car stranded in Bussleton

95Liberty

car stranded in Bussleton

Post by 95Liberty » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Does anyone hav a car trailer i can borrow. The car been blowing fuses every 5 minutes 2day and is in bussleton.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:29 pm

RSR555 aka Paul has one but he is out on the ocean being a pirate.

which fuses are blowing? if you can isolate the problem perhaps you can drive it home with the offending item unplugged.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

95Liberty

Post by 95Liberty » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:48 pm

TOONGA wrote:RSR555 aka Paul has one but he is out on the ocean being a pirate.

which fuses are blowing? if you can isolate the problem perhaps you can drive it home with the offending item unplugged.

TOONGA
The fuel pump fuse is blowing.
it blew 2 fuses in 15 minutes and another one soon after that. It did this 2day when my brother tried 2 drive home from Bussleton. Previous to this , it happened once the other day and last week in the dunes and a few mounths ago.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:35 pm

ah ok, it is a bit hard to drive it without a fuel pump.

I know Gleno works for people who rent trailers, they may rent car trailers as well but I'm not sure about that.

TOONGA

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Matt.. I do have a trailer but feel it wouldn't make the long trip to Busso :(

I would say the fuel pump is on it's way out and I'd put a 30amp (and grab a pack of 20) fuse in there and get the car home. I can look at it when I get home in 2 weeks. I'm not sure what pump was ever used in there?? maybe ask Outback Bloke or Jay.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Jay would have no idea. Probably wasn't a great idea sending it on such a long trip with it blowing fuses randomly.

Like Paul said could be a busted fuel pump or just the wiring in general on that car as per my PM I sent you.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

95Liberty

Post by 95Liberty » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 am

The fuel pump is only 2 years old or less. I don't know what brand it is. When I got my car dyno tuned,they recommended upgrading the fuel pump

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:40 am

Matt.. did you have the pump replaced? and is so, did you buy a new one or was a secondhand one fitted? I remember you had some work done by JWS and if they fitted one then I'm sure they would have just used a s/hand one. Try the extra fuse plan and if that doesn't work then ring some towing guys (private guys) and see what they would charge.. sometimes it works out cheaper in the end.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:40 am

If the cost to tow it home is something unbelieveable then maybe for a fee i can drive down and bypass the fuel pump wiring to get it back. Obviously u would need to pay for my fuel and time but still might be cheaper.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:46 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:If the cost to tow it home is something unbelieveable then maybe for a fee i can drive down and bypass the fuel pump wiring to get it back. Obviously u would need to pay for my fuel and time but still might be cheaper.

Dave
Awesome offer Dave and one I think Matt would be mad to turn down.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:54 pm

he would be looking at at least 500 dollars to get a truck to bring it back to Perth.

TOONGA

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:46 pm

I did say a "private guy" as he would charge half that

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

95Liberty

Post by 95Liberty » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:25 pm

A mate who does towing for the rac said they charge something like 3 bucks per km.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Why don't you replace the fuel pump and just drive it home - would be the cheapest and safest option, especially since you have to replace it anyway ??

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Knowing the vehicle i belive its unlikely to be the fuel pump itself and more the wiring going to it or related to something else in the circuit. This vehicle has had a few engine transplants and much of the wiring isn't standard.

Probably wouldnt hurt to have a fuel pump on hand just incase and return it to the store if ya don't need it.

PM sent.

Dave

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:08 pm

I've got the pump out of my 2.2 98 Lib which ran the STI motor without a problem, only did 113,000km, let me know if you need it.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:58 pm

My misses is in Mandurah so I'm there half of the week if u still needing a hand am happy to lend 1 in repairing or towing it even with a hire trailer

Tristan
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:27 am

I remember reading on another forum where a fuel pump was replaced at a dodgy garage, where they joined the fuel pump wires inside the tank, with just solder and leccy tape.

Well the tape dissolved and the two soldered joints kept touching and blowing the fuel pump fuse. I suppose they were lucky there was no oxygen inside the fuel tank when it happened as under the right conditions, it could have gone... BOOM!
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

kj0

Post by kj0 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:28 am

U-Haul are $80 for 4 hours. YOu can have a look on their website to get other figures. We've used them quite oftern. There is a $200 Deposit but you get that back afterwards.

Might be your best option to get it home. for about $160 = 8 hours, you can get there, load it up, get back. That's u-Haul, but I'm not sure if you have them in WA. Otherwise, that's just an idea what a trailer may cost you.

95Liberty

Post by 95Liberty » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:44 pm

The car is back home now. Dave and Dave went down 2 Bussleton and worked on the problem. As it turns out, it wasn't the fuel pump or the wiring to it, but some dodgy wires elsewhere touching the body. Drove it all the way bak without blowing any fuses

Return to “Western Australia”