Buying a car, REGO an RWC questions in Vic

Dougie

Buying a car, REGO an RWC questions in Vic

Post by Dougie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:12 am

G'day all
Im looking for advise again on the subject of buying a car in Victoria, myself and my partner will now be moving to Melbourne from Scotland in November.(woohoo):p its been a long wait .
We will wanting to buy a couple of cars fairly quickly, one gooden and a run around, hopefully a Forester/Outback and a Brumby/L series ,but im unsure of the laws of what you need to drive a car on the road legallyin Oz , its so different from the UK, Ive had a quick look at Vic road but though i could ask here.

1/ if we bought a car with Rego and Rwc on it am i correct in saying that we would only need to transfer registar ownership and insurance it?

2/If we bought a car with some rego on it and no rwc, Do you need to get a new rwc on a car before you can transfer rego in your name ?

3/If we bought a car with no rego and no rwc what would we need and what first ?

4/how much is a RWC test in Vic

Any advise on this subject would be great, and if anyone could recommend or not recommend any car sales garages in Melbourne this would also be help full

Cheers Dougie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:03 am

G'day Dougie,
Ooh big move hey and you guys are looking forward to it!!

Dougie wrote:
1/ if we bought a car with Rego and Rwc on it am i correct in saying that we would only need to transfer registar ownership and insurance it?
Correct, with RWC its once off of the ownership of the car. You will need insurance - you have a choice of comprehensive insurance or 3rd Party (fire or theft cover) or no insurance - risky!
Dougie wrote:
2/If we bought a car with some rego on it and no rwc, Do you need to get a new rwc on a car before you can transfer rego in your name ?
Yes & No, you will have to discuss with the seller of the car and have some written information starting from the time when you drive off with the car, you will need RWC papers to fill in to take it to VicRoads and that will have to be done asap again if the seller does not sell the car with RWC, you still can buy it and get it RWC after buying it or before - doesnt matter, but you will not be able to register it into your name without RWC.
Dougie wrote:
3/If we bought a car with no rego and no rwc what would we need and what first ?
You can buy a permit - its from 730am to 7pm that you can buy from VicRoads, it can be upto something like $60? (might've changed in these days now) for 28 days. But its only a permit for RWC purposes before registering the car. But if I were you, before you buy the car without rego etc get the S/N & chassis number checked with vicroads before you buy it - that is a good way knowing if its stolen, write off or else.
Dougie wrote:
4/how much is a RWC test in Vic
Last price I know its something like $66 just for the RWC paper, plus parts/labor on the top
Dougie wrote:
Any advise on this subject would be great, and if anyone could recommend or not recommend any car sales garages in Melbourne this would also be help full

Cheers Dougie
Can't help with that, but there is so many RWC mechanics - same as normal mechanics garages and they normally have an license for RWC with license number on the sign with vicroads logo on it.

Good Luck!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:21 am

To do a transfer of ownership for a registered vehicle you need to have a RWC. If it is not provided by the seller then you will need to have the RWC done.

If you buy an unregistered vehicle you will require a RWC to register it.

Essentially to purchase and register a car it will require a RWC before you walk in the Vicroads door to do anything with it.

A road worthy test costs about $90. They may or may not pick on things that require fixing before they issue the certificare. Common issues are cracked lights, wipers, frayed seat belts, oil leaks etc. Basically anything that is obvious to the eye. Funnily enough it has very little to do with the mechanical condition of the vehicle. Some tester simply do not issue a RWC straight away, and will pick up on small things on even the most presentable vehicles.

Wether or not you buy a car with or without a RWC depends on a few things. If you're mechanically competent it might be cheaper to get a vehicle to RWC standard yourself because generally purchase price without a RWC is lower. The risk of course is that the cost to get the vehicle to RWC standard will put the purchase price + RWC repairs above what another car may cost with the RWC included. I personally allow $500 for the cost of getting a car to RWC standard. The biggest unknown isn't the vehicle, but the tester. Some testers are great. Some don't want your car been certified by them and will give you a big list just to get you to go away, especially older vehicles.

I've bought two cars without RWCs that needed far more work than i expected to get a RWC. I was handed a 2 page list of things to fix on one vehicle. Probably my own faults, but both vehicles appeared to be in good condition and well cared for. After the second i haven't consider buying vehicles without a RWC. I personally don't understand people who claim they have a well presented vehicle in good condition but they aren't selling it with a RWC.

Another option for a vehicle you are considering without a RWC is to pay for the seller to have a RWC test before purchasing the vehicle. This way they are not left out of pocket, but you will know what the vehicle requires for certification. If it requires alot of work then you can walk away and only be out of pocket the $80-90 the test cost you.

