Vicroads

timmo

Vicroads

Post by timmo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:07 pm

Just wondering if anyone from Victoria has had experience with registering a new engine number with Vicroads for an EA82T conversion > what do they require in regards to engineers certificates or receipts etc? I find the stuff on their website unclear.
Timmo
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:38 pm

well in short you need an enginerrs cert, i needed one for mine (it all ready had it) when i registered it from nsw to vic, if you put the rear disk break's on as well getting it enginered is simple, you could just give em the engine number and tell em you put a new engine in it... unless you have got a intercooler of somethign that gives it away, all Vic roads will look at is the Vin number and engine number then all u gotta do is get it past the guy who gets you the roadie... :wink:
L-series Ea82t, WAIC+BOV 1Bar, 15's, 5sp dr, WOLF3D V4+, =D

timmo

Post by timmo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:24 pm

yeah it'll have the rear discs when i get some more time off. It says on the website that if the vehicle was manufactured with the engine as an option, then an engineers certificate is not necessary. But i realise L series wagons were not sold in Aus with the EA82T so this is where it becomes blurred. Where would I go to get an engineers cert anyway?
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:13 pm

being in swifts creek i cant really help with a name.... but just make sure u have heat shielding over everythign near the turbo and there are lots and lots of wires hidden and a bit of proof or what the stuff came off.. i will if you like get you a copy of my enginerrs cert... it might help but if everythign is tidy and breaks are good and the car is otherwise road worthy then it should be a piece of piss...

just thinking though what year is your wago and what year was the donor car? My car is an 85 but has another year motor in it and the motor is an 85 so all the emmissions stuff is all good and no cat gonverter and i diddnt need to have an unleded restrictor in the filler neck... now that is an idea for ya...

feel free to gimme a call on 0425745783... am definatly will ing to lend a bit of a hand if u need it.. but my car isnt going any where near vic roads..... not going to happen

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:02 pm

what happens if vicroads refuses any mods that shouldnt be in first place such (only for example) as twin turbo EJ20 in L Series - I dont think they will accept it.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:51 pm

nah not a chance they will except it, unless you have the enginerrs cert to go with it,

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:23 pm

I've been told by vic roads that if the car is rego'd you only need to present the car for verification of the new number. No road worthy required. And in my mind, since the L series did come with and EA82 Turbo there should be no need for an engineer's cert so long as everything is how it should have been on the car of the same year (donor car).

Same if you need a RWC to rego the car, i don't see why you'd need an engineer's cert as a model of the car was produced with a turbo. It might make it easier in the process but it could be $$$ wasted for no reson.

But you know how vic roads and vic police operate, keep us in the dark while we're on a need to know basis...

I'd be headed to the local (or one further away that your not intending to get the car checked out at) vic roads joint to ask some questions.
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:26 pm

oh yeah, and vic roads will want a reciept to show proof of purchase. If it was from a private seller probabily a signature and an address too.
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

timmo

Post by timmo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:47 pm

yeah i'd hope its as easy as you say freddo but i havnt gone in there yet. working on receipt.
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:50 pm

the above is correct apart from; 1, the wagon never came out as turbo so it does in fact have to be engineered, but if you have proof of the vehicle that the donor parts came from then it will be a simple write up for the engineers,
2; if it was going from a sedan to a sedan then as the vic roads states it would not need to be engineered,
3; the 20%larger motor rule only can be applied if it came from the same model so eg L-series, so every one getting around with ej20NA motors in their cars they are illegal, (this rule guidelines vary from state to state)

This is the information that i was told by vic roads when i was contemplating doing a conversion a couple years ago,

but do check because depending on who you talk to the rules change EG when i came to register my car from NSW reg to VIC i was told i would need a road worthy and that the car would not need to be brought in for inspection, how ever this was indeed wrong and only due to the fact that i argued with them for a good 2 hours about out and it was the last day of my road worthy being valid they let me get away with it,

justin

timmo

Post by timmo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:26 pm

schultzie wrote:the above is correct apart from; 1, the wagon never came out as turbo so it does in fact have to be engineered
Vicroads state that an engineers cert is not required if the engine is one "offered as an option for that model by the manufacturer of the vehicle" Wagons were maufactured by subaru with the EA82T but they werent sold in Australia, but i'm guessing that although the wording doesnt state it, the option must have to of been available in Australia????

timmo
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:43 pm

yeah mate that is correct, it needed to be an option in aus, so as the wagon never came out as a turbo it needs to be enginerred, My mate dave had the same dellima with a nissan gazell, he told them the turbo engin was an option but it wasnt untill he went to sell it that they told him it needed to be enginerred and that was only because the car never had the turbo motor as an option in aus

timmo

Post by timmo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:16 am

Went up to my local Vicroads, ask the guy about engineers certificate etc. Stroke of luck hey..... turns out he used to own an RX haha, has a look under the bonnet, I give him the form and speed off. Easy.

Timmo
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

liberty92

Post by liberty92 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:09 pm

schultzie wrote: 3; the 20%larger motor rule only can be applied if it came from the same model so eg L-series, so every one getting around with ej20NA motors in their cars they are illegal, (this rule guidelines vary from state to state)

This is the information that i was told by vic roads when i was contemplating doing a conversion a couple years ago,

justin
Check this http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publ ... E/1031.pdf

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:51 pm

Well that is tops so when are we going to catch up for a drive?

yeah the epa rules arent hard to pass but it is also the other engineers stuff that will hold you up, because if you put that larger motor in you need to put extra bracing in and sufficient shielding, not hard to do... but still hard enough..

i dont know, but i will definatly give it a shot one day... but not tomorrow as i still love my little ea82t

Return to “Victoria”