South Oz Robe Trip plan...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:30 pm

bcoutback wrote:Hi guys, as I don't have lifted vehicle, I guess i'm out for this one.
Damien, I reckon the outback should be tall enough. Lift is an advantage though. The only problem I could see is the approach and departure angle but you *should* be ok if you're happy to take it. Have you tried out a 2010 outback yet?

If it works out that you can make it but you don't want to take the outback then I'm sure you'll be able to find a seat. Mine might be taken but if its not it'll have your name on it - you've been warned that my subi is pretty rough!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Just sent Subaru Extreme a message.

If the offroad bullbars will fit the '08 as well as a '11, i'll buy them.

Not that i'm 100% certain i will be upgrading, it just makes the decision so much easier.
Proudly representing the stock Subarus
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RIP 2008 Outback. Hello Forester XT :D

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:40 pm

bcoutback wrote:Just sent Subaru Extreme a message.

If the offroad bullbars will fit the '08 as well as a '11, i'll buy them.

Not that i'm 100% certain i will be upgrading, it just makes the decision so much easier.
There is someone on Gumtree melbourne offering to swap a subaxtreme bar for a standard bumper bar at no extra cost.

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars- ... Z201480165

Looks like the same gen4 styling as yours so it should fit without any problems. It is colour matched gold though.. atleast a respray is cheaper than a $2,000 spanking new bar.

Will be good to see the outback again on the next trip!

Cheers,
Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:47 pm

Venom wrote:There is someone on Gumtree melbourne offering to swap a subaxtreme bar for a standard bumper bar at no extra cost.

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars- ... Z201480165

Looks like the same gen4 styling as yours so it should fit without any problems. It is colour matched gold though.. atleast a respray is cheaper than a $2,000 spanking new bar.
That sounds like a steal! I wonder what subaru are asking for a new bumper??? Or would you part with your current one if you were to get it Damo (you're all good with that nickname?)?

Cheers

Bennie

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Damo is good.

Yeah, i'd need to hang on to my current factory bar for if i sold the car.

but yes, if a factory newbie is cheaper than $2k, that's still good value.

Only thing I noticed is that's a '05 bar.
SubaXtreme list '04 to '06 then a different one for '07 onwards.
I assume there is some mounting difference. Prefere to have correct mounting and stuff so it's still airbag certified (probably less insurance problem also).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:27 am

G'day all,

Would anyone be concerned if I made the dates to be the 25th to the 29th of September? Since starting work in the snow I'm not sure that we'll be done by the first week of the September school holidays. I will check this tomorrow although there maybe no guarantee that I'll be off by this time - It could come down to me meeting you in Robe after the night stay at the Little Desert National Park where I can organise the camp site meet point. I'm really hoping to be done in the snow area by this point but it something that needs to be considered.

I'll let you all know when I'll be off the mountain and which dates will be the go - for now could you please let me know if these new dates work for you.

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:59 pm

Was this really posted back on the 12th June, because I missed seeing this?
G'day all,

Would anyone be concerned if I made the dates to be the 25th to the 29th of September? Since starting work in the snow I'm not sure that we'll be done by the first week of the September school holidays. I will check this tomorrow although there maybe no guarantee that I'll be off by this time - It could come down to me meeting you in Robe after the night stay at the Little Desert National Park where I can organise the camp site meet point. I'm really hoping to be done in the snow area by this point but it something that needs to be considered.

I'll let you all know when I'll be off the mountain and which dates will be the go - for now could you please let me know if these new dates work for you.

Cheers

Bennie
Will have to check the dates out and get back to you
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Sorry Everyone,

I've been contemplating this for a long time now - and after a message from Subaruby I hope no one has organised time off for this trip.

Basically what's happened is that I thought the snow season would be over by the time this trip came around. The way it stands at the moment the ski season is over on the 3rd of OCTOBER!!! There will be no chance of getting the time off over the school holidays for this trip.

I'm happy for you guys to head off without me, so long as someone posts up a wicked as trip report. I will be disappointed not to be there but that's life.

My other proposal is to do this another time that suits everyone, I was thinking maybe mid to late January, I just have to be up on the Murray at Gunbower Island for Australia day...

I'm sorry if I've let anyone down - it was not my intention as I was keen as mustard (and still am) for this trip.