For someone like yourself who is coming from overseas then i would suggest you strongly consider vehicles with a RWC. It is much simpler, with less stress and less risk. Even if the vehicle does require work, atleast with a RWC you car get the vehicle in your name and then repair it at your leisure.

Cheers,
Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dougie

Post by Dougie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Cheers for the advise lads,

I have looked over the Vic roads pages and every page says something different, thought if someone in the know how and driving over there could explain it iI would be able to understand it a bit better and be aware of some of the risks that may lay head when buying a car over there. I am orginally a old school mechanic to trade and would be repairing / servicing my cars myself as i have done in the past and have a good idea whats what for a rwc/mot regulations,

Venom, I think i agree with you, I would be better of buying a car with Rego and Rwc, less stress and hassle for first time purchases, we dont need any more added stress , we will have enough just moving across lol

AP , we cant wait to get over, we were across last november and loved it. There is no work over here for me and with the new goverment in power over here god help us if we stay.

cheers Dougie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:23 pm

Dougie - even if you're buying a vehicle with rego you'll have to pay for stamp duty! Get used to it in Vic, we almost pay stamp duty on everything :(

Basically what you're after is a vehicle with a roadworthy certificate. From there you can easily register a vehicle. If you buy a vehicle with rego but no roadworthy certificate (RWC) you're still up for a RWC check/test.

And when it comes to getting a roadworthy it all comes down to the guy who's doing it on the day. I kid you not! I know the local guy is pretty on to it, which is good for your vehicle but not your wallet. If you don't have a receipt for a new windscreen you might as well not rock up - the sand blasting effect is the reason for this (Ruby Scoo's in need of a new windscreen due to this :()

Other than that I know where there's a tidy 1994 L series, but I'd have to sort out a RWC for you ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:54 pm

Thats right....
If you buy a car without RWC - to get it RWC will be harder for you to source right parts in right places otherwise mechanic might say "oh this bloke is fresh from overseas... lets put the price up" blah... or if your having a hard time finding right parts then your in trouble - I'm aware you have access to here and ask for advice.. but if your on your own out there.. not good start for you..

So your better off getting the job done for you ready to drive after getting it registered - will make your life lot easier.

For me, I'd rather do RWC myself because I know my way around to it.

Another advice... we have a membership here called "Royal Automobile Club of Victoria" http://www.racv.com.au i recommend you to join them when you have your own car then you'll be covered if you break down anywhere - depending what kind of cover you have, RACV will help you to get out of trouble ie. if run out of fuel, you'll get free 10litres of fuel or enough fuel to next stop or a tow truck to take your car to nearest garage or home etc...

With RACV they also have a inspection on buying a car, they'll do a check to see if your car is safe to buy, they'll point out more items than a mechanic would for RWC ie. bushes that looks ok, but RACV says its not, or shockers are ok, but RACV will tell you that its on way out or dints/dents on panels all these stuff etc etc.. - I got it inspected on my wagon before I bought it and I personally think it was a waste of time but i didnt want to go thru another mistake like what I did previously. (bought a car looks good but internally it was a lemon)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Dougie

Post by Dougie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:27 am

Cheers for all this great advise, keep it coming, it aint putting me off, just teaching of the ozzy way of living, i have been reading that there is duty on alot of thing in oz,
When i was across in november we had RACV cover on my friends jeep which i borrowed for the 2 weeks, which made me feel more comfortable with this as we traveeled around alot , great ocean road/camping etc,its similiar to what i have here. I will still have access to my friend jeep in melbourne for the first few weeks on arrival, but would prefer to get my own wheels , as it is her pride and joy. and i aint keen on auto,s,
Cheers Dougie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:17 am

Dougie wrote:it aint putting me off, just teaching of the ozzy way of living
You mean how to screw eachother over just to make an extra buck?

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Dougie

Post by Dougie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:41 pm

El_Freddo wrote:You mean how to screw eachother over just to make an extra buck?

Bennie
I should be ok then ,pretty much the same here, i had a ad up on gumtree here for 2 sets of subaru alloys, 15" and 16" with tyres for £40 a set, which i thought was cheap enough just to get rid of them, A guy replies and asks are all tyres in road legal and offers £30 for both sets and would i throw in the outback struts in aswell at that price and could i deliver them 60 miles away for free, i repied to his email and asked if he would like me to fit them for him aswell while he went threw my wallet. Roadside robbers, wide boys and chancers are every where you go, just helps if you were one before yourself . i was:twisted: but im ok now LOL

Return to “Victoria”