South Oz Robe Trip plan...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Ok, so I've clearly been out of the loop for a bit in terms of the news, yes I know about the queensland floods and a tiny bit about bushfires in WA. Now I'm hearing that getting to SA is going to be difficult due to the flooding occuring in western/west central vic. Roads and bridges have been damaged/swept away.

Any one heard about this/knows more information or wether its going to actually effect our travel plans?

And JUST in case I don't get Ruby Scoo on the road (hoping the cam kit arrives tomorrow, being monday the 17th...) anyone got a spare seat I can ride shotgun in? Just in case!

**EDIT** Please refer to the attachments in this post for the Little Dip NP Mud Maps

Also - since I've not got around to (read: forgot) making the NOK forms, please have two copies of details of next of kin plus anything else you think important such as medical conditions/insurance etc. Keep one in your wallet or pocket and the other strapped to your driver's sun visor.

**END EDIT**

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Vicroads is a good place to start.

http://mobiletraffic.vicroads.vic.gov.a ... p=HPE00019

(i've got to run out the door now so I just found this link but haven't gone through it yet.)
Proudly representing the stock Subarus
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RIP 2008 Outback. Hello Forester XT :D

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Yeah I'll be in a stock 99 gen 3 Outback with wearing H/T's hahaha. Should be fun. Hey Bennie, do you mind if my brother brings the Cruiser?

I'll be heading down to Melbourne either Tuesday or Wednesday, I want to take the great ocean road, but hear parts of it are closed.. Guess I need to look through that vicroads site and figure out what roads are called what in Victoria!
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Hazey

Post by Hazey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:15 pm

There's a few points that should be raised here regarding the floods:
Firstly (this point mainly concerns myself, but others may be in a similar situation) I was involved in an expedition to Serpentine- the town I grew up in and where our family home still stands- au the weekend. It is situated on the Loddon river and is very vulnerable to flooding should it breach it's banks. Every home was sand bagged and whatever happens next is anyone's guess. I have not heard from any residents in the last twelve hours which is of a concern. Whatever the case, there is a chance I may need to pass on the trip to participate in cleaning up activities and put my ute to good use. I will have a definitive answer very soon.
Something else to be wary of is the possibility of recurring floods and where all this water is going to end up. I've even heard theories of the water from Queensland making it's way south into SA, and the rate at which it's travelling would coincide with the trip. The last thing I'd want to see happen is the group being unable to return back to Victoria for several days, or having to take a massive detour home. I'm no expert, and I'm by nor means saying it will happen, but it's something that does need to be made aware of.

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:35 am

bcoutback wrote:Vicroads is a good place to start.

http://mobiletraffic.vicroads.vic.gov.a ... p=HPE00019

(i've got to run out the door now so I just found this link but haven't gone through it yet.)
MAJOR ALERT
Melbourne to Adelaide - Western Highway now open
The Murray Valley Highway is open however under threat and should be avoided.
Princes Hwy - Closed at McKinnons Bridge Noorat Road. Detour via Camperdown-Cobden Road and Warrnambool-Cobden Road.

^^^^ That's what it says right now... I hope by the end of the week most of this water would have found its way to the ocean...

Let's keep monitoring!

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 pm

If the western highway is open we'll be right to get to the border. We can go around what ever the issue is if there's an open route from the western highway to Naracoorte then to Robe, I know you cross a lot of drains on this road to Robe which could be the issue...

Coming home Hazey, I don't see the Murray being an issue as we're not really near it for it to effect us. If something does who's up for a big on-the-side-of-the-road aussie day shin-dig? :D

Phiz, not fussed. I've asked a Rangie mate and a Frontera mate to come along, both not coming at this stage.

Hazey, I understand the situation out at Serp, best of luck with it. Kez's dad owns/runs the Jarklin pub that's currently surrounded by a big puddle of water. I say puddle because that's what it is - the pub is built on a raised bit of land that is surrounded by a lower section where water drains into. Dunno if the pub actually floods out though. Either way - who saw this coming? Interesting times ahead for the Murray mouth!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:14 am

Ruby Scoo's a goer! Just have to do the rear bearings tomorrow and she'll be mechanically A1 except for an oil leak that's nothing to worry about, just looks ugly :(

Also, anyone know what's the go with fishing licenses in SA? I've not looked anything up as I've not had much net time ATM. If anyone knows what the go is it would be great if you could post it here as I'm looking at bringing my rods just incase there's a fishing opportunity ;)

REALLY looking forward to the trip now!

Cheers

Bennie

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:21 am

I don't know what they are, but as far as I know recreational fishing is fine without any licenses. http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recr ... al_lengths.

Not sure if Lizard (Ellis) is coming, but he'd know. You could PM him on my forum.

A friend of my brothers suggested we look at getting some sites at Lakeside Tourist Park. They require deposit on booking and I also have no idea how many people are going. I still think it will be a wing it thing. Once everyone is down there look for a place to fit us all!

I would suggest everyone give the organiser (El_Freddo) your phone number by PM. And also we should pick a UHF channel. And maybe even a gathering point?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 pm

Phizinza wrote:A friend of my brothers suggested we look at getting some sites at Lakeside Tourist Park. They require deposit on booking and I also have no idea how many people are going. I still think it will be a wing it thing. Once everyone is down there look for a place to fit us all!

