Proposed trip - Walhalla 2011

Venom
General Member

Proposed trip - Walhalla 2011

Post by Venom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:50 pm

I am going to propose a Walhalla trip on either the weekend of 27-28 of August or the 3-4 of September. Short notice but i don't want to leave it too late in Sept because it's getting close to the desert trip. Walhalla is about 2.5 to 3 hours from Melbourne, north of Moe. The area east of Walhalla and the Thompson river is rich with mining history. There are a number of deserted towns and mines to explore in the region. The area is also very well known as a popular 4WD destination, with a shit load of tracks in the area which should be a great challenge and fun experience.

Plan at this stage would be a Friday camp in Walhalla (free), dinner at the pub (cheap, amazing food).

Saturday morning explore tracks around walhalla, cross the Thompson river into the Walhalla east /Aberfeldy region and continue exploring. i might find some camps on the net for Sat night or more likely find something as we go.

Sun morning continue exploring the area east of the Thompson, head back over the river before dark and depart from there. Possibley tea and some brews at the pub for those with a bit more time to get back :D

The river crossing is risky. It's very rocky (Bennies fuel tank can attest to that :D), the approach and departure sites can be steep and of course there is always the risk of hydrolocking or flooding your car. No need for snorkels, but i think you definitely want to bypass the ingaurd intake to be confident of crossing. The water shouldn't be much higher than the bottom of say the doors on my car, but these things are never certain. FUN!

I'm wary of tackling any challenging stuff without atleast one hand winch in the group, so if someone could arrange something that would be good.

Of course all of this is pointless if no one is interested, so hands up :twisted: Pick a date that suits you too (or feel free to propose an alternative date), and if you're flexible for either then let me know.

Passengers welcome if you don't want to take your own car!

Cheers,

Rhys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Venom wrote:The river crossing is risky. It's very rocky (Bennies fuel tank can attest to that :D)
Yeah... that was the new one that was previously un-dented. Wasn't happy!
Venom wrote:No need for snorkels, but i think you definitely want to bypass the ingaurd intake to be confident of crossing. The water shouldn't be much higher than the bottom of say the doors on my car, but these things are never certain. FUN!
I thought snorkels would be issued at the start of the trip :rolleyes: We've still got plenty of snow up here so the conditions will be dependant on the ice melt/rain closer to the date.
While the crossing is risky it is also quite a rush once you've done it. My sig is about 5-10 seconds before I dinged my fuel tank last year...
Venom wrote:I'm wary of tackling any challenging stuff without atleast one hand winch in the group, so if someone could arrange something that would be good.
I've only got that dodgy little one you used last time Rhys - I don't think I'll count that one!
Venom wrote:Of course all of this is pointless if no one is interested, so hands up :twisted: Pick a date that suits you too (or feel free to propose an alternative date), and if you're flexible for either then let me know.
I'll put in for the 4-5th but time off work will be at a premium I think. If we could push it to the 17-18th sept I'll be in at this point, just need to see how a few things unfold in the season at the moment :(

Definitely keen. Scorpions will be in this year :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:27 pm

I think 17-18th is too close to the desert trip and Subaruby has had that planned for a lot longer than this so i reckon' his trip should get priority. Unless people can manage both?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Venom wrote:I think 17-18th is too close to the desert trip and Subaruby has had that planned for a lot longer than this so i reckon' his trip should get priority. Unless people can manage both?
Yeah fair call. I'm keen not to break my attendance streak! Plus I've got a subi to put together that's 40mins away, possibly a school camp to attend in falls for the week prior to friday the 9th, a bucks on the weekend starting friday the 9th - and I'm meant to shove work in there somewhere! I might have to drop the camp which would end a 4 year streak :(

anyway, we'll see what everyone else can do and go from there. I don't know of any date's proposed for the desert trip yet... or I've missed them.

Cheers

Bennie

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 pm

I can't do the August weekend. Co driving in a mates brumby for the Mallee Challenge.
As for the 4th, not sure at this stage. It's fathers day. Is the risky river crossing a must do? My tyres are still just roadies and I have no lift. Not interested in hydro locking this nice 25!
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 pm

We could cross at the Thompson dam to accomodate unlifted vehicles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:08 pm

If I can do it, it will have to be on the 3rd and 4th and will be completely last minute notice from me. I might need to go to Melbourne to help the girl move house, if that is the case I still might be able to squeeze in some 4wding. But yeah, I'll let you know at the last minute.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Ok I have the weekend of sept 3-4 and also weekend of sept 17-18 off so available for both but would lean towards the 17-18

I am not worried about having too trips close together, at this stage I am thinking the weekend of october 22-23 for thedesert trip.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:08 pm

OK well 17-18 of September is looking good for Subaruby and El Freddo. I'm leaning towards this as well.

Oh and the Thompson River is flooding at the moment, which could make things interesting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:35 pm

Venom wrote:OK well 17-18 of September is looking good for Subaruby and El Freddo. I'm leaning towards this as well.

