proudly representing the stock Subarus
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RIP 2008 Outback. Hello Forester XT :D

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 pm

scratch that, i'm confirming now.

I will be leaving Melbourne very early afternoon so I'll meet people at the camp site.

It would be good once we know who's coming to get an idea of who's got what cooking gear etc so I know exactly what I need to bring.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Who has a spare seat?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Venom wrote:Who has a spare seat?
I do!

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:29 pm

pezimm wrote:C'mon Bennie, get that cam belt fixed and let's go!! Who else is coming?
If the cam belt arrives tomorrow I'll have it in late tomorrow night after work :twisted: Just waiting on parts!!!
bcoutback wrote:Jeepers Pedro, I might be the only stock vehicle now.
I think Phiz will be in his stock Gen2(?) outback...
bcoutback wrote:scratch that, i'm confirming now.
Sweet!
Venom wrote:Who has a spare seat?
I was hoping you'd be open to this option. I've got one and *should* be swinging through the rat all going well with my parts situation...

Cheers

Bennie

Hazey

Post by Hazey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm good to go- had a good run of things falling into place with the Brumby this week. Just need to arrange my comms gear and fashion a sand flag and find somewhere to mount it.

Mine is still stock mechanically and suspension wise, and the new rollers haven't given me a huge boost in ground clearance.

I am just a tad excited :D

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:16 pm

hmmm... sand flag.

Any ideas on how and where to fit a sand flag to a stock vehicle?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:45 pm

bcoutback wrote:hmmm... sand flag.

Any ideas on how and where to fit a sand flag to a stock vehicle?
Yep - have one on the first vehicle in the group and one on the last - at the very least. This way the first member can inform the encountered oncoming vehicles that there's X number of cars to come...

Or make a bracket to mount to your roof racks. Mounting a sand flag on the back of the vehicle is next to useless as you can't see the flag before you see the front of the vehicle. I say this as I've seen plenty of 4wd's out there with this setup... Not cool.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Also, some basic recovery gear is required.

Snatch strap and some D shackles - some say rated ones are required but I've used some cheap steel ones that are probably larger than they're required to be but do the job without any issues...

Some sort of shove is needed too - the small army style fold up shovels go pretty good, this is what I've been using.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Victoria”