I would suggest everyone give the organiser (El_Freddo) your phone number by PM. And also we should pick a UHF channel. And maybe even a gathering point?
Text me your name and numbers (PM box almost full of "useful" PMs): O for to won 1 ate four zro 3 one ;) Say it out loud if you don't get it by just reading...

As for arriving there: I would like to convoy - might have to pick up a mate from Romsey depending on what he's going to do. If we could all meet up in some town along the way that'd be great. I think I need to go through b'rat, Pezimm, if you're there to pick up Venom I'll meet you guys there, just need to know a time.

Hopefully we'll get something sorted and arrive in one group instead of dribs and drabs - will make finding a camp site easier either in the dunes or in a caravan park, either way we have to pay for the site...

Now to replace the rear bearings - here I go!

Cheers

Bennie

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 am

El_Freddo wrote:I think I need to go through b'rat, Pezimm, if you're there to pick up Venom I'll meet you guys there, just need to know a time.
Still waiting on Venom's final call.

Suggest getting to Ballarat around 9.30am, we could meet at a servo on the Western Hwy?? I'm not quite sure which ones are out there, but take your pick and I'll find it...

Really excited, just need to catch up on some sleep!!

Pedro.

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi folks, I'm a late scratching on this trip.
Now have to be in town on Saturday.

grr.

Take crap loads of photos.
Proudly representing the stock Subarus
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RIP 2008 Outback. Hello Forester XT :D

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Well I'm definitely in, nothings going to get in the way! Just hope my grandma stays well for the coming two weeks!
We'll be in Robe around 4 to 5 pm. My brother suggests we meet up in the foodland car park, that way if anyone needs anything we are right there and no need to lose people going off on the way to a camping site.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:13 am

pezimm wrote:Really excited, just need to catch up on some sleep!!
Tell me about it - last three nights nothing earlier than 2:30am - tonight's no different!
bcoutback wrote:Hi folks, I'm a late scratching on this trip.
Bugger mate, I was really looking forward to catching up and seeing if you stuck with the outback you had last time (gen 3 or 4?)
Phizinza wrote:Well I'm definitely in, nothings going to get in the way! Just hope my grandma stays well for the coming two weeks!
We'll be in Robe around 4 to 5 pm. My brother suggests we meet up in the foodland car park, that way if anyone needs anything we are right there and no need to lose people going off on the way to a camping site.
Sounds like a good idea Phiz. Dunno what time Pezimm and I will be arriving, but we're meeting up in Baccus Marsh at 9:30am.

Other info as per postings on offroadingsubarus.com/forum and offroadsubarus.com:

Ok, Ruby Scoo's moving well. Will need a 36mm socket and bar if someone can bring with them - I've already split the new boot, NOT HAPPY JAN!! So I'll be hoping its all good for the trip, will be carrying an old spare that clicked a lot, just need the socket and bar to get the castle nut off as I can do the rest from there. Back up plan!

In other news, pretty much sorted for tomorrow. If we don't meet up in the same place for the night we'll meet 9am at the servo, there's a carpark beside it, this will be our meet point for Saturday

I'm meeting Pezimm in Baccus Marsh at 9:30am for any other vicco's that would like to convoy with us.

So far I've got mobile numbers for Phiz, Roger and Pezimm... Bboy, I've got yours from our last outing - dunno where the little D shackle has gone, could be in the console - its the only place I haven't looked so far!

REALLY looking forward to it!

Cheers

Bennie

PS - going by mobile number gathering we'll have only about 5 cars max, unless we've got some sleepers...

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:47 pm

How did it go?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Venom wrote:How did it go?
Hi Venom,

It was great! We had lots of fun driving on the sand, camping was great, overall it was a very enjoyable long weekend!

I've got a few photos I got from El_Freddo, but I'll wait for his written trip report, which shouldn't be too long away!!

Cheers,
Pedro.

sagey

Post by sagey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 am

2nd that, it was an excellent trip! good weather, awesome driving, great company!
Thanks to El_Freddo who organised it and Phiz and Roger for driving Tash and Me around!

Josh

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:04 pm

And the Outback made it back from another 1200km odd trip down around melbourne and back home afterwards! Although the bumper is really not looking happy! Haha, oh well custom barwork time it is.

On the sand I got 17.7L per 100km, on the Highways with aircon it was getting 8.7 and without aircon 8.3. I'm pretty happy with that! Still have front end clonking, so that right ball joint wasn't all of the noise. Will be cleaning the car inside and out this week and checking on the noises and damage caused under the car from the weekend!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 pm

The Trip Report :twisted:

You can also check it out on offroadingsubarus.com/forum and offroadsubaurs.com if you so wish. Its also made an appearance on 4wdaction.com.au/forum in the trip reports for south oz - first TR on there for me, hope its "embraced" without slander!

I'm now thinking of a way to make my own set of air shocks that fit inside a tube that has the lower spring seat on it to sort out my rear end's load/sag issue... Just need a suitable air shock and some tubing to play around with to see if it will work.

Thanks to those who made it. Pack a lunch for the trip report, hope I didn't ramble on too long ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Victoria”