Oh and the Thompson River is flooding at the moment, which could make things interesting.
Just issue snorkels for those that attend :rolleyes:

I'll lock those dates in and get the time off ;) I'll probably have to be back for work at 10pm on the 18th though...

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:38 pm

You mean snorkels for people so they can swim into their car to save the laptop/wallet/phone? :-D:-D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:41 pm

Either one will do. I was thinking of a snorkel that comes with the goggles - the snorkel for the subi and the goggles for the driver :twisted: I didn't think about those little extra valuables...

And I love the subtle dig too, I'm not sure that many know the reference ;)

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Looking forward to this trip but wont be able to make the Friday night.
Can we organise a meet point for sat morning?
Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Saturday morning at the camp ground just north of town, around 10am? I'll be there all morning so feel free to arrive earlier, the coffee will be brewing :D

The plan is to get lost over the Thompson and then stuck, get unstuck and then find a camp ground for the night ;) I'll see if i can organise a winch this week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:59 am

Venom wrote:You mean snorkels for people so they can swim into their car to save the laptop/wallet/phone? :-D:-D
haha. I dont know the reference but i can only imagine lol :)

I would love to come along on 1 of these trips sometime, only have limited off road experience & standard Forester...& NO DESIRE to test out goggles lol! :p

PS: Just found out my foz has a saggy bum :(
Am already looking at lift springs...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:36 am

nachaluva wrote:haha. I dont know the reference but i can only imagine lol :)

That should give you a pretty good idea...

Looking forward to sleeping in that tip again Rhys! I'm going to look into organising some wood to come down with me ;)

If anyone happens to have a spare L series front drive shaft could you please pack it? I failed to think ahead a grab one from home last weekend when I was briefly there and think I might need one :???:

Just have to make sure I do my brake pads before I head off, swap the scorpions on and I'll be pretty much set.

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:23 am

El_Freddo wrote:
Looking forward to sleeping in that tip again Rhys! I'm going to look into organising some wood to come down with me ;)

If anyone happens to have a spare L series front drive shaft could you please pack it? I failed to think ahead a grab one from home last weekend when I was briefly there and think I might need one :???:

Just have to make sure I do my brake pads before I head off, swap the scorpions on and I'll be pretty much set.

Cheers

Bennie
Its a beautifull little camp ground, how we ended up in the shittest spot i don't know :confused: Firewood is a good idea for Friday night, we should be right to pick it up in the bush for Saturday night. There are about 6 drivedshafts lying around my place, you can have them all if you want! I'll bring 1 with me, just make sure you remind me on Friday with a text or something otherwise i'm likely to forget.

Are you going to eat at the pub? If so the kitchen opens at 6 and usually closes around 7 or even earlier if everyones been fed.
nachaluva wrote:haha. I dont know the reference but i can only imagine lol :)

I would love to come along on 1 of these trips sometime, only have limited off road experience & standard Forester...& NO DESIRE to test out goggles lol! :p

PS: Just found out my foz has a saggy bum :(
Am already looking at lift springs...
Mate feel free to come along if you want, you are more than welcome. Stock height is fine, clearance is pretty good on the newer cars and almost as good as a lifted L/ or MY series. The best thing about these trips is catching up with other people who love their Subarus! Good times always had by all.

I am going to do a camp oven roast for dinner Saturday night to feed us, it just can't be beat when it comes to a bush meal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Venom wrote:Are you going to eat at the pub? If so the kitchen opens at 6 and usually closes around 7 or even earlier if everyones been fed.
Yeah I was planning to... I think I've got about a 5 hour drive to get there, not really looking forward to that! The other issues I've got is that it's our "snowgies" night on thursday so I'll have to be careful about how much I drink and friday morning I have to swap the scorpions on. Might look into doing that thursday.

Looking forward to the whole thing!

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Ok i'm in! :D

Are we meeting at the Walhalla pub Fri nite? 6.00pm is pretty early for dinner but i'm sure i'll have no probs waking up my stomach lol.

Apart from camping gear is there anything you'd recommend me to bring?
Venom wrote: I am going to do a camp oven roast for dinner Saturday night to feed us, it just can't be beat when it comes to a bush meal.
Sounds awesum.... Do you want me to bring anything?

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Awesome glad you decided to come along.

I'm going to get to the camp ground Friday afternoon, say around 3-4pm. Pub at 6, then after eating etc back to the camp ground. So you can find us at either of those two places. I think i'll take my car to the pub, so anyone who comes along after 6 will know if we are there or not.

Gear which is good to have:
Snatch strap
2 rated D shackles
Shovel
Whatever oil/coolant you use
Tyre gauge
Air compressor
UHF handheld radio

Radio, snatch strap and shackles are probably most important but really between Subaruby, Bennie and I we can probably cover you for everything.

I can be contacted on 0409 006 559, but mobile coverage is sketchy in Walhalla.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Victoria”