Wreckers - what's there...

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:27 pm

heath wrote:Anybody seen any ea81s at wreakers I need a new carbie
I might be going to Jollys on Saturday morning - not confirmed yet anything need to eye out?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:25 am

AlpineRaven wrote:I might be going to Jollys on Saturday morning - not confirmed yet anything need to eye out?
Cheers
AP
L-series grey interior? Thanks
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:11 am

GTlegs wrote:L-series grey interior? Thanks
Still looking eh? Good luck ;)

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:13 am

El_Freddo wrote:Still looking eh? Good luck ;)

Bennie
yep. Bloody hard to find electric window type trims, considering the flat grey interiors were only sold in 1988 and some 1989 and only came with dark blue and charcoal coloured cars. Oh well.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:03 pm

>>Anybody seen any ea81s at wreakers I need a new carbie

Heath, your closest option would be PPNG on Heatherton Road outside Ringwood. They had a yellow 82 wagon (amongst others) in good nick which could be a good donor...

Dean.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

heath

Post by heath » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:22 pm

Sweet thanks for that ill head there tommorro. Let you guys no how I go and what's down there

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Sat May 03, 2008 11:06 pm

Went to Centre Road wreckers today. They had:

Liberty Sedan, Gen 2, Series 1
Liberty Sedan, Gen 1, Series 2 (Pretty much all picked except the motor)
Liberty x 2 Sedan, Gen 1, Series 1
Leone SW, All series 2 (two DL and one Royale with FI - motor is gone)
Vortex 2wd turbo - heads are gone
MY Sportswagon
Brumby

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 04, 2008 1:49 pm

GTlegs wrote:Went to Centre Road wreckers today. They had:

Liberty Sedan, Gen 2, Series 1
Liberty Sedan, Gen 1, Series 2 (Pretty much all picked except the motor)
Liberty x 2 Sedan, Gen 1, Series 1
Leone SW, All series 2 (two DL and one Royale with FI - motor is gone)
Vortex 2wd turbo - heads are gone
MY Sportswagon
Brumby
*thinks about how to get more money and time*

Wish uni was over for the semester and I had some cash under the belt. I would really like to get an EJ installed soon. The carbie is driving me insane - namely cos its very hard to start when cold >:-(

Ah well, good things take time ;)

Thanks for the update Roman, thought this thread had died...

Cheers

Bennie

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Sun May 04, 2008 2:33 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Wish uni was over for the semester and I had some cash under the belt. I would really like to get an EJ installed soon. The carbie is driving me insane - namely cos its very hard to start when cold >:-(
Bennie
Try this. Turn key to position where all lights come on (turns on fuel pump). Pump the accelerator pedal at medium pace twice/three times. On the last pump dont let the pedal out all the way, but only about a third of the way back. Hold the accelerator pedal there and try starting the engine.

Sometimes when it really cold the above step will lead to stutter, and then then engine will stop again. If this happens, press the accelerator pedal all the way in and holding it start the motor.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 04, 2008 8:48 pm

GTlegs wrote:Try this. Turn key to position where all lights come on (turns on fuel pump). Pump the accelerator pedal at medium pace twice/three times. On the last pump dont let the pedal out all the way, but only about a third of the way back. Hold the accelerator pedal there and try starting the engine.

Sometimes when it really cold the above step will lead to stutter, and then then engine will stop again. If this happens, press the accelerator pedal all the way in and holding it start the motor.
Yeah, just been talking to a mate about what its doing - he had the same problem, the fix was about 16 full pumps on the throttle, choke on, don't touch the throttle and turn her over. Worked a treat tonight - but it had been run a few hours before, so tomorrow will be the test (looks like it will be a frost). Think the carbie needs a rebuild :(

Thanks for the method though, i'll give it a go after work tomorrow.

Cheers

Bennie

L-BJ

Post by L-BJ » Sun May 04, 2008 10:52 pm

this may be a waste of time, but in my reading of the L booklet found that they recommend when starting a cold carby82, you should pump clutch half way, let out, then pump accelerator bout half as well, let out, turn her over. It works for me every time, but not sure how hard a life your carby has had (mines had a pretty easy one from what i gather). beats pumping 16times...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 04, 2008 10:59 pm

L-BJ wrote:they recommend when starting a cold carby82, you should pump clutch half way, let out, then pump accelerator bout half as well, let out, turn her over.
Hmmm... I wonder what the clutch has to do with it.