Please let me know other dates that suit you and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:02 am

Bummer mate! Those new dates don't work for me anyway. This trip was your idea so I'm not so keen to do it without you - would rather sort something else out. I'm up for something in mid jan as it would make a nice end to the school holidays for me. We could even go alpine instead? I'm very keen to go visit Old Zeka Spur Tk, i walked it as a part of a bushwalk over the holidays and it looks extremely fun.

Perhaps in these september holidays we could do a weekend somewhere close (ish) like Eildon NP, mansfield or similar? Then maybe bennie could get a few days free in there somewhere (surely you're not working 6 day weeks mate?).

In the meantime we've got the snow trip coming up soon to look forward too!

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:27 pm

If we go mid-Jan it might just be all right for me to go!! I was going to miss the mid Sept trip anyway...

Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 pm

Bummer was looking forward to this but thats ok these things happen.
Look forward to a trip early next year.
Just have to keep going down the GOR for some practice in the sand at Aire River
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:00 am

I was looking forward to this too. Mid Jan is fine for me. Looks like we might get some more people along too. I'm all for more GOR cruises they are alot of fun.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:09 am

yeah, GOR i'm keen for.

August and Sept are ugly for me though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm SO going to HATE missing out on a group outing! Ah well, can't win them all eh?

That said, I've managed a couple of 4wd'n sessions up here, so hopefully by the end of the season I'll have an arsenal of tracks to piece a trip together - time to do it will be another factor.

The GOR is an awesome area, but just too far away for me to drop in on it. Damn working in the snow!

Cheers

Bennie

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Ok, I'm gonna pull this thread back to life...

January is fast approaching so I'm really hoping this is still on the radar!! ;) How are the plans going??

I've got to get 2 things sorted before then: skid plate and new tyres.

Cheers,
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:47 pm

I'm still interested. (I have to check here regularly as I keep missing things. damn it)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:47 am

I'm still keen on this too.
bcoutback wrote:I'm still interested. (I have to check here regularly as I keep missing things. damn it)

PM me your email addy and i will send you through an update if there is a trip on the cards.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:51 am

bcoutback wrote:I'm still interested. (I have to check here regularly as I keep missing things. damn it)
Go to top of the page to 'thread tools'. Then click on 'subscribe' and you'll get an email when people post in the thread :)

Dec and Jan are full for me as I have family visiting and then I'm heading up to FNQ for a rafting/kayaking expedition and get back a week before school starts...

Have fun guys!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Hmm. Will see what I can do for being there. What I can do is sort out maps/info if I can't make it - this way it'll still go ahead while you guys have the time off.

Personally I would be trying to travel there in one day, I know I will be tight for time off + australia day time up the murray will be needed as well. If the dates line up with this trip I reckon I'd be a goer. Just depends on my employer that I'm not working for yet...

And I'll need to sort some thermo fans for Ruby Scoo

IF your subi has cooling issues you WILL need to sort them out before you leave, as the sand will work your vehicle hard and the heat of the day will make things harder to cool. The sand is some of the softest I've experienced - any softer and I reckon your car would sink when you stop, it practically does already!

Cheers

Bennie

PS Mt Black TR is still coming, probably while I'm hanging out at the perth airport on saturday night...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Ok, so I propose the following dates:

Friday the 21st of January to travel to Robe.

Leave either Monday the 24th of January OR Tuesday the 25th of January. This way it'll give everyone a day to settle in for Oz day if we leave on the Monday...

The way I'd see the itinerary work is like this:

Friday 21st: Travel to Robe, play on long beach if there's time
Saturday 22nd: Tour around the Robe end of the Little Dip National Park to gain sand driving skills/test out vehicles
Sunday 23rd: Attempt Robe to Beachport (90km) via sand tracks. Group size will be the thing to slow us down. 2 vehicles did it in 5 hours last time, that was without trying either!
Monday 24th: Either travel back home/to Oz day camp OR hang around and play in the sand for another day
Tuesday 25th: Either already home/camping for Oz day OR travelling home.

I'll be camping out on the Murray for Oz day, will have to get back to you if you'd like to join us as I've got a pile of mates rearing for this camp already!

How do these dates sound to everyone?

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Victoria”