South Oz Robe Trip plan...

El_Freddo
Master Member

South Oz Robe Trip plan...

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:01 pm

G'day Vicco's (and other states reading this).

As a few of you know, I used the last trip to Robe as a bit of a reckie for another trip.

Dates are the First week of the Victorian School Holidays of September

Plan is 4 days - One there, two to play, one back. I was thinking of incorporating the Little Desert NP along the way, but I think we could use the time on the Beach. We could go for 5 or six days if we really wanted to, it just increases cost but the fun factor should increase more than cost does...

Anyway, Four days. First night camp at robe. Plan is to make it in good time to do a circuit so that you can get a feel for what you're up for on the second day. I realise some may be knackered after the 7 hour drive over, but not all subis need to go out.

Second day will be pretty full on. I would like us to 4wd from Robe to Beachport :D It can be done in half a day with two subis. Tried and tested! We can either camp at Beachport OR camp ON the beach :twisted:

Third day can be used to head back to some points of interest for a play session, or for some to head off for some touristie activities, rejoining back at camp for the last night.

Camp can either be in Beachport or Robe caravan parks. I would like to all book into the one place to camp together for some late night chatter :D

Thoughts/feelings/dates that suit you? Have I forgotten anything?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Sounds good bennie, awesome idea!

I would definately prefer to break up the drive by staying the first night at little desert np and messing around there for a bit - I would like to get some practice in that area as preperation for Border Track :twisted: and I am just not a fan of driving for so long at once.

SA bit sounds ace, def. keen! how about those that are keen for a bit longer trip come home via the coast and cut into the otways on the way back? desert to beach to mud :mrgreen:!

I am away rafting on the Mitta Mitta from the 26 – 29th (second week of school hols), so would need to be back on the 24th to give me time to prep that trip.

I'm still thinking about what to do these winter holidays, I'm thinking walhalla way :mrgreen:

Who else is coming????
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:17 pm

I have forgotten a few things:

*UPDATED 14APR10*

- lift should be seriously considered, as host I would be at ease if you had lift. Unless you don't mind damaging your undercarriage. The MY/L models would benefit from larger tyres too.

- Sand flags are a MUST. A 20mm conduit pipe can be shortened to 3 metres (NOT from the joining end!), cut in half (so it fits in the car when not used). The joining end - drill a hole for a cable tie to hold the two pieces together when in use. Drill holes for the flag to fit to and for cable ties to mount to the front of your subi.

- Rear cargo tie down points are also a must - otherwise your gear WILL be bouncing around while its in there and we're in the sand!

- NOK forms will be organised, link posted when they're uploaded for printing/filling out.

The lift is the important thing to have if you want to keep the underside of your subi intact as there are a few rather rocky outcrops to negotiate. And the tracks can be deep/sand very soft.

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:40 am

Sounds good Bennie.

I vote for 5 or 6 days.

Maybe we need an over night trip down to Airle beach for some sand practice? Or maybe a day trip to that mythical sand pit in the otways?

September will give me plenty of time to sort out a lift anyway...

Cheers,
Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm definitely interested. But September will be very hard for me to come along given my upcoming wedding overseas in early October. I'll need to fly out by mid-September.

I guess the sand practice trips will have to do for me...

Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:50 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
- Sand flags are a good to have. A 20mm conduit pipe can be shortened to 3 metres (NOT from the joining end!), cut in half (so it fits in the car when not used). The joining end - drill a hole for a cable tie to hold the two pieces together when in use. Drill holes for the flag to fit to and for cable ties to mount to the front of your subi.
Consider a must have down there - good idea as is higher than a UHF antenna

Sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Also consider Robe (or Beachport) to Carpentner's rocks and return inland thru the South East. Some very soft sand though, but is a real mix of driving.

Still has open dunes to play on, whereas most dunes between Robe & Beachport are fenced off.

Warning - keep off the Lake George mud flats no matter how enticing they may look = rust-a-plenty!

Camping on beach is not a lot of fun though - really blows a gale at night. Suggest amongst the dunes if you can

Is a great area - sounds like a good trip you have planned

Sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:07 pm

I'm in preferably for the first week of the september school holidays (s few people want the same time off at work).
Definitely excited about this one, even bought a pole for my sand flag today!:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Sweet.

So I'm thinking the first week of the School Holidays is the go then as two of the above have expressed that this is the best time for them (Richard and Owen).

Thanks for the advice Sven! The stuff you told me last time was good advice, cheers!