Bennie

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon May 05, 2008 6:45 am

Forgot to say that I have an automatic (pfft whatever) choke, not a manual one.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 05, 2008 4:26 pm

GTlegs wrote:Forgot to say that I have an automatic (pfft whatever) choke, not a manual one.
Going from MPFI to the 1984 carbie EA82 I couldn't be bothered installing a cable (car never had one being a 1988 model), so i've go a "choke rope" that comes up from under the bonnet. It used to be long til I ran it over while reversing from a carpart - I didn't place it back properly. Guess I don't have to worry about that.

Mum told me "maybe you should do some work on your car". I felt like telling her to give me some money to EJ it, but I bit my tongue instead...

My "pump 16 times" didn't work this morning - had to jump start it AGAIN :evil:

Bennie

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon May 05, 2008 4:40 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Mum told me "maybe you should do some work on your car". I felt like telling her to give me some money to EJ it, but I bit my tongue instead...

My "pump 16 times" didn't work this morning - had to jump start it AGAIN :evil:

Bennie
Your mum is awesome!

Also if you pump it more than 2-3 times, you flood the carburator - if you flood it, you have to floor the accellerator, then turn the engine over until it starts (the excess fuel then gets dumped into your exhaust)

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon May 05, 2008 4:40 pm

and anyway, you also gotta do a little dance around the car and sacrifice a chicken to get it started in the cold - if you dont have a choke. :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 05, 2008 8:39 pm

GTlegs wrote:Your mum is awesome!
I'll let her know, it'll make her day :D
GTlegs wrote:Also if you pump it more than 2-3 times, you flood the carburator - if you flood it, you have to floor the accellerator, then turn the engine over until it starts (the excess fuel then gets dumped into your exhaust)
I think thats a part of it. I'm starting to suspect a vacuum leak. This arvo I was able to get it started using the 16 pump method. It would fire (Fire as in run for a few revolutions) then die straight after - another 16 pumps and it would fire, then die. After this for about 4 or 5 runs she slowly regained to idle level. Every time I tried to give it some throttle during the firing bit it immediately died.

Things I did this time - had the ignition on while pumping (fuel pump running), choke on as usual. The only difference to this morning to this afternoon was the temprature... Will be trying it again tomorrow.

Think i'll be looking for a vacuum leak this weekend if I get the chance.

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat May 10, 2008 11:21 am

Hey guys,
Just visited Pick-a-part half hour ago as 1121am, 10/5/08.

• 1992 Liberty FWD sedan automatic for sale $1100 RHS Fender/indicator is damaged - easy fix it to get a panel & indicator from the yard, nice clean sedan, if I had the money I would've bought it by now and clean up & sell. Engine is 307,000kms I think but from what I could tell it has been well look after apart from the damage.

• 1991 Sedan Blue, Manual FWD, no wire loom (dash has been removed and bit messy - assume someone came to get wireloom for EJ conversion.) otherwise EJ22 engine still there, seats etc still there.
• 1990 wagon FWD auto - maroon - inside is bare, engine half complete missing parts.
• L Series 1988 (I think it was grey?) carby auto FWD seems to be ok
• XT Vortex (same one as above posting)
• L Series 1991 white manual D/R 4WD wagon set of 5 Sunraysa rims 13" still complete (one rim has damage but ok for spare) - fresh car arrived the yard. clean inside - pity its a good nick being wrecked - shame yeah.

Cheers
Tristan
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

batesy

Post by batesy » Sat May 10, 2008 1:04 pm

cheers alpine raven, which pick ap art? kilsyth or campbellfield?

cheers

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat May 10, 2008 6:02 pm

batesy wrote:cheers alpine raven, which pick ap art? kilsyth or campbellfield?

cheers
Oh oops
Campbellfield...

Can we make this thread sticky?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

Return to “Victoria”