Wreckers - what's there...

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:48 am

The red vortex at immalachs is long gone, there is now a grey one down the end if that's what you're refering to? Didn't look carefully when I was there on Monday but interior looked mostly complete.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:52 am

ScubyRoo wrote:The red vortex at immalachs is long gone, there is now a grey one down the end if that's what you're refering to? Didn't look carefully when I was there on Monday but interior looked mostly complete.
Two/three weeks ago there was a white one down there at the bottom end of the subaru line up... I could have sworn it was white!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Imlach's had a white vortex, radio was in it but the face plate was cracked. I have a photo but unable to upload at this point in time due to being on a different computer.
They also had a couple of gen 1 Libs, wagons and sedans. Two gen 2 libs, both sedans I think. Two fozzes, one was 99 model the other was older I think.

Pick A Part had a couple of gen 1 libs, two sedans and a wagon I think. There was a 85 Leone and an Lseries.

Jolly's had two Imps, a sedan and a hatch. sedan was 99 model. They had a 98? foz. And an l series.

The place in Ringwood (Pick Pay N Go) doesn't seem to be there anymore. I could not find it.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Pick Pay n Go closed quite a long time ago.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Phizinza wrote:Imlach's had a white vortex, radio was in it but the face plate was cracked. I have a photo but unable to upload at this point in time due to being on a different computer.
They also had a couple of gen 1 Libs, wagons and sedans. Two gen 2 libs, both sedans I think. Two fozzes, one was 99 model the other was older I think.

Pick A Part had a couple of gen 1 libs, two sedans and a wagon I think. There was a 85 Leone and an Lseries.

Jolly's had two Imps, a sedan and a hatch. sedan was 99 model. They had a 98? foz. And an l series.

The place in Ringwood (Pick Pay N Go) doesn't seem to be there anymore. I could not find it.
ooh ooh I wanna go see but i have no money! I think i might need to sell my body! (Any takers - must be good looking AND FEMALE!) :rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:17 pm

nachaluva wrote:ooh ooh I wanna go see but i have no money! I think i might need to sell my body! (Any takers - must be good looking AND FEMALE!) :rolleyes:
There were two foresters when I was there, but they were for sale as complete vehicles - one was a '99 I think, dual range manual, EJ20 same styling as yours Matt, but in an emerald green colour, two tone as well.

The other was a silver forester, auto. Didn't really pay much attention once I found out it was an auto.

Both had been rear ended in one way or another and would need to be inspected before it would be allowed registration again. Good for parts though.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:28 am

What is Vic Roads stance on repairable write offs?

NSW RTA has changed things, preventing any Tom, Dick, Costa or Habib from buying two halves to stick together, or even the Rangies with a seagull dent to the bonnet and reregister to resell - nothing to do with rebirthing of stolens just keeping potential or proven disaster off the road.

Seagull dings - insurance companies allegedly appear to be writing vehicles off on very minor , easy fix damage

Now involves about ten steps, RTA approval is first, car must be yours last five years, or special in motoring significance, of limited run , etc, etc.

However, if another state or territory allows it to be reregistered again after a fix of some sort, NSW will allow a rego transfer - Go Figure ??

Wrecking yards are becoming fewer and fewer all the time, some blame the scrap merchants getting the cars first, others coz no one fixes cars anymore, or they don't need fixing or last longer, or new is cheaper for many parts

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:01 pm

steptoe wrote:What is Vic Roads stance on repairable write offs?
There are repairable write offs that can be re-registered, and there are statuary write offs that are maybe only good for parts.

The repairable write offs need to be repaired back to near original condition with sound workmanship being done, if it's obviously dodgy it won't pass. But that said, we've had 1 or 2 of these vehicles now and to get them rego'd you need to have them roadworthied as usual then take them to a Vicroads facility that apparently does an inspection to approve it for it's registration where you then need to have it registered at a vicroads office that you've got a booking with.

In saying that they "inspect" the vehicle at this particular facility is a stretch - all they did was verify the VIN and engine numbers as they would at any other vicroads office when you go for the vehicle's rego. Dad was super pissed about this as he took an entire day off to drive a 3 hour round trip to have the vehicle "inspected". He was lucky if he was there for 15 minutes! Then it had to go in for another session to get it's rego as they either didn't do it at this other facility or he didn't have a booking for it...

steptoe wrote:NSW RTA has changed things, preventing any Tom, Dick, Costa or Habib from buying two halves to stick together, or even the Rangies with a seagull dent to the bonnet and reregister to resell - nothing to do with rebirthing of stolens just keeping potential or proven disaster off the road.

Seagull dings - insurance companies allegedly appear to be writing vehicles off on very minor , easy fix damage

Now involves about ten steps, RTA approval is first, car must be yours last five years, or special in motoring significance, of limited run , etc, etc.

However, if another state or territory allows it to be reregistered again after a fix of some sort, NSW will allow a rego transfer - Go Figure ??