The other thing I remembered to add to the "must" list is: Cargo tie down points! I really wished I had some on the last trip. And we've all seen first hand where our gear can go in a crash. I know Richard has some, maybe you could give us some advice/tips on how you did yours ;)

I've also got some "mud maps" that I've got to scan, I'll post them up then mail them out to who ever wants them to print off.

I'm also seriously considering having participants carry two NOK (next of Kin) forms, one on them and one in their vehicle in case of emergency. These forms will have details such as NOK, ambulance, allergies, GP's details etc...

I think that's it for now.

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 pm

The other thing I remembered to add to the "must" list is: Cargo tie down points! I really wished I had some on the last trip. And we've all seen first hand where our gear can go in a crash. I know Richard has some, maybe you could give us some advice/tips on how you did yours

My solution was pretty simple.
Get some nylon webbing that you find on most backpacks and bags these days, I think bout 20mm wide. Cut a piece off, melt the ends with a lighter or something similar and folded it over to make a loop. I then made a hole through the 2 layers of webbing at the opposite end to the loop. I made the hole with an old soldering iron (hot) by pushing it through the webbing. I then drilled holes in the floor at the rear on the wagon, making sure not to drill through anything that might be underneath the floor (ie fuel tank). I then bolted these nylon webbing loops to the floor.
Hope this helps, I can post pics on the weekend if anyone wants.
They are very strong and useful, I tie everthing down using ratchet straps and everything stays in its place.
Suspension lift.

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:02 am

El_Freddo wrote:Sweet.

I'm also seriously considering having participants carry two NOK (next of Kin) forms, one on them and one in their vehicle in case of emergency. These forms will have details such as NOK, ambulance, allergies, GP's details etc...
I'll send you something tomorrow to save you the hassle of making one from scratch. PM me your actual email.

This is sounding better and better!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Ok so I haven't scanned anything yet :( Been busy with other things...

I'm keen to get some ideas moving, I'm thinking of an overnight at little desert NP, 4 nights at robe/beachport - a total of 6 days. If you can't make the whole six days I'd be happy for you to organise a time to meet up with the crew when it suits you.

About half the nights will be out camping I hope, the other half in caravan parks.

The night that we roll into Robe I would like to have everyone out to the pub for a meal. Prices range from $20 to $35 depending of course on what you get :D

Caravan park camping/cabining will need to book well before the event otherwise we'll be camping out without facilities for the entire trip... I know I'd like a shower at some stage - at least twice ;) I can rough it but for the comfort of everyone else...

Any thoughts/ideas from those interested? I've still not sorted dates for the trip yet, but I'm thinking the weekend at the start of the sept holidays through to the middle weekend, this gives us some time to sort ourselves out when we get home/camp along the way home to break up the drive, I have to keep reminding myself that not everyone is comfortable to drive long distances in one shot - do mention this if you're not happy with the arrangements for interstate driving ;)

I think that's all for now.

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Tue May 11, 2010 2:11 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Ok so I haven't scanned anything yet :( Been busy with other things...

I'm keen to get some ideas moving, I'm thinking of an overnight at little desert NP, 4 nights at robe/beachport - a total of 6 days. If you can't make the whole six days I'd be happy for you to organise a time to meet up with the crew when it suits you.

About half the nights will be out camping I hope, the other half in caravan parks.

The night that we roll into Robe I would like to have everyone out to the pub for a meal. Prices range from $20 to $35 depending of course on what you get :D +1 from me, pub meal ftw!

Caravan park camping/cabining will need to book well before the event otherwise we'll be camping out without facilities for the entire trip... I know I'd like a shower at some stage - at least twice ;) I can rough it but for the comfort of everyone else...

Any thoughts/ideas from those interested? I've still not sorted dates for the trip yet, but I'm thinking the weekend at the start of the sept holidays through to the middle weekend, this gives us some time to sort ourselves out when we get home/camp along the way home to break up the drive, I have to keep reminding myself that not everyone is comfortable to drive long distances in one shot - do mention this if you're not happy with the arrangements for interstate driving ;)

I think that's all for now.

Cheers

Bennie
Sounds good mate!

So long as the drive home is something along the lines of early departure, drive, long lunch with a side trip 4 wheeling, then more highway in the arvo I'll be ok with the drive home, otherwise if I have time available (depends on what our return date is) I might make an extra overnight stop in the otways on the way home, go for a surf or something ya know? 'cause otherwise its 8 hrs from robe to frankston.