Wrecking yards are becoming fewer and fewer all the time, some blame the scrap merchants getting the cars first, others coz no one fixes cars anymore, or they don't need fixing or last longer, or new is cheaper for many parts
Yeah it's really all a disposable society these days which is a real shame. And they're also trying to phase out the older vehicles to make sure that a greater number of vehicles have all the safety features in them that apparently make them safer.

Cheers

Bennie

Maggoo

Post by Maggoo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:50 am

Does anyone know if there are any L series at pick a part, Campbell field or Kilsyth, with the dual range gearbox still in it??
If not any other self server cheap wreckers?

Cheers,

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:54 am

I'm going to centre road today and will look for you.

Dual range L series gearbox - is that the one with the '4wd' lever?
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

Maggoo

Post by Maggoo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Yeah thats the one
Cheers

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Maggoo wrote:Does anyone know if there are any L series at pick a part, Campbell field or Kilsyth, with the dual range gearbox still in it??
If not any other self server cheap wreckers?
You can check to see what's a Pick a Part with their "what's in stock" listing.

Generally if it's a station wagon 87 and onwards it will be dual range, if it's a sedan it's hit and miss, generally a miss. If it's a pre-87 stationwagon it could be a dual range 4wd, single range 4wd or 2wd - there was a very limited run of 2wd wagons that came out in the L series model for some reason...

Sometimes you have to check under "leone" or "leoni" or something of the like. It's not 100% accurate, but it gives you an idea of what's there. Plus it will tell you what the specials are too ;)

Happy hunting!

Cheers

Bennie

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Updates 6-1-12:

PAP Kilsyth : 4 gen 1 Liberty's, 3 sedan and 1 wagon. All appeared fairly complete. 1 L Touring wagon, carby.

Jollys Ringwood (formerly Pick Pay n Go, which closed awhile back as earlier in this thread) : Only just starting to set this yard up but it has 3 Subaru's - 1 Impreza (red, bad damage to front), 1 Forester, and 1 Liberty (2nd gen). Jolly's still has the Dandenong yard operating, from their computer system (you can access both yards at the one site on different terminals) they had a few Liberty's (Gen 1 and 2) and an interesting looking L series wagon - had a metal bullbar (badly damaged) and what looks like alloy wheels - hard to tell from photo.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:58 am

The L series at Jolly's in Dandenong used to have a set of 13" alloys. They're the lightest wheel i've ever picked up in my life :D They are more MY/Brumby offset though, stick past the gaurds a bit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Venom wrote:The L series at Jolly's in Dandenong used to have a set of 13" alloys. They're the lightest wheel i've ever picked up in my life :D They are more MY/Brumby offset though, stick past the gaurds a bit.
Are you saying that these rims are now in your possession? They'd look sweet on the wagon ;) ;) :twisted:

And are they lighter than those rally rims you've got??

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Had a good day out today on the back of the big day out yesterday!

Campbellfield PAP:

No L series, 1 liberty engine gone. But that's not what I was there for - I was there for an Astron 2000 head for Kez's old sigma we're getting going again. The head removal took about an hour and it's in top condition :D

I also scored that 4wd instrument cluster pack from a toyota tercel. It's not in the best condition, but it should do the job once I work out where to mount it. Pretty stoked, got it for $10 too :D

Then it was off to Centre Rd wreckers:

There was a diff here that I was super keen to check out after my last quick visit back in November last year - it was still there :D Once it was removed from it's rear end assembly I got really excited as I was thinking that it was one of these rear lockers from an audi quattro - or an alfa romeo, I can't remember anymore. Anyway, I was half way through removing the rear cover plate that's got two wires that head into the diff and I thought, bloody murphy will have that it's not the diff I'm after. Yep, I was correct in this thought - the wires were some sort of ABS type application so the ECU knew when the rear diff was spinning faster than the front, I think anyway.

No stress, had a good walk around the yard checking out lots of things, got rained on, checked out the subi's:

Loads of libertys there at the moment - Gen1s, maybe a Gen2 in there, didn't really pay all that much attention.

2 or 3 imprezzas, I remember 2 hatches, all were front wheel drive EJ18's

2 L series 4wd wagons

1 Flori

1 token Vortex, the same as last time, heads + intake missing.

Cheers

Bennie

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:45 pm

were is this center rd wreckers? for the vortex
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:10 am

El_Freddo wrote: I also scored that 4wd instrument cluster pack from a toyota tercel. It's not in the best condition, but it should do the job once I work out where to mount it. Pretty stoked, got it for $10 too :D
Cool :cool:

Best place to mount it is on the dash of a certain silver '97 Forester :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:14 pm

thunder039 wrote:were is this center rd wreckers? for the vortex
Check the first page for the link to their website ;)
nachaluva wrote:Cool :cool:

Best place to mount it is on the dash of a certain silver '97 Forester :p
Good luck with that mate! Think I might need to keep an eye on it once it's installed...

Cheers

Bennie

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Thu May 17, 2012 7:11 pm

i've put the vortex awd box on ebay if anyones interested:

Subaru Vortex 1989 AWD gearbox! 5sp manual, diff lock model. now on ebay!
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Return to “Victoria”