My preferance would be to leave robe afterlunch on day 5, drive to Aire Crossing or Aire River which both have good campsites, although they may be busy being school holidays - maybe we could do a bit of a reccie on our up coming trip to that area?

Pub meal and caravan park sound ace.

Cheers,
O.

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Tue May 11, 2010 8:14 pm

I will have to work on the weekend that is the start of the school holidays, but am happy to meet up later. I have no problems with the driving time/distance so am happy to fit in.

Time frame for me is probablly 5 days so my initial thoughts were a day to drive over and a day to drive back, with four nights at Robe.

Not to worried about caravan parks but after a couple of days I do start to smell so I would enjoy a shower
(and others would probbly prefer it) if thats the go!

Pub meal sounds the go but not sure what this means....
+1 from me, pub meal ftw!
Depending on how many go are we interested in sharing the cooking and food, at least for the last meal of the day?

But its all up for discussion
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Ok, some scanned documents. I'll post them as attachments so that you have to log in to see them/download them. I'll also post each set in a seperate post each...

This attachment is the first map we used on our trip to Robe just after Australia day:

More to come...

Bennie
Attachments
Little_Dip_NP_Southern_Section.jpg
Little_Dip_NP_Southern_Section.jpg (111.31 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
Little_Dip_NP_Northern_Section.jpg
Little_Dip_NP_Northern_Section.jpg (108.26 KiB) Viewed 3196 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 13, 2010 9:17 pm

The Little Dip NP Mud map:

Bennie
Attachments
Little_Dip_Conservation_Park_p3.jpg
Little_Dip_Conservation_Park_p3.jpg (113.45 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
Little_Dip_Conservation_Park_p2.jpg
Little_Dip_Conservation_Park_p2.jpg (110.89 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
Little_Dip_Conservation_Park_p1.jpg
Little_Dip_Conservation_Park_p1.jpg (109.43 KiB) Viewed 2810 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Beachport to Nora Creina Mud Map

And Robe and local area tidal chart

Bennie
Attachments
Robe_tide_chart.jpg
Robe_tide_chart.jpg (111.64 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
Beachport_to_Nora_Creina_p3.jpg
Beachport_to_Nora_Creina_p3.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Beachport_to_Nora_Creina_p2.jpg
Beachport_to_Nora_Creina_p2.jpg (115.25 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Beachport_to_Nora_Creina_p1.jpg
Beachport_to_Nora_Creina_p1.jpg (105.75 KiB) Viewed 2806 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 pm

And another area I have not been to, nor could I tell you where it is in relation to Robe or Beachport as I have not yet looked into this. Could be worth "exploring" it if we've got time.

Canunda National Park:

That is all for attachments at the moment.

Cheers

Bennie
Attachments
Canunda_National_Park_p4.jpg
Canunda_National_Park_p4.jpg (103.89 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Canunda_National_Park_p3.jpg
Canunda_National_Park_p3.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
Canunda_National_Park_p2.jpg
Canunda_National_Park_p2.jpg (113.33 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
Canunda_National_Park_p1.jpg
Canunda_National_Park_p1.jpg (113.06 KiB) Viewed 2807 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 13, 2010 10:24 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:Sounds good mate!

So long as the drive home is something along the lines of early departure, drive, long lunch with a side trip 4 wheeling, then more highway in the arvo I'll be ok with the drive home, otherwise if I have time available (depends on what our return date is) I might make an extra overnight stop in the otways on the way home, go for a surf or something ya know? 'cause otherwise its 8 hrs from robe to frankston.
Camping out in that area sounds like a great idea. Dunno if we'll have time for a long lunch and a 4wd session. I wouldn't want to push on after some 4wd'n and others may not have the physical stamina to do that.
subaruby wrote:I will have to work on the weekend that is the start of the school holidays, but am happy to meet up later. I have no problems with the driving time/distance so am happy to fit in.
Yeah no worries Richard, you can meet us in Robe or at least sort out a time to meet if we're out for the day...

I also like the idea of sharing the last meal of the day if others are up for it. I have no allergies or dislikes in food - other than coliflower...

Cheers

Bennie

bcoutback

Post by bcoutback » Sun May 30, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi guys, as I don't have lifted vehicle, I guess i'm out for this one.

If I am available and someone has a spare seat, i'll hitch a ride.
I have a suspicion that Sept is realy bad timing for me.
Proudly representing the stock Subarus
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RIP 2008 Outback. Hello Forester XT :D

Return to “Victoria”